Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: jgw Retailers - 10/27/21 06:38 PM
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/26/the-10-biggest-retail-bankruptcies-of-2020.html

It has dawned on me that most of the surviving large retail stores have decided to compete with places like Amazon. Its pretty interesting. Wallmart and Target now take orders by email and phone. Now they have windows for you to do your order then stop by and pickup what you ordered. Target is claiming they can deliver on the same day you order, in the big city, etc. I fully expect the grocery stores to jump onto this as well.

Its interesting. Amazon, for instance, was waaaaaaaaaay ahead of the curve and actually has some retail stores in the big cities to compete, I assume, with the remaining retailers. I fear the art of "shopping" is in for a complete overhaul before this is all over.

I don't live in the big city. The closest is Victoria, BC but I can't go there yet and won't go until I don't have to spend 150.00 on a covid test. The next closest is over 3 hours away (Seattle). So, we don't do a whole lot of 'shopping'. except on the net. The local retailers, in my town I pretty laid back. My wife started a jewelry store, years ago, because she hated shopping down town where those in the stores didn't even say hello when you walked in (and it hasn't changed that much).

Interesting times!
Posted By: Greger Re: Retailers - 10/27/21 07:08 PM
Shopping is and has always been a pain in the ass. All of us driving miles and miles in our pollutant spewing autos, filling the parking lots and jamming the stores is stupid and inefficient.

If anything good came of covid it was the improvement of delivery infrastructure.

Kroger recently built a huge robotic grocery warehouse nearby and deliver fresh groceries in refrigerated trucks. Grocery store prices and no tipping allowed. Between them and Amazon I never need to go "shopping"
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 12:19 AM
I hate and despise shopping; unfortunately, I’m trying to gird myself up for some. I seriously need some clothes that come close to fitting that aren’t gray sweats. I also need new furniture; mine has survived 15 years and three different cats. Haven’t bought new shoes in over 5 years.

But every time I think of it I just shudder. I have always hated the manipulation of advertising and now my sensitivity seems to be much worse. And I’m seriously allergic to anyone who wants to sell me something, rather than help me buy something.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 12:44 AM
I think Amazon has a program where they will send you several items for you to try out, and if you don’t like them you can return them for free. But I’m not sure if that still is the deal. That was something they had going several years ago. I never tried it but I was aware of it.
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 01:22 AM
There are several retailers that will do that. Uunfortunately I have a horrible time getting things returned; I don’t know why. It’s just almost impossible for me to do, I have no idea why. There are a couple of discount clothing stores just down the road and I’ve promised myself I will get there tomorrow.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 01:49 AM
You need to transport yourself back in time and somehow become English aristocracy whereby you would have a valet that would do all of this for you. Hey.. I could use one too!

Although my “uniform” these days consists solely of Levi’s and a T-shirt. And either sandals, flip-flops, or some sort of hiking/walking shoes. Sometimes I think I should break that mold and then I ask myself why? Although it can be fun sometimes to dress up. At least someone once told me that.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 02:06 AM
A lot of what retailers are doing today is not to mimic Amazon, but out of necessity to survive COVID - last year. Retailers did everything they could to make shopping as safe and convenient as possible for shoppers.

They simply carried those new protocols into this year and are keeping this new way of shopping. Hmm
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 03:12 AM
I have never been one to blow my own horn, but believe me I have tried. Hmm I just cannot contort that much. LOLI used to dress up back when I sang baritone in the Eugene Symphony chorus. I wore a tux with all the accoutrements when we did our thing. And by the way I could also sing my part very well. Quit your heart fluttering Rick.

When I was back at my 40th high school reunion there was a classmate of mine sitting directly across the seat from us while we partook took of the reunion luau. Her name was Diane Arikake. Bear in mind I am 6’6”. She told me directly “Ken, back when we were in high school I thought of you as an Aryan God”. And she said this directly with her husband sitting next to her. And my wife sitting next to me. I didn’t know what to say so I just responded “thank you”. And then we sat for a while in awkwardness. Perhaps it was her wine talking although Martha was wondering wtf?

But remember Rick…..I am hard to get.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 05:24 AM
I don’t like the look of those emoticons. So I don’t think I’m going to use them anymore as I don’t really know how to. If anyone out there does not get my humor….so be it… Union.

