Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: jgw Why and How can they? - 10/21/21 05:34 PM
Last night I was watching Trump at one of his speeches to the true believers. We have all seen these things. The people who are behind him seem to all be old enough for Medicare and Social Security and none of them appear to have piles of money. Everytime I see this I get gobsmacked as it just makes no sense!

I can remember when Trump was messing around with the budget and had slated to reduced support for both Medicare AND Social Security! I expect many here can remember this as well. There was even some discussion on it.

My problem remains. What in the hell are these people doing? Why are they supporting somebody who wants to take away their healthcare and money they need to eat with? Why! Then there are all the signs, many of which are praising Trump for doing so much to help them! Next Question! What, exactly has Trump done for these people that they are grateful for?

I dawns on me that something strange going on here. These people literally adore Trump! They also think he has done a lot for them! They are actually grateful to him for all the good he has done. None of this makes any sense.

So, does anybody understand what in the hell is going on? Oh, maybe that's the wrong question. How about; does anybody understand why people think that Trump has helped them and why would they simply ignore his effort to wreck Medicare and Social Security when they rely on both to survive. Its just too strange to let stand. There has to be somebody that can explain it all?

Please?
Posted By: perotista Re: Why and How can they? - 10/21/21 07:34 PM
Why do people vote the way they do or support who they do. There is no common sense answer. Around 60% of the electorate vote the R and the D. History shows that those who consider themselves Republicans and or Democrats will vote for their party's candidates 92% of the time. No questions asked regardless of who the candidates are.

That probably has a lot to do with our modern political era we've entered into, of polarization, the great divide and the super, mega, ultra-high partisanship. Why Republicans in general or Trump supporters in particular think of Trump as their savior, I've been unable to figure that one out. In my younger days, I've been an avid supporter of certain candidates, but when they lost, it was time to move on. You don't see that with Trumpers.

As for the remaining 40%, we call them independents, the non-affiliated, the less to non-partisans among other names. There's probably more than a million and one reasons why they vote like they do. They have no qualms voting for one party's candidates one election and then reverse themselves by voting for the other party's candidates the next. Now I'm sure each has their own reason, some probably make a lot of sense, other reasons we probably consider asinine.

But whatever the reason, that reason is important to them. I'm probably no help. But in short, it may be it isn't up to others to understand why I or others vote the way I or others do. I, myself have to understand. No one else.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: Why and How can they? - 10/21/21 09:30 PM
JGW the following article may lend some insights regarding the mindset of diehard Trump fans:

Article
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/21/21 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by jgw
There has to be somebody that can explain it all?

Please?

They are all a bunch of big fat boobs!
Posted By: olyve Re: Why and How can they? - 10/21/21 09:52 PM
For many people in America (poor and rich), it's about "getting away with it". Cheating, especially the government. Having no boundaries. Mobster lifestyle.

It's the American Way.
They think Trump is smart because he gets away with all the crimes he's committed.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/21/21 10:26 PM
Tony Soprano Syndrome?
Posted By: olyve Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 12:43 AM
Welp, Loggs. I'm a very boring person. I've never watched the Sopranos but from the sound of the name.....yeah prolly.
(ps first time I ever watched a segment of Friends was when the pandemic started.... blush. pss I'm from the South, I'm a little slow gittin there)
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 12:46 AM
I think some of it might have to do with the American Dream. I might live in a single-wide right now but- one good lawsuit, one good accident, a successful side gig selling weed, and that’ll be me at the front of the line at the bank.

Or it will be my kids, get them through college, start at juco, then go to state, be a lawyer, something like that.

Our goddamn turn is coming, and when it gets here I’m not paying any taxes either.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
…be a lawyer, something like that.
What is wrong with you?? Hmm
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by olyve
Welp, Loggs. I'm a very boring person. I've never watched the Sopranos but from the sound of the name.....yeah prolly.
(ps first time I ever watched a segment of Friends was when the pandemic started.... blush. pss I'm from the South, I'm a little slow gittin there)
Yer way ahead a me, I’ve never watched an episode of Friends.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by jgw
So, does anybody understand what in the hell is going on? Oh, maybe that's the wrong question. How about; does anybody understand why people think that Trump has helped them and why would they simply ignore his effort to wreck Medicare and Social Security when they rely on both to survive. Its just too strange to let stand. There has to be somebody that can explain it all?

Please?
It’s quite simple when seen from the perspective of nine or ten dimensions … or is that dementions?
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 01:42 PM
My simple algebraic manipulations require 11 dementions to make string-em along theory work!
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 05:50 PM
one good lawsuit, one good accident, a successful side gig selling weed, and that’ll be me at the front of the line at the bank.

