Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
The long and winding road to Dumbass
by pdx rick - 01/23/22 02:12 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 01/23/22 12:12 AM
Interesting read - maybe
by Mellowicious - 01/23/22 12:08 AM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pondering_it_all - 01/22/22 10:45 PM
XX or XY Genome
by Ken Condon - 01/22/22 07:01 PM
Round Table Winter 2021
by pdx rick - 01/22/22 04:46 PM
Winning
by perotista - 01/22/22 02:57 PM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 01/21/22 06:34 PM
Texas hostages
by Mellowicious - 01/20/22 03:57 AM
Lindsey v. Mitch: Senate cage match
by logtroll - 01/15/22 05:11 AM
Don't look up
by jgw - 01/14/22 10:42 PM
Complexity Science
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/12/22 06:34 PM
What's for dinner?
by pondering_it_all - 01/02/22 09:37 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/02/22 04:21 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 12/31/21 01:56 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,808,235 my own book page
4,865,815 We shall overcome
3,982,199 Campaign 2016
3,622,563 Trump's Trumpet
2,876,163 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Welcome to Friday,
May 7th, 2010

It's garden time again.
A couple good food threads on board, too.
Sounds like a theme!

[Linked Image]

The higher the number, the longer the growing season.

[Linked Image]

More zucchini than you know what to do with? Make lasagna or a mock apple pie...

Zucchini Lasagna

* 2 large zucchini
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 pound ground beef
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
* 1 small green bell pepper, diced
* 1 onion, diced
* 1 cup tomato paste
* 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1/4 cup red wine
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
* hot water as needed
* 1 egg
* 1 (15 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
* 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
* 8 ounces grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a deep 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. Slice zucchini lengthwise into thin slices. Sprinkle slices lightly with salt; set aside to drain in a colander.
3. Cook and stir ground beef and black pepper in a large skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Add in green pepper and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, wine, basil, and oregano, adding a small amount of hot water if sauce is too thick. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer sauce for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Meanwhile, stir egg, ricotta, and parsley together in a bowl until well combined.
5. To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of prepared pan. Then layer 1/2 the zucchini slices, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, all of the spinach, followed by all of the mushrooms, then 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Repeat by layering the remaining meat sauce, zucchini slices, ricotta mixture, and mozzarella. Spread Parmesan cheese evenly over the top; cover with foil.
6. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil; raise oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Note: I've made this with just zucchini, cheeses, an egg, diced tomatoes (or you can use a high-quality jar of pasta sauce) and my own choice of seasonings. Came out fine. .

Zucchini "Apple" Pie

* 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
* 2 large zucchini
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 pinch salt
* 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 pinch ground nutmeg
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Peel the zucchini. Cut into quarters lengthwise, then remove seeds and cut crosswise (as you would cut apples for apple pie). Toss together 4 cups chopped zucchini, lemon juice and salt. Place mixture into frying pan and cook until tender-crisp.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, cream of tartar, nutmeg and flour. Add the cooked zucchini to sugar mixture and mix well. (It will be a little runny.)
3. Place filling into a 9 inch pie crust, dot with butter, and place top crust on. Bake in oven at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

I make this with a crumb topping instead of a top pie crust. Does taste a lot like apple pie.

From Wiki: Raw foodism (or rawism) is a lifestyle promoting the consumption of uncooked, unprocessed, and often organic foods as a large percentage of the diet. Raw foodists typically believe that the greater the percentage of raw food in the diet, the greater the health benefits. Raw foodism or a raw diet is usually equated with raw veganism in which only raw plant foods are eaten,[1] but other raw foodists emphasize raw meat and other raw animal products.[2] Depending on the type of lifestyle and results desired, raw food diets may include a selection of raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds (including sprouted whole grains such as gaba rice), eggs, fish (such as sashimi), meat (such as carpaccio), and nonpasteurized/nonhomogenized dairy products (such as raw milk, raw milk cheese, and raw milk yogurt). Raw foodists can be divided between those that advocate raw vegetarianism or raw veganism, and those that advocate a raw omnivorous diet. Adherents of raw foodism believe that consumption of uncooked foods encourages health benefits.

Zucchini Salad

3 shredded zucchini
2 red apples cut in small pieces
1 avocado cut in small slices
cumin to taste
Braggs (apple cider vinegar) to taste

1. Mix all ingredients together and serve.

Haven't made this yet...but how bad could it be? Hmm I have the ingredients
and will try it today. I'll let you know...

Later: Okay...I tried this and made lots of changes. Posted the
updated version below (in the reply section).

Mint Smoothie

2 medium bananas
1 medium cucumber
2 tbs fresh basil
1 tbs fresh mint
2 small peaches or 1 apple

Put all ingredients in blender, blend until smooth.

Nice combination of flavors. I threw in some raw milk, too...thought it might be too thick otherwise. The second time I made it, I added a touch of organic agave nectar, which was good...but not necessary.

Lots of raw food recipes here .

[Linked Image]

Today in History

1789 - The first Presidential Inaugural Ball was held in New York City.