Even though that is long dead and gone.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 08:08 AM
I use Amazon a LOT. Enough so Prime membership is worth it, so that makes most shipping free and generally about two days. I also order from Albertson's supermarket, and pick up my order the next day. Never need to go in, since they will bring it out and stick in in my bin. Super safe, but I find I'm actually a better shopper when I do it instead of them. Oh well, never let perfect be the enemy of "good enough". I was getting dog food delivered from Petco, but my wife has a Costco membership she shares with her brother, so she picks it up now.

Last time I ordered from Walmart.com, I ordered $70 worth of stuff. They cancelled all of my order except for a roll of duct tape. Ordered it from Amazon, and it was the same price and delivered in two days. Bye bye, Walmart!
Posted By: Greger Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 02:31 PM
Yall got Chewy out there? Great prices on dog food but I don't know how they'd compare to Costco.
The selection is massive. Good for me because Roscoe gets fussy if I feed him the same thing too much. Generally he never eats the same food twice in a row, I keep 4-6 varieties of premium canned food and occasionally have to switch out dry food if he stops eating it.

He walks 5 miles a day and at his age it's tough to keep the weight on him.
Posted By: jgw Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 05:12 PM
Have you actually tried Amazon. I rarely buy from them but my wife does. She returns stuff all the time. Amazon are VERY agreeable about returns. The only time I have ever heard of anybody having a problem is when they start just trying stuff on and then returning it without ever buying anything. Actually their attitude towards such stuff it what got them all the business they have.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Greger
Yall got Chewy out there? Great prices on dog food but I don't know how they'd compare to Costco.
The selection is massive. Good for me because Roscoe gets fussy if I feed him the same thing too much. Generally he never eats the same food twice in a row, I keep 4-6 varieties of premium canned food and occasionally have to switch out dry food if he stops eating it.

He walks 5 miles a day and at his age it's tough to keep the weight on him.

Karen is a confirmed forever Chewy customer, AND a Litter Robot owner now.
If you want to have something that makes your life as a cat owner servant easier, get one, it's worth the money.
Plus, your cat will wind up thinking they're Jeff Bezos and you built them a space shuttle! ROTFMOL

Posted By: Ken Condon Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 07:19 PM
He walks 5 miles a day and at his age it's tough to keep the weight on him

That’s a lot of walking per day. Who walks him? I assume it’s not you.

I would buy all of Aggie’s dog food at Costco. A combination of Kirkland dry kibble and Kirkland canned food. The kibble cost around $32 a bag but I can’t remember how heavy it was. Fortunately she was not a fussy eater and probably would’ve eaten the same dry kibble over and over again without complaining. She was on death row when I rescued her as no one seemed to have wanted a fierce looking black pitbull (actually she was dark brindle) even though she was a sweetheart. I think she was always grateful for her rescue so she never wanted to create waves. At least that’s how I anthropomorphized it.

I would also make her a homemade chicken, rice, and vegetable stew-which she loved. But she still would have eaten solely the kibble if that’s all I fed her.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ken Condon
...I am 6’6...
Let me guess...180. Unless you're at least 240, you won't get a flutter from me. coffee
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 10:21 PM
Bear Hunt?
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 10:22 PM
He stood 6 foot six and weighed 245, kind of broad in the shoulder and nar’at the hip, and everybody knew you didn’t give no lip to big Ken.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Retailers - 10/28/21 10:24 PM
So its a match! grin
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by TatumAH

Yaaas!!! laugh
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 12:58 AM
CW McCall said in his famous song, :"Let's go huntin' bear..." - Now THAT's my kinda guy! smile

[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 01:04 AM
He stood 6 foot six and weighed 245, kind of broad in the shoulder and nar’at the hip, and everybody knew you didn’t give no lip to big Ken.
P'shaw! coffee
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by pdx rick
CW McCall said in his famous song, :"Let's go huntin' bear..." - Now THAT's my kinda guy! smile

[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]

There are all kinds of bears! I prefurr Ursa to Cops. Different strokes for different folks. If you're into humps, only Grizz will do, just ask Bear Claw. The real question is: Are you sure you can skin Grizz, pilgrim? grin
TAT
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 01:45 AM
[quote=pdx rick]There are all kinds of bears...
I didn't think I needed to qualify what kind of bear I like, but if you insist: Sexy, handsome, muscley. smile

Dude above ain't none of that. Hmm
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 02:40 AM
[quote=pdx rick]There are all kinds of bears...
I didn't think I needed to qualify what kind of bear I like, but if you insist: Sexy, handsome, muscley. smile

Dude above ain't none of that.

