Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
The long and winding road to Dumbass
by pdx rick - 01/23/22 02:12 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 01/23/22 12:12 AM
Interesting read - maybe
by Mellowicious - 01/23/22 12:08 AM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pondering_it_all - 01/22/22 10:45 PM
XX or XY Genome
by Ken Condon - 01/22/22 07:01 PM
Round Table Winter 2021
by pdx rick - 01/22/22 04:46 PM
Winning
by perotista - 01/22/22 02:57 PM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 01/21/22 06:34 PM
Texas hostages
by Mellowicious - 01/20/22 03:57 AM
Lindsey v. Mitch: Senate cage match
by logtroll - 01/15/22 05:11 AM
Don't look up
by jgw - 01/14/22 10:42 PM
Complexity Science
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/12/22 06:34 PM
What's for dinner?
by pondering_it_all - 01/02/22 09:37 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/02/22 04:21 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 12/31/21 01:56 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,808,235 my own book page
4,865,815 We shall overcome
3,982,199 Campaign 2016
3,622,563 Trump's Trumpet
2,876,163 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The card's micro speaker has two Hallmark characters, Hoops and Yoyo, bantering about how the graduate is going to dominate the universe. They tell the planets to "watch your back" and issue a stern warning to "ominous" black holes.

That's where the NAACP got angry.

They say that the audio sounds more like "black whores," and that card is implying that black women are not as capable or as powerful as their white counterparts.

Hallmark Yanks Card After Complaints of Slur Against Black Women

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Much ado about nothing. It reminds me of the misplaced outrage by the Washington DC city council over the word "niggardly".

I've never been a fan of reference to women as whores, ho, and bitches. Those terms are used by men with small minds and likely other small body parts. I would be most pleased to see the once well regarded NAACP campaign to end the use of these disgusting words in all American cultures and sub-cultures. I've never understood the American fascination with thug speech.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Next thing you know.. Santa Claus will be banned because he says "Ho,Ho, Ho."

SkyHawk
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Almost Naomi
The card's micro speaker has two Hallmark characters, Hoops and Yoyo, bantering about how the graduate is going to dominate the universe. They tell the planets to "watch your back" and issue a stern warning to "ominous" black holes.

They say that the audio sounds more like "black whores," and that card is implying that black women are not as capable or as powerful as their white counterparts.

The idea of the racist (not to mention thoroughly sexist) NAACP trolling the aisles of Hallmark stores looking for something to which they can "demand an apology" is simply farcical when one considers that the term "ho" is marketed to children of all colors by 'black' rappers and music companies without any demand for apology -- even going so far as to honor purveyers of such. Hypocrites. But then, this particular pack of arses is operating out of Los Angeles, so maybe it is just to be expected.:-)

The NAACP is hardly a bastion of women�s rights in the modern era. Nor do they have any moral authority to demand an apology on any Black woman�s behalf for being called or referred to in a disparaging way considering the fact that they just handed out their highest honor to a man that has dedicating his life to the exploitation and degradation of Black women, Russell Simmons. Russell Simmons who says that calling women b*tches and hoes is therapeutic and prevents teen pregnancy:

In the book, �Life and Def: Sex, Drugs, Money, and God,� Simmons suggests that such cruel words can have a positive impact on young women: �[A]fter years of hearing rappers talk negatively about women, about their babies� mothers and sex,� he writes, �there�s been a real change in the patterns of teen pregnancy. Teen pregnancy in the black community is down, and I believe hip-hop�made girls smarter about premarital sex.� Harvard Crimson

And the NAACP gave this man a �Vanguard� award? For bringing the world �Move. B*tch Get out the Way� and �You�ze a Ho?�
Nor can they speak with any moral authority about the appropriate treatment of professional Black women when every other president in the past decade has left his position under a cloud of sexual impropriety.
LINK
Yours,
Issodhos

Last edited by issodhos; 06/13/10 06:34 PM.

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
veteran
veteran
We should get the state of Idaho to come up with a better name, as well!

This message is brought to you by Hostess Brands, Inc: The makers of Ho-Hos, Ding Dongs, Twinkies, and many other tasty snack foods with offensive names.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by issodhos
Originally Posted by Almost Naomi

The idea of the racist (not to mention thoroughly sexist) NAACP trolling the aisles of Hallmark stores looking for something to which they can "demand an apology" is simply farcical when one considers that the term "ho" is marketed to children of all colors by 'black' rappers and music companies without any demand for apology -- even going so far as to honor purveyers of such. Hypocrites. But then, this particular pack of arses is operating out of Los Angeles, so maybe it is just to be expected.:-)

The NAACP is hardly a bastion of women�s rights in the modern era. Nor do they have any moral authority to demand an apology on any Black woman�s behalf for being called or referred to in a disparaging way considering the fact that they just handed out their highest honor to a man that has dedicating his life to the exploitation and degradation of Black women, Russell Simmons. Russell Simmons who says that calling women b*tches and hoes is therapeutic and prevents teen pregnancy:

In the book, �Life and Def: Sex, Drugs, Money, and God,� Simmons suggests that such cruel words can have a positive impact on young women: �[A]fter years of hearing rappers talk negatively about women, about their babies� mothers and sex,� he writes, �there�s been a real change in the patterns of teen pregnancy. Teen pregnancy in the black community is down, and I believe hip-hop�made girls smarter about premarital sex.� Harvard Crimson

And the NAACP gave this man a �Vanguard� award? For bringing the world �Move. B*tch Get out the Way� and �You�ze a Ho?�
Nor can they speak with any moral authority about the appropriate treatment of professional Black women when every other president in the past decade has left his position under a cloud of sexual impropriety.
LINK
Yours,
Issodhos

I don't disagree, Isso.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Minimal research points to a different NAACP:
The NAACP commends others who have already taken a principled stand on these issues. For example, in late April Roberts Broadcasting Companies implemented a new policy designed to ban the airing of all music and content that degrades women and/or is violent, racist or sexist in nature at its TV and radio stations. Master P and his son Romeo are breaking from the pack and starting Take A Stand Records. The label will feature only those artists who have pledged to be role models, with proceeds going toward scholarship funds for underprivileged kids.

The NAACP has been at the forefront of the battle against negative stereotypes of African Americans starting with protest of D.W. Griffith�s �Birth of a Nation� in 1915. It was the late C. Delores Tucker, an NAACP Special Contribution Fund Trustee, and others in the 1990s that picketed and sued to remove sexually explicit lyrics from rap and hip-hop tracks, citing a concern that the lyrics were misogynistic and threatened the moral foundation of the African American community.
NAACP website

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Minimal research points to a different NAACP:
Minimal is as minimal does. I suspect that even a Klan site would lavish itself with praise.
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Well this is one of those put up or shut up moments. Please provide some source for your slur of the NAACP/

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Well this is one of those put up or shut up moments. Please provide some source for your slur of the NAACP/
L.A. chapter of NAACP demands apology from Lowes! Claims garden store advertized Spring sale on "hoes"! LOL
Yours,
Issodhos

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jeffery J. Haas, perotista), 37 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,276
Posts313,984
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017