1912 - Columbia University approved final plans for awarding the Pulitzer Prize. The award was established by Joseph Pulitzer.

1912 - The first airplane equipped with a machine gun flew over College Park, MD.

1915 - On its return trip from New York to Liverpool, England, the British ocean liner, Lusitania, was torpedoed by a German U-boat off the coast of Ireland. The Lusitania was carrying a cargo of ammunition from the U.S. to Great Britain. The ship was carrying over 2,000 civilian men, women and children. 1,198 lives were lost.

1941 - Glenn Miller and his Orchestra recorded Chattanooga Choo-Choo.

1945 - Baseball owner Branch Rickey announced the organization of the United States Negro Baseball League, consisting of six teams.

1945 - Nazi Colonel General Alfred Jodl signed the terms of unconditional surrender. Eisenhower’s Chief of Staff, Lt. General Walter B. Smith signed for the Allies.

1951 - Russia was admitted to participate in the 1952 Olympic Games by the International Olympic Committee.

1958 - Pianist Van Cliburn signed an artist’s contract with RCA Victor Records.

1959 - 93,103 fans packed the LA Coliseum for an exhibition game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the New York Yankees. Sandy Koufax pitched for the Dodgers and lost to the Yankees, 6-2. It was Roy Campanella Night. The star catcher for the Dodgers, paralyzed in an automobile accident, was honored for his contributions to the team for many years. ‘Campie’ continued to serve in various capacities with the Dodger organization for many years.

1966 - The Mamas & The Papas made the climb to the top of the Billboard pop music chart with Monday, Monday. It was the second hit by the group, just two months after their first, California Dreamin’.

1985 - The Edmonton Oilers set a National Hockey League record for playoff wins (12). Edmonton won a second trip to the Stanley Cup finals with a 7-3 win over the Chicago Blackhawks.

1987 - Shelly Long made her last appearance as a regular on the popular TV show, Cheers.

Today's Featured Birthday

Rabindranath Tagore

May 7th, 1861 – 7 August 7th, 1941

“Facts are many, but the truth is one.”
Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf.

[Linked Image]

A poet, novelist, musician, and playwright, Tagore reshaped Bengali literature and music in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Author of Gitanjali and its "profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse," in 1913 he was the first non-European to win the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Tagore was a mesmerising representative of the Indian culture whose influence and popularity internationally perhaps could only be compared to that of Gandhi, whom Tagore named 'Mahatma' out of his deep admiration for him.

Tagore was already writing poems at age eight. At sixteen he published his first substantial poetry under the pseudonym Bhanushingho (Sun Lion) and wrote his first short stories and dramas in 1877. Tagore denounced the British Raj and supported independence. His efforts endure in his vast canon and in the institution he founded, Visva-Bharati University.

Tagore modernized Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and essays spoke to political and personal topics. Gitanjali (Song Offerings), Gora (Fair-Faced), and Ghare-Baire (The Home and the World) are his best-known works, and his verse, short stories, and novels were acclaimed for their lyricism, colloquialism, naturalism, and contemplation.

Dance Lightly

Last edited by Almost Naomi; 05/07/10 02:40 PM. Reason: update recipe note

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Excellent intro, AN~tasty raw foods and great music.makes the body and the mind feel good! ThumbsUp

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

veteran
veteran

Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf.
I love that!
I love your garden vegetable theme, Naomi.
Suits my mood on the brink of our farmers market opening for the year tomorrow.
I love this time of year.
Growing things.

I've got the day off today but I've got lots of stuff to catch up on.
It's all good though.

Morning everybody!
Olyve

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
'Morning., Olyve! grin I love the growing season, too.

My plants did survive the foot+ of snow last week...but I think it took its toll anyway. We'll see.

Just an FYI...I added more to my note for the raw smoothie...forgot all about it last night. Was adding some final touches on the opener at around midnight. Wrong time to be trying to think straight...ya know? crazy

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Updated zucchini salad recipe:

2 shredded zucchini
2 red apples cut in small pieces
1 avocado cut in small slices
1 orange cut in pieces
Walnuts...or whatever nuts you like
cumin to taste...or a seasoning/spice that you like*
Braggs (apple cider vinegar) to taste**
Dusting of sea salt

1. Mix all ingredients together.

*Wasn't wild about the cumin but couldn't take it out. wink

**Long time since I had apple cider vinegar. Didn't like it back then, but thought maybe my tastes have changed. Still don't like it. I put very little in, so I'll deal with it. But maybe a raw dressing from the recipe link would be better.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Naomi, how about Sherry Wine vinegar subbing for the apple cider vinegar? It's very light.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Got a tip for really "rich" chocolate cake. Use shredded raw red beets.

Seriously. For real. smile

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Where's Humphreysmar - have seen her post lately.

(...and Mellow too. While I'm add it: Bammers aka BamaMama)

veteran
veteran
I'm got my cable back finally!

Night all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jeffery J. Haas, perotista), 37 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,276
Posts313,984
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017