You didn't like hairy Robert Redford in his prime as Jeremiah Johnson? blush I was attracted and I'm straight, blushgender wise!
TAT
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 03:09 AM
I never saw Robert Redford movies. when I was a kid, I did see James Caan. I remember thinking he was sexy when I was a kid. And, of course, Lee Majors. smile
Posted By: olyve Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Karen is a confirmed forever Chewy customer, AND a Litter Robot owner now.
If you want to have something that makes your life as a cat owner servant easier, get one, it's worth the money.
Plus, your cat will wind up thinking they're Jeff Bezos and you built them a space shuttle! ROTFMOL

I cannot believe I sat here and watched that whole entire thing. Hilarious. Makes me ponder the circumstances around which the first cat litter came to be invented.
Lordy, I don't know if you guys have too much time on your hands or me... :doh:

I've never heard of Chewy and I've never been to Costco.

Ken, is the Costco that you go to the one that was just being built, close to our motel, when we visited Eugene a few years ago? You were speculating how successful it would be.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 01:43 PM
Ken is getting a Costco relo next year. (Relocation) Salem is relocating to a new building.

Besides Ringold and Augusta, most the 12 Georgia Costcos are located around Atlanta. There is also a Costco Business Center in Morrow and there is a Distribution Center in College Park. Costco Logistics now delivers Costco.com purchased items to your home from the College Park Distribution Center.

smile
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 03:47 PM
This message brought to you by…😆
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 07:25 PM
Ken is getting a Costco relo next year. (Relocation) Salem is relocating to a new building

Hey wait a minute, I’m still living in Eugene at last check. And that new building was a Whole Foods not a Costco. Just trying to set the record “straight” here. LOL
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 08:19 PM
Salem...Eurgene...same difference? Hmm

Anyway...Salem is getting a relo next year. smile Weird there is no Eugene location. Hmm Even Warrington has a location. crazy
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 08:44 PM
Yes we do have a Costco here in lil’ old Eugene. Came in around 1997. I thought you were a Costco guy at one time? Hmm
Posted By: olyve Re: Retailers - 10/29/21 10:21 PM
Thanks for the correction, Ken. I wondered when I wrote that if I had the two stores mixed up (Whole Foods and Costco). I have been to a Whole Foods store in the Atlanta are where my daughter lives. I'm under the assumption they are much the same and couldn't remember which it was that we talked about.
I don't really shop at the big bulk stores.

Rick, rumor has it that a Costco is coming in near by me (the next town over, Watkinsville) to anchor a large shopping center there.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/30/21 04:01 AM
Yes we do have a Costco here in lil’ old Eugene. Came in around 1997. I thought you were a Costco guy at one time? Hmm

Still am...at least my badge was working at the Corp office today. coffee

I swear I looked on Costco.com and did not see Eugene listed earlier today. Eugene is warehouse 17 - which means it was the 17th Costco built. Aloha is 9 and Portland is 2. Suffice to say the Eugene location is never noted anywhere for anything. (Oh! there's a warehouse there?) Portland is almost always in the top 10 for daily sales at least 3 times a week.

Also, Eugene opened 11/09/1989 (weird how a lot of warehouses open just before the big mad rush of the holiday shopping season. wink )

smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/30/21 04:04 AM
Originally Posted by olyve
Rick, rumor has it that a Costco is coming in near by me (the next town over, Watkinsville) to anchor a large shopping center there.
I want to say there is one in a town that starts with a P. No, it opened already in Pooler. Let me circle-back to you next week on that one. smile

Duluth opened yesterday, and Avon, IN opened today.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/30/21 04:37 AM
...and Mellow got a chicken processing plant in Randolph a few years ago for the roti birds. Costco is going horizontal integration.

smile
Posted By: olyve Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 01:25 AM
I want to say there is one in a town that starts with a P. No, it opened already in Pooler. Let me circle-back to you next week on that one. smile

Duluth opened yesterday, and Avon, IN opened today.

I looked in our local paper. Costco is coming to Oconee Co. (Watkinsville) the county that shares our southern border, in 2022. They are calling it the "Athens" store.
We're not that far from Atlanta....75-100 miles, depending on which part.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 02:55 PM
Ken is getting a Costco relo next year. (Relocation) Salem is relocating to a new building.

Besides Ringold and Augusta, most the 12 Georgia Costcos are located around Atlanta. There is also a Costco Business Center in Morrow and there is a Distribution Center in College Park. Costco Logistics now delivers Costco.com purchased items to your home from the College Park Distribution Center.

smile

College Park, Maryland?
Put some states on the end there, Rick.
It's amazing how many "Smithfields" there are in the world!