You left out the Great American Dream: "WHEN I win the lotto..." That's actually a lot of folks excuse for zero retirement savings. Most people are really bad at figuring out odds. Win the lotto, or don't win the lotto: That sounds like 50:50 to many.
Posted By: olyve Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by logtroll
Yer way ahead a me, I’ve never watched an episode of Friends.
Nope. You just admitted to having knowledge of the Sapranos. So by my calculation....that makes us even.
grin
Posted By: jgw Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 06:37 PM
As far as I can tell the reason is that there is a large part of our population that is simply not capable to acting in their own best interest. The really strange thing is that they actually think that they are supporting somebody who does act in their best interests. Again, Trump tried to get rid of medicare and social security and not a single supporter even bothered to mention that. Instead they thanked him!

Then there is the ongoing problem of many Republicans also not having a real firm grasp of reality. The best example of that is the simple fact that those that are not vaccinated are something like 11 times more likely to die than those that have been vaccinated. Its on the news every day! There is no secret! Not getting vaccinated means that you are more likely to die if you get covid! Still, these people are ignoring the facts and going with the not getting vaccinated.

So, there is a large population of voters out there who don't care that their leader wants to do away with their medicare and social security. Now add in that these same folks are determined to not get vaccinated because it may hurt them even though their behavior actually is more likely to get them dead.

I read all suggestions as to the why of it all. Basically these people are insane and should probably be put someplace where they can't hurt themselves. I find it very strange indeed. Not only is a large portion of our voting public insane but everybody seems to have gotten used to it and consider that to be the new normal and the best thing we can all do is to just live with it. I think another way to put it is that we are all happy to live in a place where almost half the population is, pretty much, insane!

We have, I think, a big, big, problem!
Posted By: Greger Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 07:30 PM
Basically these people are insane and should probably be put someplace where they can't hurt themselves.

Indeed! We should lock all our political enemies up! Put them somewhere safe and warm, don't allow them to vote or voice their opinions because only we can be right and only we can save the world!

Lock them up!
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by jgw
There has to be somebody that can explain it all?

Please?

They are all a bunch of big fat boobs!

Despite the fact that I find females with ample bosoms attractive, it gets canceled out the moment nonsense like that spews forth from said "owner of said ample bosom".
Reality TV is literally "overflowing" with buxom females these days, seems almost every "Real Housewife" either is well endowed by nature or has had a lot of work done. But these shows are so obnoxious that they almost serve as a deprogramming tool.
Wifey loves trash TV and I swear, if I were to watch enough of it, I might just develop an affinity for women of slight dimensions instead. 🤣
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Greger
... only we can be right and only we can save the world!
I wish they would save the world, I would like some time off...
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 11:21 PM
Nope. You just admitted to having knowledge of the Sapranos. So by my calculation....that makes us even.
grin
Au contraire, mon cher! (enter the French nazi eek).

My wife forced me to binge watch The Sopranos with her. 'Twas not my fault, nor weakness, for 'twere aught but marital obedience...
Posted By: Greger Re: Why and How can they? - 10/22/21 11:41 PM
I don't have a television.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/23/21 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Greger
I don't have a television.
As an American, you are uncultured (at least in the eyes of this apiarist).
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Why and How can they? - 10/23/21 01:02 AM
No Moar Beeees! nono
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/23/21 01:16 AM
Respect the bee-holder.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Why and How can they? - 10/23/21 02:07 AM
A G Holder?
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/23/21 02:20 AM
over the shoulder
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Why and How can they? - 10/23/21 02:39 AM
Bowl der dash
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/23/21 11:08 AM
of pepper, sir?
Posted By: jgw Re: Why and How can they? - 10/23/21 05:13 PM
I think it was Marx who wanted to send all the very rich to an island and just leave them there. That being said it must mean that you are getting on the right track!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Why and How can they? - 10/23/21 06:41 PM
Sargent! Pepper, grunt
Posted By: olyve Re: Why and How can they? - 10/24/21 11:37 PM
grin
Au contraire, mon cher! (enter the French nazi eek).

My wife forced me to binge watch The Sopranos with her. 'Twas not my fault, nor weakness, for 'twere aught but marital obedience...

Tres Bien. En fait moi aussi, mon cher (I am, being a girl, cheri smile )

I heard my husband watching Friends, snickering to Monica explaining to Chandler what the 7 erogenous zones are for a woman. Rachael was helping with the conversation.
I knew I had to get in there quick.
Well then, the rest is history
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/25/21 12:11 AM
Is one of the seven her bank account?
Posted By: olyve Re: Why and How can they? - 10/25/21 03:46 PM
Is one of the seven her bank account?
Nope.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Why and How can they? - 10/25/21 11:13 PM
Unlimited pets?
© ReaderRant