Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by chunkstyle - 01/23/22 04:06 PM
The long and winding road to Dumbass
by chunkstyle - 01/23/22 03:28 PM
Don't look up
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/23/22 03:23 AM
Interesting read - maybe
by Mellowicious - 01/23/22 12:08 AM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pondering_it_all - 01/22/22 10:45 PM
XX or XY Genome
by Ken Condon - 01/22/22 07:01 PM
Round Table Winter 2021
by pdx rick - 01/22/22 04:46 PM
Winning
by perotista - 01/22/22 02:57 PM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 01/21/22 06:34 PM
Texas hostages
by Mellowicious - 01/20/22 03:57 AM
Lindsey v. Mitch: Senate cage match
by logtroll - 01/15/22 05:11 AM
Complexity Science
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/12/22 06:34 PM
What's for dinner?
by pondering_it_all - 01/02/22 09:37 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/02/22 04:21 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 12/31/21 01:56 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,809,081 my own book page
4,871,104 We shall overcome
3,986,328 Campaign 2016
3,626,081 Trump's Trumpet
2,876,725 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Welcome to Friday
April 30th, 2010

Estes Park, Colorado...another of my favorite small towns:

[Linked Image]

In 2001, I spent 6 months in Estes Park. While there, I took a job as The Ghostess (ghost tour guide) at The Stanley Hotel...the inspiration for Stephen King's, The Shining. Yes, there are ghosts. Generally friendly...and lots of them!

One night, I stopped the tour in front of the gift shop. It was closed, locked and dark. As I related how the ghosts liked to turn lights on and off, the lights in the gift shop came on and began to flicker.

[Linked Image] Thanks for the back-up, guys!

[Linked Image]

Elk come into town regularly. They hang out on the main street, wandering among the shops, restaurants and traffic. Below, they've taken over the local golf course.

[Linked Image]

The view from the back deck of my efficiency cottage on the Big Thompson River:

[Linked Image]

I drove out from NJ, needing to get away from everything. Through sheer serendipity, I met a woman from Wisconsin who had come for the same reason. We're still friends. Me (on the left) and Kathy...on the Dream Lake Trail in Rocky Mountain National Park:

[Linked Image]

If this has been self-indulgent, I apologize. But it's a beautiful area I wanted to share. If you go there, you won't be disappointed. If you've already been there, tell us about it. grin

Today in History:

1812 - Louisiana became the 18th state to enter the United States of America. Named in honor of Louis XIV of France, the capital ois Baton Rouge, the magnolia is its flower, the pelican is the state bird and the state tree is the bald cypress. You are My Sunshine is Louisiana’s state song. The state motto is: Union, justice and confidence.

1889 - The first national holiday in the United States was celebrated...the centennial of George Washington’s inauguration.

1900 - Train engineer Casey Jones was killed when trying to save the Cannonball Express as it barreled its way through Vaughn, MS.

1903 - Victor Records made its first Red Seal recording this day. The premiere disk featured Ada Crossley, an opera contralto.

1939 - The first railroad car equipped with fluorescent lights was put into service. The train car was the General Pershing Zephyr.

1939- Baseball’s ‘Iron Horse,’ Lou Gehrig, played his last game with the New York Yankees.

1939 - Public Television began. President Franklin D. Roosevelt became the first chief executive to appear on TV. Roosevelt spoke at the opening ceremonies of the New York World’s Fair in Flushing, NY on WNBT in New York.

1940 - Belle Martell was licensed in California by state boxing officials to be the first American woman prize-fight referee.

1944 - The New York Giants whipped the Brooklyn Dodgers 26-8, which set a major-league record for runs driven in by a team in a single game.

1945 - Queen for a Day, hosted by Jack Bailey, was first heard on Mutual radio. The first Queen was Mrs. Evelyn Lane. Years later Bailey would take the show to TV for a long, popular run.

1945 - Arthur Godfrey began his CBS radio morning show. Godfrey’s show was different in that he used live talent and not records.

1947 - Boulder Dam was changed back to its original name, Hoover Dam.

1964 - The FCC stated that all TV receivers should be equipped to receive both VHF (channels 2-13) and the new UHF (channels 14-83).

1975 - Saigon fell into communist hands this day, the unofficial end of the Vietnam War.

1985 - The National Basketball Association set an all-time season attendance record as 19,506,355 fans attended games in arenas around the league.

1987 - Three more compact discs of music by The Beatles went on sale for the first time. The discs were Help!, Rubber Soul and Revolver. All became hits again for the Fab Four.

Number One on the Charts in 1984

Beat the Odds

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
AN~I really enjoy your Travelogue intros. since I like to travel so much myself. I say Keep 'em coming! ThumbsUp

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

veteran
veteran

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
...as if you're above the fray. rolleyes

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by california rick
...as if you're above the fray. rolleyes

never said I was* - which is why I posted it here in the roundtable to have a bit of a laugh about it instead of directing it at any particular individuals so you may withdraw your rolling eyes!

*but i like to think im reasonably fact based and dont just "look at the boobies". Full disclosure i do look at boobies

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

veteran
veteran
ROTFMOL

sure, you can talk to god, but if you don't listen then what's the use? so, onward through the fog!
J
J
Here in Western NY we aren't much affected by the great threat posed by people who speak a different language swarming across our borders, from the north or the south (unless you count Pennsylvanians, who speak in a tongue not always readily understood in Buffalo, dere). What does pose a huge problem, however, are the rampant red-light and stop-sign runners. What if we posted sharpshooters at the most dangerous intersections to systematically pick off those dangerous drivers? Maybe we could get some cell phone users and the dreaded texters the same way. Or would that be profiling?

"When all think as one, only one is thinking."
--"Big Jim" Byrne
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
AN~I really enjoy your Travelogue intros. since I like to travel so much myself. I say Keep 'em coming!
Thanks, Scout! grin If you ever feel like featuring some of the places you've been to that you liked...that would be fun, too!

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
It is a common experience for many men: A girlfriend or wife starts crying out of nowhere and suddenly the guys are being accused of being insensitive.

Women are whizzes at reading, and even predicting, emotion in others. And they often expect their partners to be, too. Scientists, however, have joined the men's side, saying such expectations are unreasonable for the male kind.

A nasal spray that works like a performance enhancer for empathy brain circuits could render the bickering unnecessary, a new study suggests.
Link

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Schlack
*but i like to think im reasonably fact based and dont just "look at the boobies".
...so you're trying to tell us that you look a women in the eyes as you speak to her.

[Linked Image]

ROTFMOL

[Linked Image]

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 48 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users