Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: jgw An amusement - no politics! - 01/07/21 08:04 PM
https://www.kickassfacts.com/god-has-mad...what-do-you-do/
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/07/21 08:27 PM
If it was me I'd rapture all them MAGA motherfu*kers right up to heaven, along with their right wing counterparts all over the world.

I think the rest of us could sort it out among ourselves.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/07/21 08:42 PM
If they are going to Heaven, I want to go to Hell.
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/07/21 08:58 PM
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/07/21 09:03 PM
All that's really required is for the gamemasters is to reduce the spawn rate of certain glitchy NPCs. Attrition will reduce their numbers to a more manageable level. no need for expensive dramatics like creating a heaven to send them too.
Posted By: logtroll Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/09/21 02:59 PM
Posted By: Ujest Shurly Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/13/21 01:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Greger
All that's really required is for the gamemasters is to reduce the spawn rate of certain glitchy NPCs. Attrition will reduce their numbers to a more manageable level. no need for expensive dramatics like creating a heaven to send them too.

Ahh, another gamer ThumbsUp
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/14/21 01:46 AM
Yes, indeed. Started with Ultima Online many years ago, moved from PC gaming to console a few years ago. Fallout 4 is in the PS right now but I'm done with it and have a bit of a logjam of games I want to play next. Ghost of Tsushima is what I want next but AC Valhalla is pretty damn interesting too.

I've moved to where the internet is fast enough for MMORPGs so I'm looking into some of those too. Elder Scrolls online is leading that charge but we'll see what happens...I'm doing a major remodel here to make the house more wheelchair friendly and don't have a lot of time to sit and play. But I've got some surgery coming up that's liable to put me back in the gaming chair for a few weeks...
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/14/21 04:17 AM
I just had a ham sandwich: Homegrown romaine lettuce, homegrown tomato, homegrown avocado, home-baked rye bread.

It was delicious! Small victories are all we get now...
Posted By: Ujest Shurly Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/14/21 10:30 AM
How are you on Space Sims, Star Citizen A playable PvEvP in Alpha state, will still be a few years yet, needs a beefy machine though and has a steep learning curve.

Still play (10+ years) The Lord of the Rings Online a F2P/Sub PvE with PvP as an afterthought. Do not play as much as before - taking a break...

I'm PC based, no console.

Either way, GAME ON...
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/14/21 08:13 PM
This machine used to be pretty beefy but it's 8 years old now. The fastest internet I've ever had though was 1.5 mbps. It's over 90 mbps here and I can upgrade to 400 or even 1000.

When my house sells, I'm gonna have a bundle of cash so a new computer, likely a custom built "budget" gaming machine will be on the list of things I buy.

Modern online gaming is a complete mystery to me. Uh...can you use a game controller or would I need to learn keyboard controls? I've never been good with keyboards but I could run my entire life with a game controller.
Posted By: Ujest Shurly Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/14/21 09:24 PM
Modern day PC game controllers: keyboard, mouse, game pad, keypad, joystick, HOTAS, HOSAS, voice programs, stream deck, head tracking, eye tracking, and I am sure other types of game controlling items and of course headphones with mic for the game and voice chat (Discord, Teamspeak, etc outside of game).

All modern PC based games can be controlled with keyboard and/or key pad and mouse. Many will configure for a controller (like from an X-Box and other game consoles).

Everything listed above can be used in Star Citizen in some combination. For example, I use a Corsair K100 keyboard, Redragon K-585 DITI key pad, Corsair Scimitar Elite mouse, Thrustmaster T16000 joysticks (dual, for 6 DOF), TrackIR V5 head tracking, an Amazon Fire HD 10 for Gameglass and sometimes VoiceAttack and looking to get an Elgato Stream Deck. Most of today's games do not require as many controllers, just a keyboard and mouse or game controller

As far as the machine, well that will depend on what your playing. The current top of the line consumer game machine would be an AMD Ryzen 9 Gen 3 5950X 16 core, 32 thread CPU, (an AMD Threadripper can be substituted) with at least 32GB ram (recommend 64GB game dependent) with an AIO Liquid cooler, an AMD RX 6800 8GB or better GPU and at least one NVMe M2 PCIe 4 1 Terabyte SSD (HDDs are cheap but once you go SSD you never go slow). The internet connection should be at least 500mb or a 1 Gb most games are now DLC and are 20, 30 to 100GB in size.

I stopped using Intel CPUs years ago, so not familiar with them.

There is much more but the above should be enough to help you plan a setup.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/14/21 10:30 PM
Funny, professionally I've written a bootloader for a 256 core AI processor, verified a 4 channel 100 Mbps DSL chip design before sending it to the foundry, written code for a wide-band digital radio for US Government law enforcement use, designed and built a 3D mouse, demonstrated a prototype video body volume measurement device to NASA, etc.