Duluth? Minnesota??
I'd-a thunk Duluth woulda had one of the very first Costco locations.
Posted By: olyve Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 03:12 PM
I'm guessing since he was talking about Georgia (specifically the Atlanta area) that he meant College Park, Ga and Duluth, Ga. Both are greater Atlanta Metro area. Hartsfield Airport is in College Park.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 04:28 PM

smile

College Park, Maryland?s.
College Park, GA.

smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 04:32 PM
I'd-a thunk Duluth woulda had one of the very first Costco locations.
Costco only builds warehouses where certain economic demographic criteria are met. If they're not met today, they might be met in the future when the location is revisited for the criteria.

Therefore, Duluth has never met the criteria until now - which is why Costco's only Mississippi and Arkansas locations only just recently opened. smile

Seattle, WA was the very first Costco back in 1983, followed by Portland, OR, then Spokane, then Salt Lake City. Many of the older buildings have been relocated to newer, larger, buildings and the building is renumbered. The renumbering happpend because when "01" got a new building, the number was kept the same as that was the thinking at the time to keep the number the same - but it caused logical nightmares for the opening: Which "01" are you referring to? The old one or the new one being built? Which building is supposed to get the delivery? It caused A LOT of unhappiness and grief at the distribution center.

After that nightmare, renaming the building the old number never happened ever again. Also management, at the time, was still the old guard founders wanting to keep "01" as "01" fo sentimental reasons. smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 05:05 PM
I'm guessing since he was talking about Georgia (specifically the Atlanta area) that he meant College Park, Ga and Duluth, Ga. Both are greater Atlanta Metro area. Hartsfield Airport is in College Park.

Meant Duluth, MN. I didn't know that GA had a Duluth too. gobsmacked
Posted By: olyve Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 05:48 PM

Meant Duluth, MN. I didn't know that GA had a Duluth too. gobsmacked
ROTFMOL ROTFMOL ROTFMOL

My guess is Duluth, Ga already has one very near by.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 06:02 PM
The closest warehouse to Duluth, GA is Gwinnett and that building opened 11/13/1996. Was that a former Price Club? Because Costco and Price Club merged about that time and we picked-up a lot of buildings that way.

The Gwinnett building is W187. Pretty sure Costco Seattle didn't have GA on it's mind back then. In the mid-90s, expanding into Canada and Mexico was a bigger dealio for Costco. Hmm
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 06:41 PM
I didn't know that GA had a Duluth too.

Do they have a Costco in Springfield?
Posted By: Greger Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 07:37 PM
We've got a College Park but I don't think we have a Duluth. There have been rumours from time to time about a Costco here. If them or Sam's expands east of Orlando it'll land near me. There was a time that woulda made me happy. Kroger delivers everything now.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by pondering_it_al
Do they have a Costco in Springfield?

Springfield, AL | No
Springfield, CA | No
Springfield, CO | No
Springfield, FL | No
Springfield, GA | Pooler would be the closest
Springfield, ID | Pocatello would be the closet
Springfield, IL | No
Springfield, IN Ft Wayne would be the closest
Springfield, KY | No
Springfield, LA | Baton Rouge would be the closest
Springfield, ME | No
Springfield, MA | Yes, West Springfield, Enfield,
Springfield, MI | Kalamazoo would be the closest
Springfield, MN | No
Springfield, NE | La Vista and Omaha would be the closet
Springfield, NY | No
Springfield, OH | Centerville would be the closest
Springfield, OR | Eugene would be the closest
Springfield, PA | Corcordvile, King of Prussia would be the closest
Springfield, SC | No
Springfield, SD | No
Springfield, TN | W Nashville would be the closest
Springfield, TE | No
Springfield, VA | Newington, Mt Vernon, Pentagon City, and Fairfax are the closest
Springfield, VT | No
Springfield, WV No

There are only 570 Costco warehouses in the US. They're not all over like Walmart and Sam's Clubs. Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 10/31/21 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Greger
... There have been rumours from time to time about a Costco here. If them or Sam's expands east of Orlando it'll land near me. ..

S Orlando (4.09 mi)
4696 GARDENS PARK BLVD
ORLANDO, FL 32839-2171

E Orlando (6.22 mi)
3333 UNIVERSITY BLVD
WINTER PARK, FL 32792-7428
(407) 681-2119

Altamonte Springs (8.82 mi)
741 ORANGE AVE
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL 32714-3031
(407) 786-7802

Orlando Business Center (9.50 mi)
2101 WATERBRIDGE BLVD
ORLANDO, FL 32837-9283
(407) 586-7271

smile
Posted By: olyve Re: Retailers - 11/01/21 12:06 AM
The closest warehouse to Duluth, GA is Gwinnett and that building opened 11/13/1996. Was that a former Price Club? Because Costco and Price Club merged about that time and we picked-up a lot of buildings that way.

