Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Round Table Winter 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/18/22 06:10 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 01/18/22 04:01 AM
The long and winding road to Dumbass
by pondering_it_all - 01/18/22 03:08 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 01/18/22 02:31 AM
Texas hostages
by pdx rick - 01/18/22 02:10 AM
Winning
by perotista - 01/17/22 08:21 PM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pondering_it_all - 01/16/22 12:02 PM
Lindsey v. Mitch: Senate cage match
by logtroll - 01/15/22 05:11 AM
Don't look up
by jgw - 01/14/22 10:42 PM
Complexity Science
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/12/22 06:34 PM
What's for dinner?
by pondering_it_all - 01/02/22 09:37 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/02/22 04:21 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 12/31/21 01:56 AM
Gimme some of that good ol time religion
by pondering_it_all - 12/23/21 08:19 PM
F.D.A. Will Permanently Allow Abortion Pills by Mail
by Mellowicious - 12/22/21 09:03 PM
Joe Manchin thread
by perotista - 12/22/21 08:33 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by logtroll - 12/22/21 01:00 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,785,097 my own book page
4,858,865 We shall overcome
3,973,649 Campaign 2016
3,617,124 Trump's Trumpet
2,871,485 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
The electoral college has given us the worst two presidents in the last hundred years. Both Republicans. Hillary Clinton received more than two million more votes than Donald Trump and lost. I can see why Republicans love the electoral college. It, like gerrymandering and voter suppression, allows them political victories without having a true majority.

Is there a movement to get rid of the electoral college? It sure is being quietly debated, if so. I know I'd sign on.

Just a Missouri school teacher ... stubborn as a mule and addicted to logic.
journeyman
journeyman
I disagree, I believe the Electoral College is the way it is BECAUSE OF Gerrymandering. Read the Constitution, Article II, Section I, 2nd paragraph "Each State shall appoint, in such Manner, the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors..."

Gerrymander the control of the State Legislature and control the Electoral College; control the Electoral College and the Gerrymandering process and control the House of Representatives, the Senate and the White House. Both parties are guilt of Gerrymandering.

The solution, to me, remove redistricting from the hands of politicians and find a way to keep the process non-political. This can be done at the state level without any change or involvement at the federal level. Or, take the hard road, try to get a Constitutional Amendment ratified to change or eliminate the Electoral College.

Vote 2022!

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!
veteran
veteran
But political parties pick their slate of electors (which is entirely Party-dominated) and then the popular vote in each state selects which Party's slate will BE the electors. The state legislature really has nothing to do with it. In each state there will be a complete slate of Republican electors, a complete slate of Democratic electors, plus any other slates other parties care to put up.

The state legislature CAN decide the state electoral votes will be proportional or winner-take-all, but they do not affect who wins. US House Representatives DO affect it if there is an electoral vote tie, but how often does that happen? (answer 3)

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
The way I see it, they can KEEP the EC, but gerrymandering, voter suppression, Citizens United ALL at ONCE?
No...they get to keep ONE of those and only one, they don't get to keep them all.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
veteran
veteran
Citrizens is a decided issue thanks to the Supreme Court: Don't plan on that ever being overturned, but it can work both ways. It means that businesses owned by one very rich person can contribute a huge amount to political campaigns, and they don't have to be Republican.

As for voter suppression, that keeps coming to courts and most of them overturn those laws. So progress has already been made and more to come. This deal in Florida to restore voting to ex-cons is a huge deal.

Gerrymandering looks like it's losing, too. Pennslyvania is just the first of many.

veteran
veteran
You could make the constitutional argument that the Electoral College interferes with the votes of people who live in populous states by weighing the votes of people in less populated states to count more. This has the advantage of actually being true, and is the argument that just won in Pennsylvania.

But since the electoral college is right there in the Constitution too, it would be hard for a Court to get rid of it. I think you have to do that by Constitutional Amendment, and that's something the large states can't do without a lot of those small states joining in.

Or maybe populous states could divide into smaller states. For example, California could divide in two and get two more Senators and two more electoral votes.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When Republicans lose an election because of the Electoral College we will begin to see serious efforts to be rid of it. Until then look for more of the same.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Everything said here has truth to it. The Electoral College is an anachronism of our founding process. When the United States was conceived, there was a disparity between large and small States, but not as severe as today. The Electoral College was a compromise that wasn't as skewed then as it is now (and there were only 13 States then).

Gerrymandering exacerbates the skewing of the vote (and anathema to democratic processes), but doesn't account for the Senate disparities. The parties distort elections more than anything. But what makes it worst? Voter turnout. With greater turnout, the majority would still win out. While there would still be a bias toward the small States, it would be much narrower.

There are more similarities in US populations than differences - look at polling - but we tend to emphasize the conflicts. The truth is, our Representatives don't represent us, rural or urban, or many of the bigger problems - taxes, immigration, healthcare, and infrastructure - would be solved by now.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
veteran
veteran
I think back then state sovereignty was a much bigger issue. So individual states demanded an equal number of members in the Upper House of the legislature, to represent the interests of the state equally independent of the state's population. For the People's House, it goes by population. This compromise seems reasonable, but when you assign an elector for each of those House and Senate positions then the population disparity effect comes into play. It would have been much fairer if they just assigned an elector for each House seat.

Impossible to change now because the low populations states that benefit would have to ratify the constitutional amendment.

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I was always told that the electoral college was supposed to protect us from populist leaders. If that was true it was a complete failure which, in turn, means that it should go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 56 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,274
Posts313,911