But the last game I ever played was a few rounds of MS. Pacman on an arcade machine.
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/15/21 04:59 PM
Games have come a long way since then. Fallout 4 cost $200 Million to produce...It grossed over $2 Billion. My next foray into gaming will likely be Ghost of Tsushima...battling the Mongol invasion on a Japanese island in the 13th century. After that maybe I'll look into cobbling together some sort of gaming machine or maybe just get the new PS5 when it becomes more widely available.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/16/21 10:17 AM
My mouse hand gets a tremor when I'm under stress, so no gaming for me. Sometimes I have to use both hands to stop it so I can click on something. I'm more into passive entertainment online these days.

And farming, to a tiny extent. I have 16 little hydroponic romaine plants growing in my hothouse.
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/16/21 04:55 PM
No mouse required. How're your thumbs and trigger fingers? A game controller has two joysticks, four triggers and eight buttons. Jerks, tremors, and general clumsiness aren't as much an issue as with a keyboard and mouse. You grip it tightly in both hands.

Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/16/21 05:58 PM
For what its worth I have found that the tremors just get worse. I take PROPRANOLOL HCL 10MG TAB 3 times a day and it helps.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/16/21 09:08 PM
I accidently hit the left mouse button all the time, so I have to back my browser up to get out of the selected link. I also type horribly, even if I can remember how to spell the damned word. You guys are fortunate I proofread and go back to fix the mistakes in every sentence.

For example:
I'm runniong Windows 10 on a laptop that supposedly can' run it, which means the mouse driver does not support disabling the touchpad. So as I type, my thumbs often hot the touchpad and send the cursor off to who knws where.
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/17/21 12:51 AM
Quote:
I'm runniong Windows 10 on a laptop that supposedly can' run it, which means the mouse driver does not support disabling the touchpad

So I reckon you're too poor to get a decent computer? or are you saving up for your old age...?

Right now you should be able to get a used PS 4 at any Gamestop for dirt cheap....

I've got serious mobility issues. Console video games are like interactive movies nowadays. To me, not unlike reading an adventure novel. The artwork is visually amazing! You can fly airplanes, slay dragons, fight off the Mongol hoards, drive race cars, climb an exact replica of Notre Dame. Pilot a gondola around 16th century Venice...

The adventures are endless.

And I've got time on my hands.

In real life...I've started playing shuffleboard.
Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/17/21 07:31 PM
I moved to Ubuntu several years ago. Its a different world. On the upside there is ALWAYS help available. Its also free!

My tremor thing has destroyed my signature - now its just an illegible scribble.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/17/21 09:13 PM
I ran an Ubuntu machine a while back for chip verification. It worked fine. So later I tried to use one as a DVR. That worked, but then failed after the first update. Then later the special hardware drivers I needed got upgraded so it worked again. Then the OS got updated, and it failed again. Then the hardware makers gave up and stopped updating their drivers for a constantly shifting Linux environment.

Went back to Windows 7 and got it all working again. Had to upgrade for various reasons to Windows 10, and Microsoft had stripped out their DVR software for no particular reason. Said "screw it" and subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime, and started watching YouTube.
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/18/21 05:03 PM
All excuses a person might make if they were as poor as me. My machine was originally Windows 7. I loaded Windows 10 as soon as it came out, had some issues early on but it ironed itself out over time.

You can round up a used machine for cheap at any computer shop. Or if you go with a desktop you can order the parts and build it yourself. I'm gonna keep this machine running another year or so until the re-model is finished then I'll build something capable of any gaming I'm liable to do.

I'm a desktop guy. I have enormous hands and need a fullsize keyboard to type effectively, I've never been comfortable with laptops. My eyes aren't so good either so I like a huge monitor too.

You aint poor, man, you've told us how well you've done. So why you such a cheap ass...?
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/18/21 07:29 PM
Failure to communicate

I am trying to cope with the decisional conflict of purchasing a new computer, as my standby machine was a Dell Latitude running Win7. It still computes just fine, except for a bit of overheating (likely cat fur in fan), but it has a severe failure to communicate. It started with WiFi but progressed to being unable to communicate through the Ethernet cables that I never removed. I can write an email or text and save to thumb drive and go upstairs to the Win7desktop, though that risks "feedback" from wife as desktop is in woman cave.
Right now I'm using the desktop, but downstairs I'm limited to an Amazon fire tablet, which wears out my index fingers.

I originally hesitated to upgrade as I would have to go to Win10 with any new laptop or desktop for that matter.
Then since work requiring windows was no longer a constraint, I even started reviewing the new MacBookpros and Ipad pros, which made decisions even worse.
Macs seem much more friendly with Iphones, as even my wife has no problem with her old Ipad and phone syncing.

Then I saw that DragonSpeech, which I used for years was no longer available or supported in the Mac world, though some say I could run in in a windows window on the Macbook-pros.
What could possibly go worng with that? Maybe if I introduce myself to allexa she could fix everything.

Like Greger, i prefer a desktop and a big screen, with a mouse which I use instinctively with photo-editing in Picassa which was also autopilot for me after snap editing images for at least 5000 conferences, but Picassa is no more except in Win7 world!

