Capitol Hill Blue
CNN is about to start coverage of the Jan 6 Select Committee Hearings - are you watching?
Maybe this thread can be a place to voice our collective thoughts.
Not watching, but following. Question: do you think Pelosi is playing it strategically to the best advantage? The reason I ask is that Chris Cillizza, one of my favorite Opinion guys, took the position that by rejecting two of McCarthy's picks she had destroyed any chance of bipartisan credibility.

I think Pelosi is right, the rejects are actually participants in the insurrection, and have clearly stated their intent to do nothing but disrupt a legitimate investigation of a very serious matter. They are illegitimate choices. Besides, what bipartisan opportunity actually exists?
I think as far as bipartisanship and compromise go, that's dead for the foreseeable future. Not in today's modern political era of polarization, the great divide and the super, mega, ultra-high partisanship. If you can't get a compromise on something that both major parties are for like the infrastructure bill, forget it. It's each party for themselves.

On the removal, you have this:

“I didn’t think things could get more partisan in the House than they already were,” a top Republican aide told the Washington Examiner. “But Speaker Pelosi’s decision to remove Republicans from the January 6th Committee just took things to an entirely new level. When Republicans take back the House, expect endless retaliation.”

Republicans are a handful of seats away from reclaiming the majority and believe they can win back the gavel in the 2022 midterm elections.

McCarthy, angered by Pelosi’s move to overrule him on Jordan and Banks, has talked of using his power as House speaker, if the GOP wins the majority next year, to “decide who sits on every committee,” a source familiar with McCarthy's comments told the Washington Examiner. “Democrats would have no say.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/expect-endless-retaliation-house-riot-103800300.html

Was Pelosi right, probably so as I'm sure Jordan and Banks would do their utmost to focus the hearings on Portland and Minneapolis riots and not the D.C. riot.

As to the question of will the hearings be seen as a bipartisan attempt to get the truth or a partisan political hack job, who knows? I haven't seen any polling done on this since last May. Perhaps that is the result of lack of interest or perhaps not? Time will tell.
When Republicans take back the House, expect endless retaliation.”

When have we ever expected anything else? What were the Trump years besides an endless vendetta against everything Democrats have ever done? When was the last time we saw a headline proclaiming that Republicans wanted bi-partisan legislation...? They don't. they want to rule with an iron fist.

The capital police testimony really brought home how Republican voters will proudly use violence if necessary to maintain single party rule.

American voters will embrace it or reject it.

Christo-fascism won't be so bad...
Accusing the Capital Police of being "crisis actors" is going to backfire bigtime. We all saw it in real time. Trump fanatics will stay Trump fanatics, but Independents are going to remember the insurrection footage in the midterm election. I bet this will get the Democrats the votes they need in the Senate to kill the filibuster, and 2022 will start the big Democratic accomplishment season.
I bet this will get the Democrats the votes they need in the Senate to kill the filibuster, and 2022 will start the big Democratic accomplishment season.

You might very well be right. Because the newsreels just don't match the Republican rhetoric. There's police bodycam footage now too...and the thin blue line people are using steel whips on that thin blue line...

These folks aren't attracting the new voters they're gonna need come 2022, and their candidates are all trying to prove they can be bigger assh*les than Donald John Trump. This investigation will return the horror of the day to the memories of all decent Americans. And will expose the lies once again.

America already rejected Trumpism once and if the Trumpists want to re-litigate the 2020 election in 2022 I think it's gonna backfire.
I would not be too surprised if it gets a few congresspeople kicked out or even prosecuted. I heard one of them was using her cell phone to tell insurrectionists where Nancy Pelosi was hiding. If the insurrectionists committed crimes, directing them was a crime as well.
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
I would not be too surprised if it gets a few congresspeople kicked out or even prosecuted. I heard one of them was using her cell phone to tell insurrectionists where Nancy Pelosi was hiding. If the insurrectionists committed crimes, directing them was a crime as well.

I want to draw myself a mental picture of how the "kicking out process" actually works.
That's because I am convinced that it can't work, McCarthy will just freeze it out and the two or three Dems in Name Only will vote against any such thing because they think it would destroy "bipartisanship"...same reason they won't move on even reforming the filibuster.
And forget Republicans helping, even if they're for it. They see what happens to honest conservatives of principle.

And let's not forget, Trump's Senators have blood on their hands, too.
They see what happens in the House, they know the cannon gets aimed at them next.
Mitch isn't having any of that and I am sure his best friends Manchin and Sinema will protect the Senate from the wheels of justice.
Bipartisanship, ya know? :doh:

Of course the insurrectionists committed crimes.
140 of them should never have even been sworn in.
That's happened before...I think during the runup to the Civil War, a bunch of congress critters were simply shown the door, yes?