The Gwinnett building is W187. Pretty sure Costco Seattle didn't have GA on it's mind back then. In the mid-90s, expanding into Canada and Mexico was a bigger dealio for Costco. Hmm

Gwinnett is huge county, second only to Fulton.

https://www.costco.com/warehouse-locations/gwinnett-duluth-ga-187.html

Duluth is in Gwinnett co. and that's where the Gwinnett building is.

I am not familiar with the Price Club so I don't know if that was a merge or not. I will tell you that Gwinnett Co. did explode in the 90s. Suddenly it wasn't a sleepy Atlanta suburb anymore.
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: Retailers - 11/01/21 04:58 PM
Yeah, my brother-in-law lives at Costco. It’s totally impractical and for me as I don’t need to buy in bulk and couldn’t store what I bought if I did. But, as I said, BIL loves it
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Retailers - 11/04/21 07:47 AM
Small chest freezers are incredibly cheap, and very inexpensive to run. I would buy one if we had room, just to buy loss leaders when they are on sale really cheap. But Costco doesn't really do that. They tend to have upscale stuff at reasonable prices. Cheaper than Amazon, for some things. Case in point: Local supermarkets have 10 pound bags of Russet potatoes as loss leaders for a few bucks. But they are usually small, have a lot of shovel marks, and sprout quickly. My wife has been buying potatoes at Costco lately, and they are steak house quality! Large or very large, no marks, and they last through the whole 10 pound bag without sprouting. Cost more, but much nicer to cook with.
Posted By: Greger Re: Retailers - 11/04/21 03:29 PM
I buy a pound and a half of petite gold potatoes, they usually sprout before I can use them.

If I want a big baked potato a single one is $.69 and I'm not liable to need more than one a week

My food hoarding days are over, they'll bring me groceries whenever I need them. Complicated meals are pretty much over too. I focus entirely on nutrition these days without getting caught up in fad diets and such. I've chosen the Mediterranean model as the least restrictive and healthiest for my own peculiar needs. I buy olive oil in three-liter tins these days...
I have a tiny kitchen now and am entirely confined to this f*cking wheelchair. Big pots of boiling water are verboten it's just not worth the risk...
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Retailers - 11/05/21 04:51 AM
I wonder if "meal fixings in a box", like Rick has, would serve you well. But perhaps meal planning is something you enjoy a lot.
Posted By: Greger Re: Retailers - 11/05/21 01:34 PM
Meal fixings come in a refrigerated delivery truck for me, I buy ingredients specifically targeted towards my nutritional needs, most of which would be neglected if I allowed others to plan my meals for me.

Rick is a busy man, I'm not.

My mise en place is pretty extensive. I can take any set of ingredients and make them French, Middle Eastern, Asian, Indian, Mexican, any number of regional American culinary styles, or whatever strikes my fancy, all while adhering to Mediterranean guidelines.

But yeah...I keep a stack of frozen dinners on hand too, Because I don't always feel like cooking even the simplest fare. Meals in a box wouldn't help at all there...I'd just leave them on the front porch until I felt like dealing with them.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Retailers - 11/05/21 09:31 PM
I tend to cook Asian or Mexican, with whatever we have on hand. It really helps to have a couple of producing avocado trees. All the pole beans, tomatoes, and romaine I grew helped too.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Retailers - 11/06/21 03:38 AM
I'm quitting the meal kit service. I cancelled this week's order and will cancel next week's as well, then call Customer Service to close my account. I've not gotten over the mildewy ground beef for the meatloaf.

Hmm
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Retailers - 11/06/21 08:24 AM
Ewww! So much for that idea.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Retailers - 11/06/21 04:01 PM
Waste not, Want not!
Just recycle the meat into a BlueBurger, you may not even need to add Bluecheese! sick

TAT
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: Retailers - 11/06/21 04:09 PM
Speaking of - I really like the impossible burgers. The only disappointment is that they’re no better for your health then hamburgers, but there are lots better for the environment.
Posted By: Greger Re: Retailers - 11/06/21 11:46 PM
I've never tried it, seems like just another overprocessed processed food. But I certainly won't knock it. It's a part of a future that I'm not a part of.
© ReaderRant