Then, since Im into music again, it would be great to have all my sheet music on a tablet on a music stand, so I can find the right selection in concert band rehearsals and performances, and make the musical notes large enough to read with reading glasses. Covid stopped the Band. Then I figured why not look into music editing and midi processing, and then why not digitize and edit all the kids videos, stored on VHS, Hi8,etc but Hi8 camera was lost by miscreant kid, so have to look for new playback machines... you get the picture!

My wife has a solution for me, buy one of each computers and if you dont like it, sell it.
At this point I start drinking and hit brain dump/erase/delete, until my fingers get tired again.

I suspect none of you will be very sympathetic to my plight, as I have never ventured into gaming other than PONG, which I think can be run on something in the pile of kid abandoned gaming bin.

NWP had a post cheering about how much fun he was having with digital recording, that also made me hesitate even more.

Im lucky that I dont have any real computer project deadlines that could stimulate decision making, Oh, and then there is Covid that keeps me from going out and actually laying hands on a new machine.

We are signed up for our first Covid immunization in Mid Feb, so maybe then I will seriously start active procrastination. It is all a great distraction from the smouldering nation!

cant decide between
Sincerely and
Stay well
So I'll use both
Thank you very much!
TAT
ATT
TTA
Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/18/21 07:49 PM
There is a number of different ubuntus. I have found that they can even be mixed. My wife uses windows 10. I used to do a lot of coding and used windows but linux is better for that as the software can be compiled for both OS's.

My main problem is that I don't mess with my wife's machine unless its blowed up. I built it so I can fix it and its the hardware. I have, pretty much, lost my knowledge about windows as I am now used to something different. When she has a problem I usually just goto a good forum and ask the question. For Windows I use cnet (used to own stock in that one). I usually get answers in 1 day off that one. My main problem with getting answers on the net is that some of the answers are years old. I no longer do that and have found getting current answers is MUCH better!
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/18/21 11:36 PM
My current computer is a Dell Latitude wide laptop, with an I5 and a fairly huge hard drive. I use a 22" monitor and a Logitech mouse. It does have a full-size keyboard. The only thing I don't like about it is the damned touchpad.

This monitor size is perfect for my vision: Any bigger and it would be hard to watch TV on it at my optimal viewing distance. I rarely even use the full screen for video.

I've been building my own computers for about 44 years. Dozens of them. I don't really enjoy it much anymore. Last time my wife's computer went South, I bought her a Windows 10 computer the size of a cigarette pack and left it all up to the maker. I tend to wait until they poop out before updating. I'd probably get one similar to hers when I do.
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/19/21 12:41 AM
I bought my daughter two of those Dells. The one you describe sounds almost identical to the last one I bought her. They're just about bulletproof.

Other than the touch pad I think the laptop keyboards are just too flat. I like a banked 3 dimensional keyboard, I've got enormous and rather clumsy hands...3XL glove size. I'm not much good with cell phones either.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/19/21 04:09 AM
Dell Latitudes were designed to take a licking, and the department, knowing our history of computer abuse, mandated Latitudes, and they were right.

Multifunctional woodworking tools can do many tasks, but rarely as well as dedicated single function tools. I think it is too much to ask a single computer to be optimal in meeting all my needs and desires, and be portable, and affordable. I see multiple machines in my future, but probably first a Windows 10 laptop with multiple USB ports for mouse, separate keyboard, and whatever else like a CD/DVD that is no longer a feature on laptops. Or maybe an old latitude with pirated Windows 7!
Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/19/21 06:51 PM
I bought an HP laptop with a 15" screen a couple of years ago. It didn't have an operating system, or hard drive, and cost me 100.00 It has a 1tb drive, a cd/dvd and 12 gb of memory. Its an older model agout 2" thick. It works just fine (put ubuntu on it) and I use it when I am watching tv. Its good and its fast (2.4ghz) I would like something that weighs less but too lazy and cheap to replace it. its a good machine and it was cheap.

its strange. I haven't checked prices on used laptops for a while. Just did, for some reason they cost more now than they did a couple of years ago! Must be kids getting laptops for school has kept the prices up. The other day I thought I would check the prices of motherboards. Those prices are, I think, a bit high too. I expect that, over time, it will be better.

I buy most of this stuff on ebay.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/20/21 09:26 PM
My Latitude I bought used on Ebay too, for some ridiculously low price. I bought it around the time I5s were coming off a 2 year lease, so there was a glut of them. It has been very reliable, probably because I never move it. By then, manufacturers were getting good at building laptops that could take some physical abuse. It came in perfect condition, so I expect the original user never used it as a portable either.

I tend to replace computers when they break, so this one may last a while. It's still way faster than I need. Plays video just fine. I could probably use some better speakers, but the audio hardware is way more sophisticated than I need.
Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/20/21 09:40 PM
I have one machine which I use for tv. I run the signals through a denon receiver. Works pretty good. I have attached it to a 65" tv. I did that about 3 years ago and it was a bugger to get it all going but, now, its running just fine.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/21/21 10:29 PM
I had higher aspirations: I bought three 2-channel ethernet TV tuners and three long distance antennas. I could tune about 35 LA and San Diego channels plus their subchannels. I wanted to be able to record six channels at the same time. The schedule software was excellent, so I picked out a whole bunch of things to record. Windows 7 supported that and made a great DVR. Better than anything the cable or satellite TV people offered. The playback function even had a pretty good "commercial skip" function.