Uh oh...."do we want another civil war, Jeffy?"
Of course not. I don't want one, you probably don't either.
But it's coming, whether we want it or not.
It's coming because it already started, on January 6, 2021.
And the idea of stopping it and turning things around is about as realistic as stopping peristalsis after several cans of beans.
And Trump's been rolling that beautiful bean footage for six years now.

[Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]
Originally Posted by logtroll
Not watching...Chris Cillizza, one of my favorite Opinion guys, took the position that by rejecting two of McCarthy's picks she had destroyed any chance of bipartisan credibility..?
Idiot Kevin McCarthy destroyed any chance of bipartisan credibility by nominating two assclowns who voted to not certify the 2020 election and whose only purpose for being on the committee was to obstruct and manipulate the outcome.
2021: Kevin McCarthy says Republicans will get to the bottom of what happened on Jan 6th.

1995: OJ Simpson says he will hunt down the real killers of Nicole Brown Simpson & Ron Goldman.

Coincidence, I think not. Some people are saying that many of the GQP major donor contributed financially to sending Trump's domestic terrorists to DC and many GQP politicos had a hand in planning the event. Additionally, politicos like Raphael Cruz and Josh Hawley's rhetoric fomented insurrectionist actions. Hmm

This is why the GQP was not onboard with this investigation, they want none of this confirmed.
Republicans will get to the bottom of what happened on Jan 6th.

What happened on Jan 6th was when the Republican race to the bottom finally bottomed out.

We know it and they know it.

It was a GOP riot and it was planned in advance. They came armed and prepared for violence.

A QAnon follower and acquaintance of mine told me that serious shite was gonna go down on 1/6, that I was gonna see Biden, Pelosi, and many others arrested and Trump re-instated.

On the morning of 1/7 he told me it was Antifa and BLM...

Now he believes they were peaceful tourists...Denial is a wide river.
On the other hand, the DOJ just told Mo Brooks that inciting a riot on January 6th was not part of his official duties as a congressman, so they decline to defend him. He can't hide behind them by making the US government the defendant in the law suit against him, and the same is going to expose him to criminal prosecution. Hint: It means other people on that platform are not going to be able to use that BS excuse either.
Brooks can appeal that decision so it's not a done deal.

The body armor is telling, this was no regular speaking engagement, Brooks knew it, they all knew it.

But the idiots thought it was a genuine coup...they thought they were taking over and keeping Trump in the White House! That they'd be hailed as heroes...!

And they remain a booger on the GOPs finger.

Republicans have gone to the strategy that has always worked best for them.

Denial.
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Originally Posted by logtroll
Not watching...Chris Cillizza, one of my favorite Opinion guys, took the position that by rejecting two of McCarthy's picks she had destroyed any chance of bipartisan credibility..?
Idiot Kevin McCarthy destroyed any chance of bipartisan credibility by nominating two assclowns who voted to not certify the 2020 election and whose only purpose for being on the committee was to obstruct and manipulate the outcome.

Looks like I didn't mention that one of those two assclowns that Kevin McCarthy tried to put on the Committee is complicit in the failed insurrection. I'll mention that fact now.

smile
On the other hand, the DOJ just told Mo Brooks that inciting a riot on January 6th was not part of his official duties as a congressman, so they decline to defend him. He can't hide behind them by making the US government the defendant in the law suit against him, and the same is going to expose him to criminal prosecution. Hint: It means other people on that platform are not going to be able to use that BS excuse either.
Mo Brooks has now asked the US House Council to weigh in. Dude is desperate to be absolved of his actions. Typical Rightwing behavior. coffee

Plus Mo Brooks wore body armor on 1/6. You don't wear body armor if you're speaking in front of a crowd of tourists. Hmm
You don't wear body armor if you're speaking in front of a crowd of tourists.
These days that's not really a given. These paranoid f*cks think Antifa is as heavily armed and dangerous as they are...
Originally Posted by Greger
These days that's not really a given. These paranoid f*cks think Antifa is as heavily armed and dangerous as they are...
Clearly OxyContin is a serious issue with these people, if they think that antiFA is heavily armed. Hmm
It's pretty funny that all the Republicans want the FBI to take on the "Terrorist Antifa Organization", and the FBI says they can't because there is no such thing. No Official Organization. No Big Cheese. No bank accounts, No funding. Alt-Right organization like Proud Boys and the KKK all have leaders because their philosophy attracts people who want to tell others what to do. Antifa is pretty much just individuals, doing what their name says. Anybody can go fight Fascism. No membership card needed! The only people creating Antifa are the Fascists themselves.