Worked great for a couple of years but then the software upgrades, hardware obsolesence, and rise of online speed and services made it all less useful.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/22/21 07:00 PM
All of this is fine for you LINIX folks and professional programmers, but I am so language impaired that I couldn't even learn Spanish by living in South America for two years. I'm syntactically challenged, and programing Languages might just as well be Greek.

I got very enthusiastic about Arduinos, until I realized that I would have to talk to them! I can handle Boas, and Anacondas, but Python strangled me.

All these communication protocols and standards terrify and frustrate me.

I have, however, been able to work out a, State of the Art solution ,for sound on sound recordings, though the spector wall of sound effect is still beyond my skill set, but it didn't work out for him anyway.

TAT

State of the Art solution
Posted By: perotista Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/27/21 05:16 PM
Here's something you might enjoy, perhaps a bit of a moral at the end.

The Lawyer

A lawyer, who had a wife and 12 children, needed to move because his rental agreement was terminated by the owner, who wanted to reoccupy the home.

When he said he had 12 children, no one would rent a home to him because they felt the children would destroy the place.

He couldn’t say he had no children because he couldn’t lie (as we all know, lawyers cannot, and do not lie).

So he sent his wife for a walk to the cemetery with 11 of their kids.

He took the remaining one with him to see rental homes with the real estate agent.

He loved one of the homes and the price was right.

The agent asked “How many children do you have?

He answered: “Twelve.”

The agent asked, “Where are the others?”

The lawyer, with his best courtroom sad look, answered “They’re in the cemetery with their mother.”

MORAL: It’s not necessary to lie; one has only to choose the right words.

Don’t forget-most politicians are lawyers……
Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/27/21 07:18 PM
Good one!!
Posted By: logtroll Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/30/21 05:29 PM
The Pun Master of the Known Universe!
Posted By: logtroll Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/31/21 01:32 PM
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 01/31/21 09:58 PM
"Not enough rice for the workers, and the chief wants sauce for his rice"

It has ever been thus. That's not politics, it's human nature.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/01/21 12:20 AM
offtopic offtopic
A double negative puts as back on topic, which was complaints about computer problems.
My problem, computer wise at least, was deciding on what new computer to buy, now delayed by ordering a used Dell Latitude E7470 ultrabook laptop with 32Mb ram , touch screen, 500 GBP sst drive, and lots of traditional USP ports and Windows 10 on eBay.
And to celebrate decisive action I even bid on an electric guitar that I've had my eye on for two weeks, and even beat out a couple of last minute sneaking snipers. Haven't had that much good excitement in WEEKS
TAT
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/01/21 07:22 PM
Great news: I found that my Latitude control panel actually has a nice touchpad device screen that let me disable it completely. So no more jumping around while typing because a thumb hit the touchpad.

Now, if I could just remember how to spell....
Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/01/21 07:38 PM
You must have a spell checker? (or are you talking about an age problem?)
Posted By: logtroll Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/01/21 07:38 PM
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/01/21 08:46 PM
Earnestly hoping that all changes in Latitude are intuitive, as muscle memory for Latitudes remains!
I still have to learn a new Windows OS violin
I'm Inexplicably and suddenly experiencing an intense desire for Tequila crazy
I think I took too many shots in Couzumel tequila rituals, which was the closest I got to being buffeted, except for med school parties, that weren't as relaxing sick

Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/01/21 09:10 PM
I loved Windows 10 from the start.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/01/21 09:22 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic, and really really sick of tablet "posting", though my eye hand coordination with index finger is markedly improving.
Maybe it's time to put aside my picks and try finger picking! :tinyviolin:
TAT
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/02/21 07:05 AM
I do have spell checkers that underline anything misspelled. BUT SOMETIMEW i FORGET HOW TO SPELL EVEN SIMPLE WORDS. i HAVE TO LOOK THEM UP IN gOOGLE. <-- Or That happens.

Could be age. (I'm only a young-looking 69.) Or it could be the MS. Kinda turns your brain into Swiss cheese.
Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/02/21 07:33 PM
Age - I am not sure there is anything you can do. They advertise stuff to fix memory (forget the name <sigh>) but if you check it out you find it doesn't work (even though the ads always include somebody that says it does).

I am not to the forget my own name yet but I am getting there. I take fish oil pills which may help (the only thing that some papers suggest might help). The good thing is the computer. You can always figure out a question which will supply an answer.

The frustration is in the simple fact that you know the answer and can't say or write it. Some of it is speech aphasia and its a genuine pain. Comes under the heading of "When you consider the alternative ...."

There is also one other problem. The Wife thing. When you start asking them to tell you things you are supposed to know they are kindly and just do it. Over time, however, mine tends to try and force me to remember the answer. That doesn't work, she doesn't get it, etc. That used to bother me but I got over it and I just let her natter on. The bad thing is that I also tend to not listen to her after a bit which bring a whole new thing.

It all falls under the heading of "sh*t happens" I think....
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/02/21 08:23 PM
To the contrary re aging, memory, and recall.
The slower access to data, names etc is naturally much slower as we age, primarily due to the expansion of our massive data bases! We all know very well, by experience and logic, that it takes much more time to find a file or image in a massive USB drive than on the desktop, where I can see it!
I've never been good at naming files for recovery, paper or virtual. Auto insurance could end up in : auto, car, ansurance,etc .
Clearly we need artificial intelligence to find that file or word that we want but don't remember what we called.
Anxiety makes it worse as you all have experienced that after we relax, the word will just pop up to mind!
I suspect that DARPA has infected us with a pop-up blocker!
But I could be worgn!
aAt
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/02/21 11:28 PM
Seems a bit morbid, but one nice thing is the older and more feebleminded you get, the more you forget to fear your own mortality. Once everybody you knew is dead, it seems like the natural thing to do. I wonder if there is some survival value for the species, if the non-reproductive and non-productive members die off. Sort of related to the new findings that homosexual family members yield some survival benefits to their relative's reproduction.
Posted By: logtroll Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/03/21 12:09 AM
Originally Posted By: TatumAH
But I could be worgn!

Funny, you don't seem like any worgn I've ever known.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/03/21 03:06 AM
Originally Posted By: logtroll
But I could be worgn!

Funny, you don't seem like any worgn I've ever known.

Well, you just haven't been around enuff to run into two worngs at the same time. Everyone knows that two worgns make it sooo right!

TooWorngs at Muffwiggler

I fixed the lynx, neither the vet nor the lynx were pleased!
Posted By: logtroll Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/03/21 11:15 AM
Must have taken a worgn turn somewhere...
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/03/21 05:26 PM

Sorry! My Bad cat Lynx

Worng at Muffwiggler
Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/03/21 06:51 PM
I used to blame it all on memory but that is no longer the case. Another problem is dealing with more than one thing and THAT is a problem. As you grow older your attention span is shorter and you are more easily distracted. When that happens you really haven't lost the word so much as the whole damned subject! If you find yourself saying things like; "What were we talking about?", etc. its time to think on what you just said in a bit more detail.

I can remember balancing more than 5 or 6 subjects, or more, at a time with no problem at all. Now, any interruption causes problems. People have sometimes think that I am not paying attention to them and they would be right. I am currently in that stage where its one thing at a time or whatever gets screwed up. The trick is, basically, to stick to one thing at a time and then you will have less problems with 'memory' as sometimes it was never a memory problem in the first place.

Anyway..............
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/03/21 09:50 PM
I'm getting really good at growing lettuce. Nice simple activity, with a simple reward. I was trying to do it outdoors, but rats came and ate it all. So now it's indoors under lights. It's on a timer, and the lights are on during the time we get lower electricity rates. All I need to do is remember to water it every two or three days. My wife enjoys the heat at night the lights provide.

It costs nothing to run because we have an excess credit with the power company from our solar. It's about half the power her space heater would use, and still keeps the bedroom warm enough.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/04/21 04:11 AM
Yeah lettuce,
Send me a salad soon!
My schrooms are drooping in oyster farm, and can't share my Viagra
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/04/21 04:51 PM
I've thought of putting a few raised beds in the back yard and an accessible path so I can tend to them from my wheelchair...

I can probably pull it off for for a couple thousand bucks.

That's a lotta lettuce.

I don't even like lettuce. And don't like getting my hands dirty.
Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/04/21 06:53 PM
My back porch is enclosed and has a see through roof. I have three raised beds for growing. I start tomatoes in like March or April and, last year, they lasted through December. There is also lettuce and some other stuff. Right now I am making a run at red cabbage, parsnips and radishes. Nothing has died yet and there is no heat back there. The current temps run from around 35 to 48. They are not growing real fast. I have got some seeds for giant tomatoes I am going to try when spring arrives. The strange thing is that my wife loves tomatoes and I am not quite so fond of them.
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/04/21 07:55 PM
I might one day put some tomatoes in pots. They're a staple in my kitchen for the generous nutrients within them. I include them in pretty much every meal.

Quote:
Tomatoes are a great source of potassium and vitamin C. Several beneficial forms of vitamin A are also present in tomatoes including lutein, zeaxanthin, and lycopene.

It's also hard to buy green tomatoes for frying.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/04/21 08:11 PM
Tomatoes are my main reason for gardening, I cant eat out of season tomatoes as they have no taste taste or smell! I have tried fried green tomatoes several times, all were disappointing, I probably dont have a good recipe, or they are something you had to grow up with to enjoy. Im open to suggestions, but its going to quite a while before I have any tomatoes at all.

Something new to try in the air fry method, but what isnt!
TAT
Posted By: Ujest Shurly Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/04/21 08:28 PM
Find Flavor Bomb tomatoes, or similar, they are small about the size of nickle to a quarter and a bit larger, always have flavor and Vitamin K. Eating 3 to 5 a day helps me control my INR, keeps me in range. The flavor is sometimes sweet to down right tomatoey. They are sort of small heirloom tomatoes.
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/04/21 09:26 PM
I like Husky Cherry tomatoes, globe shaped about 1 inch, it's a dwarf plant that doesn't require staking. Quite sweet and similar to what you mention. But southern and northern varieties might vary...I dunno. Tomatoes grow year round here.