The last great organized Antifa movement was the Allied armed forces in the 1940's.
Projection.

It's another odd right wing trait.

For one reason or another, they are of the idea that we are as evil and misguided as they are...

Hmm
Originally Posted by Greger

Not if you ask your friendly neighborhood neo-Nazis...they find it hilarious that Antifa is considered any kind of physical threat.
If ever there was a case of perceived Chads versus Beta-cucks outside of incel territory it's Nazis versus Antifa.
The Nazis definitely see themselves as Chad.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The last great organized Antifa movement was the Allied armed forces in the 1940's.

All too true.
Everything since then, including the 1980's German punk squatter movement that inspires today's American Antifa, has been cosplay and street theater, and the best Nazi recruiting tool ever conceived.
I keep reading that "Legal Experts" say that Trump has violated so many laws, that he'll be indicted. I firmly believe that Trump will never see a day of prison, nor receive a slap on the wrist.

mad
It was announced this morning that all the phone record investigations of Trump and his people around January 6th will include the following members of the House: Andy Biggs, Lauren Boebert, Mo Brooks, Madison Cawthorn, Matt Gaetz, Louis Gohmert, Paul Gosar, Marjorie Taylor Greene Jody Nice, Jim Jordan, Scott Perry,

In other words, any House member who is thought to have lent support to the insurrectionists.

Oh, oh! Time to think about plea deals? The early birds get the best deals!
Kevin McCarthy is so stupid he commits a crime to threaten tech companies for turning over evidence of his Party's members in Congress about their participation in the Jan 6th insurrection:

Obstruction by Intimidation, Threats, Persuasion, or Deception 18 U.S. Code § 1512(b)
The second group of offenses within Section 1512 outlaws obstruction of federal congressional,
judicial, or administrative activities by intimidation, threat, corrupt persuasion or deception. In
more general terms, subsection 1512(b) bans (1) knowingly, (2) using one of the prohibited forms
of persuasion (intimidation, threat, misleading or corrupt persuasion), (3) with the intent to
prevent a witness’s testimony or physical evidence from being truthfully presented at
congressional or other official federal proceedings or with the intent to prevent a witness from
cooperating with authorities in a matter relating to a federal offense. It also bans any attempt to so
intimidate, threaten, or corruptly persuade. The conspiracy, accomplice, RICO and money
laundering attributes are equally applicable to subsection 1512(b) offenses.

Obstructing Congressional or Administrative Proceedings 18 U.S. Code § 1505
Whoever corruptly, or by threats or force, or by any threatening letter or communication influences, obstructs, or impedes or endeavors to influence, obstruct, or impede the due and proper administration of the law under which any pending proceeding is being had before any department or agency of the United States, or the due and proper exercise of the power of inquiry under which any inquiry or investigation is being had by either House, or any committee of either House or any joint committee of the Congress—

Shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both.

Yet another instance of a Republican official crossing the line into criminality to obstruct justice. How is this any different from organized crime that buys judges and police to cover up their crimes? McCarthy has just volunteered to join the defendants if a RICO prosecution occurs.
Kevin McCarthy is so stupid he commits a crime to threaten tech companies for turning over evidence of his Party's members in Congress about their participation in the Jan 6th insurrection:

[quote]Obstruction by Intimidation, Threats, Persuasion, or Deception 18 U.S. Code § 1512(b)
The second group of offenses within Section 1512 outlaws obstruction of federal congressional,
judicial, or administrative activities by intimidation, threat, corrupt persuasion or deception. In
more general terms, subsection 1512(b) bans (1) knowingly, (2) using one of the prohibited forms
of persuasion (intimidation, threat, misleading or corrupt persuasion), (3) with the i............................

Absolutely UTTERLY meaningless and here's why:
The spineless ball-less Congress together with the equally spineless and ball-less DoJ will NEVER EVER prosecute him.
Just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Every day I expect to see somebody indicted. Not today...
Sounds like Kevin McCarthy and MTG are scared and nervous. I wonder why... coffee

And oh! Add Mo. smile
I think they are both going to get censured in the House. It just takes a simple majority. Expulsion take 2/3 so that's not going to happen. But indictment could. Threats to interfere with with a committee investigation subpoena is a felony. Trump could do it because he had immunity. Nobody else has that.
© ReaderRant