TAT, my mom used to make the awfullest fried green tomatoes ever! But panko crusting makes them fabulous. Dip in flour, dip in beaten egg, coat with panko. I deep fry them but they can be fried in a skillet just as easily. For the air fryer you'd need to add some melted butter to the panko or it won't brown properly. Tomatoes need to be hard as rocks so the moisture content is low. Serve them with ranch dressing.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/05/21 03:14 AM
Unfortunately I cant grow heirlooms here, as I have a terrible problem with Fusarium fungus that takes out anything but hybrids with Fusarium resistance. It can take out a 4x8 raised bed of basil in a day. I fight the fungus by trying to tilt the biome with supplements of filamentous bacteria actinomycetes that is commercially available, which helps, but Fusarium resistant basil and tomatoes are insurance.
I will give the fried tomatoes another try with the air fry method, and what sound like standard breading but with Panko.
We had a hot dry summer and the tomatoes were very sweet, and not quite acid enough for my taste. In season everything gets a slab or two of tomatoes. It sounds hippy dippy but I liberally dust the tomato slabs with dry flake nutritional yeast, that provides a hearty umami boost All takeout Chinese, Thai etc need a dash of MSG no that they have eliminated it due to bad science!
So take that, and soos UMAMI
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/05/21 09:20 AM
I'm still getting some Romas, but they are pretty tasteless. I really love cherry tomatoes. They are all perfect and the flavor is great, but the ones I tried never sprouted. My neighbor gave me some extra Best Boy and Celebrity seedlings, but those are all done now. I guess I could grow some inside, or put together a little cheap greenhouse for winter growing.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/05/21 03:58 PM
I love cherry tomatoes, red one yellow ones etc, but they are the only tomatoes that actually tried to kill me! While innocently gardening one fine day, weeding and nurturing the tomato plants, I quickly popped a delectable cherry into my mouth, but it went a little too far! Making the universal cant breathe sign with your hand to your throat is ineffective alone in the yard, even Siri couldn't save me. I fortunately keep one of my wide handled pitchforks handy for auto-self-heimlicking, that sounds kinda purrverse when I write it out! It only took two attempts, but my motivation increased after the first unsuckcessful attempt. Know the enemy that lurks in the garden!

TAT
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/05/21 04:20 PM
As it turns out, TAT, Husky Cherry tomatoes are resistant to fusarium and verticillium wilt. These diseases, although they present themselves in the leaves, are actually rootborn and the spoors are in the soil and actually effect the roots. If you compost diseased plants you are literally spreading the disease all over your garden.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/05/21 04:58 PM
I carefully follow Loggy's composting guidelines, except for burying relatives in the garden. Having battled Fusarium for decades, I have read most of the literature on Fusarium and other nasty fungi, that are taking advantage of climate change very rapidly. You are absolutely right about diseased material in the garden or compost pile. I have black trash bag that get anything even questionable out of the garden.
Once established in the soil fungi are hard, read impossible to remove, though you can help the soil regain a balanced biome.
Rotating crops helps, but in a limited space of 7 4x8' raised beds your opportunities are limited, to not growing the same thing in the same place two years in a row.
One year I was so desperate, from dwindling basil frozen in olive oil, that I grew my basil hydroponically in 5 gallon white buckets in the driveway. attracting some neighbors attention as to what crop was growing! They pretty much watch my projects anyway!

I turn garden hygiene up to 11 in the fall cleanup and again with garden opening in spring. I dont use pesticides, insecticides, or fungicides, but I do use a scorched earth policy in fall and spring.
Using a big propane weed torch, also from harbor freight, after plants are gone in fall, I flamethrower the beds to remove or sterilize any remaining spores, weed seeds, superficial nematodes, etc and then add a couple of inches of shredded, by lawnmower, maple leaves, readily available! In spring I lightly turn in the composed leaves, or rake back those that are still mulch, and then give the beds another smoking hot treatment, that also take out any creeping weeds that have started growing all over. Rake lightly and let it sit a week or so until the new weed seeds have sprouted, and give them a more gentle flaming. It very satisfying and once again attract neighbors interest, as there is a bit of flame roar.
Its also the best thing ever for those violent weeds that set seed early, and explode them 20 ft in all directions when you touch or try to weed them. Torch them and they are instantly sterilized in place. Also helps with dandy lions in the lawn by nuking puffballs, and now in spring when my lawn is relatively low in dandy lions, the neighbors actually invite me over to their lawns with my lawn dragon.
Many here are trying to go with more diverse lawn without herbicides etc, and fire is ecologically a good solution, returning element to the soil!
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/06/21 12:54 AM
I just read a story about a Muslim who was dismayed by the American funerary standards when he had to bury his dad. Their custom is "shroud sack in the dirt" so the body returns to the dust as quickly as possible. He was horrified by our requirements for elaborate coffins, concrete crypt liners, embalming, etc. They had to settle for pouring some dirt in Dad's coffin.

He would have loved Loggy's green burial service on the ranch. I've always thought "chain me to some concrete blocks, and dump me off the end of the pier" sounded good. Let the crabs recycle me. Or Yazidi-style: Put me on the roof and let the vultures do their thing.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/06/21 01:30 AM

What could go worng?
Quote:
I was afraid of that! Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't!
Posted By: logtroll Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/06/21 11:12 AM
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I've always thought "chain me to some concrete blocks, and dump me off the end of the pier" sounded good. Let the crabs recycle me.

Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/06/21 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I've always thought "chain me to some concrete blocks, and dump me off the end of the pier" sounded good. Let the crabs recycle me.

Out with a bang, not a nibble, Burial by Trebuchet the only way to go

This macabre scenario was a classic of Northern Exposure! It was Chris who built it, and originally planned on flinging a cow, but for humane reasons, flung and upright piano to the tune of Blue Danube, very moving.

The trebuchet was then repurposed for the Burial of his long frozen friend, after the ice had broken up. This touching and very moving scene was totally ruined by copyright infringement problems. as the original casket scene was launched to Procol Harum's greatest hit, A Whiter Shade of Pale, but is no longer available, I've looked! Substituting any other tune ruins the artistic tone completely!
Frankly AWSOP, as its refereed to by Procolites or Harumies was overplayed overshadowing some great classic works. I'm partial to Repent Walpurgis, A Christmas Camel, and the upbeat Something Following Me, and the catchy She Wandered Through the Garden Fence.

There have since many wannabe flingers like burning man, where they set the piano on fire before flinging. Nice flame trails though!
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/07/21 12:43 AM
> dump me off the end of the pier

That's a quick route to immortality, in my opinion. All my Hydrogen and Oxygen ends up as water that evaporates and falls on crops for people to eat, or ends up in reservoirs for people to drink. My carbon mostly turns into minerals that people will use for all sorts of things, like chalk or drywall. My Nitrogen goes back into the great pool of air people will breathe. Other elements go into sea life that people will eat.

All my atoms get recycled back through every form of life on Earth eventually.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/07/21 02:01 AM
Thats kinda like why I dont eat crabs or crawdads. Pulled to many off of floaters while rotating through the Medical examiners office. My father who had a ready supply of placentas, would throw a sack of them into the yard a couple of days before for we went Dungenous crabbing on the Oregon coast!
Crabs couldn't resist! this was before Hepatitis etc were common.
Posted By: logtroll Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/08/21 12:37 AM
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/09/21 06:34 PM
Back to computers and changing latitudes. New used latitude ultrabook E7470 core i7-600U touchscreen is up and running, as you may have noticed from my recently diminished loclaconicity!
I have been using Foxfire for years but this Windows 10 keeps pushing me to the Edge! Any suggestions out there re browser advantages for win10 or other organizational hints, tips, suggestions, warnings etc.

it is much more efficient in displaying rapid popup ads etc, but have not messed yet with popup blockers either, or add on security programs. whatchal think?
Please, no pranks on a hapless, though possibly deserving TAT! Dont do unto TAT...
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/09/21 09:41 PM
On my Latitude with Windows 10, I keep having strange behavior with Edge. Like locking up, or inability to shut down normally when I have had other programs running at the same time. It's like Edge is grabbing vectors and not restoring them when I leave it, or grabbing vectors that some other program has already grabbed.

I was having problem with Chrome running Netflix smoothly, so I was using Edge for that. But now Chrome handles Netflix fine, so I have little use for Edge. I do have FireFox too, but I heard they are on their way out of the browser business. I do use Mozilla Thunderbird for email.

I am also running the free McAfee antivirus that comes with my cable internet service, and AdBlocker Plus. Those all seem to play well together.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/10/21 04:03 PM
Thanks Pond,
I think I will make one change at a time starting with the Ad Blocker, and then tey playing with Chrome.

As to Images I have so many gigs in Picasa, that has the best image processing that I would like to stay with that, and Im uncomfortable with Google Photo having all my images in the cloud somewhere. Unfortunately Google no longer supports Picasa, and does everything possible to drive everything to Google photo, that compresses your images, or you can buy more cloud storage.
Google also terminated Google plus without a replacement or improvement. I cant say that I have confidence in Google for anything archival, that's what SATA arrays are for.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/10/21 11:49 PM
Hard drives and flash drives both are so cheap now. The history of personal computing is filled with services saying: "Store all your stuff on our servers." And then screwing their users over. I don't know why anybody would trust cloud storage.

But there is a very important caveat: Store on your own media, but make backup copies.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/11/21 12:05 AM
And dont store them all in the same place!!!
Posted By: Greger Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/11/21 03:11 AM
I don't store anything at all.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/12/21 03:01 AM
I envy the not storing anything philosophy but it isnt consistent with being the family archivist and genealogist. I would love to get everything digitized and organized from the last three generations but its a slow process for the organizationally impaired.
As advised here, I have been playing with Chrome, and it is really quick and elegant dealing with Google searching, Google drive for sheet music etc, and the newer versions of Google earth is much more maneuverable with Chrome and fun to zoom around, and everything is more friendly with Gmail. Im sure it will get even better when I get more familiar with it. Dragon Speech is next, and a much better speeler!
TAT
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/15/21 11:45 PM
HI BC Bob,
I see and hear from your homepage that you like many of us are rekindling our musical interests, with no reason whatever to avoid practicing from lack of free time!

I rebuilt my Mother's baby grand and started up piano again. The concert band broke up with the plague, so my recidivist French horn playing took a dive, making me realize that much of my practice was motivated by avoidance of public humiliation!

My daughter abandoned an electronic keyboard, a couple of electric guitars and a bass with amps, when she moved abroad, 10 miles away, so I have been fiddling with them. The cats really enjoy this but from an undisclosed location!

I recall an image of yours surrounded by guitars of all types, and am wondering if you have gotten the band back together on multitracks, or where your musical talent have taken you?

I tried soothing the neighborhood's covid anxiety with front porch keyboard renditions of Amazing Grace and Nearer my God to Thee, but they we not cheered! grin
TAT
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/16/21 03:55 AM
My mother left an upright piano when she passed. Technically, it belongs to my sister now but she's 500 miles away locked down. Neither she or any of her kids play. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to sell it and send her the money, rather than trying to move it. I've got a whole storage locker filled with Mom's stuff that goes to my sister. I'm think pick out the best stuff, put it in one of those cubes, and send that to her.

Everything else can go to my brother-in-law who runs estate sales.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/16/21 05:07 AM
There is a huge glut of pianos on the market as people downsize or die, so the price of used pianos has severely crashed. They typically go for free to whoever will come and take them away, not an easy task. Frankly uprights are harder to move than grands. For a grand you just remove the legs and tip it onto a dolly, uprights are more dense and have fewer handholds. Churches and other charitable organizations have stopped accepting them, and even have seminars to break the news to well meaning donors, so great is the problem.

Grands are similarly devalued and may need hundreds of dollars of repairs to make them playable.

So, bottom line, unless they are a particularly valuable quality instrument, or of sentimental value, they are rarely worth restoring, or moving. My mother's was a pre-depression Weber that was comparable to a Steinway in 1923, which is almost qualified as an antique by NY State. This is important because it has actual elephant ivory keys, and cannot any longer be moved by NY movers till its 100th birthday!
Tuning and regulating a piano are different operations. Tuning is pretty obvious, though there are many fine points to it, but regulation is adjusting all 88 keys to be equally responsive to touch, weight of pressure to striking, and similar in tone. NYS is a new kind of piano regulation! mad Good piano techs are also getting harder to find, and more expensive.
Probably more than you wanted to know, but as long as I have studied it, Im glad to overshare!]
Never believed in the concept of TMI! grin
TAT
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/16/21 09:53 AM
I have found a music warehouse that (might) come and pick it up. They sell it on consignment. I don't expect to get much for it. Modern digital keyboards are so much cheaper and dead easy to transport. They never need tuning. And they can even be adjusted to tune every key up or down at once to match another instrument. Much nicer, in my book. Even my mother's adopted son who is a purist, preferred his electronic piano, and he lived right next door to this upright and could have played it any time.

I think the estate sale business and trailer sales will both be strongly affected by Covid-19. Too many old folks stuff makes a glut in the market. I have three complete sets of expensive china of my mom's, and all I want is some more Corelle dinner plates. Her silverware might be worth more in melt value.
Posted By: jgw Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/17/21 07:46 PM
I don't think there is a garbage dump in America that doesn't have a couple of old pianos in it. Keyboards have taken over. On top of that Goodwill will sell you one cheap!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/18/21 04:58 AM
I have great disdain for those who think that the sound experience of electronic keyboards is in any way comparable to a real piano! There is just no way that even the electronic wizards at Yamaha can accurately reproduce the unique sound of an artisan piano!
TAT mad

Artisan Pianos, There is no Substitute!

Posted By: logtroll Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/19/21 12:42 AM
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/19/21 01:07 AM
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/19/21 02:16 AM
[quote]There is just no way that even the electronic wizards at Yamaha can accurately reproduce the unique experience of an artisan piano!

TAT mad
Posted By: TatumAH Re: An amusement - no politics! - 02/19/21 02:33 AM
There was a fad for a while back in the 60s where they had contests to see who could destroy a piano with sledge hammer and axes, and pass the parts through various sized holes. Eight inch holes for newbie amateurs, and a much more stinggent 2 inch hole for professionals.

This was usually an event for the state fairs along with the more redneck destruction derby crowds! But some were artistic purrformances!

The upright category was less dangerous, as there were some unfortunate injuries when contestants fractured a grand piano lyre without de-stressing the strings generating 15-30,000 pounds of pressure.

Its much safer to burn them from a distance which produces totally different tones and timbre!

TAT
© ReaderRant