Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Throwing a cat among the pigeons
by Mellowicious - 01/27/22 08:45 PM
Winning
by perotista - 01/27/22 08:29 PM
Congress
by jgw - 01/27/22 06:45 PM
What's for dinner?
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/27/22 05:20 PM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 01/27/22 04:12 PM
Round Table Winter 2021
by Ken Condon - 01/27/22 07:37 AM
They're saying the quiet parts out loud now
by pondering_it_all - 01/26/22 01:14 AM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pdx rick - 01/25/22 01:55 AM
The long and winding road to Dumbass
by chunkstyle - 01/24/22 05:37 PM
Interesting read - maybe
by Mellowicious - 01/24/22 06:19 AM
Don't look up
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/23/22 03:23 AM
XX or XY Genome
by Ken Condon - 01/22/22 07:01 PM
Texas hostages
by Mellowicious - 01/20/22 03:57 AM
Lindsey v. Mitch: Senate cage match
by logtroll - 01/15/22 05:11 AM
Complexity Science
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/12/22 06:34 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/02/22 04:21 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 12/31/21 01:56 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,814,831 my own book page
4,880,451 We shall overcome
4,001,677 Campaign 2016
3,639,385 Trump's Trumpet
2,891,667 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BC Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
G'morning! This is Monday, the 6th of August, 2007

Somewhere up yonder�

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

On this day in...
1787 - Sixty proof sheets of the Constitution of the United States are delivered to the Constitutional Convention.
[Linked Image]
1806 - Francis II, the last Holy Roman Emperor, abdicates, thus ending the Holy Roman Empire.
1862 - American Civil War: The Confederate ironclad CSS Arkansas is scuttled on the Mississippi River after suffering damage in a battle with USS Essex near Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
1890 - At Auburn Prison in New York, murderer William Kemmler becomes the first person to be executed by electric chair.
[Linked Image]
The generator was charged with the 1,000 volts, which was assumed to be adequate to induce quick unconsciousness and heart stoppage. The chair had already been thoroughly tested; a horse had been successfully electrocuted the day before.

Kemmler was electrocuted for 17 seconds. Witnesses reported the smell of burning flesh and several nauseated spectators fled the room. The power was turned off and Kemmler was declared dead.

However, witnesses noticed Kemmler was still breathing. The attending physicians, Dr. Edward Charles Spitzka and Dr. Charles F. Macdonald, came forward to examine Kemmler. After confirming Kemmler was still alive, Spitzka reportedly called out, "Have the current turned on again, quick � no delay."

In the second attempt, Kemmler was shocked with 2,000 volts. Blood vessels under the skin ruptured and bled and his body caught fire.

In all, the entire execution took approximately eight minutes. Westinghouse later commented: "They would have done better using an axe." A reporter who witnessed it also said it was "an awful spectacle, far worse than hanging."
1912 - The Bull Moose Party meets at the Chicago Coliseum.
[Linked Image]
1914 - World War I: First Battle of the Atlantic - Two days after the United Kingdom declared war on Germany over the German invasion of Belgium, ten German U-boats leave their base in Heligoland to attack Royal Navy warships in the North Sea.
1914 - World War I: Serbia declares war on Germany; Austria declares war on Russia.
1926 - Harry Houdini performs his greatest feat, spending 91 minutes underwater in a sealed tank before escaping.
1941 - A curfew is imposed on US gas stations in preparation for the upcoming war.
1945 - World War II: Hiroshima is devastated when an atomic bomb, "Little Boy", is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 90,000 people were killed instantly.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1960 - Cuban Revolution: In response to a United States embargo, Cuba nationalizes American and foreign-owned property in the nation.
1962 - Jamaica becomes independent.
1964 - Prometheus, the world's oldest tree, is cut down.
1965 - US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965 into United States law.
1984 - Pop star Prince releases Purple Rain, the album which would launch him to superstardom.
[Linked Image]
1990 - Gulf War: The United Nations Security Council orders a global trade embargo against Iraq in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.
1991 - Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web.
1993 - Louis Freeh is confirmed by the United States Senate to be the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
1996 - NASA announces that the ALH 84001 meteorite, thought to originate from Mars, contains evidence of primitive life-forms.
[Linked Image]
1997 - Microsoft buys $150 million worth of shares of financially troubled Apple Computer.
2000 - The Roman Catholic Church's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, under Prefect Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, publishes Dominus Iesus, notable for its lack of the filioque clause in the Latin text of the Nicene Creed.
2001 - White House briefing entitled Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S. delivered to George W. Bush. This document foreshadowed the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?
- - - Alfred Lord Tennyson

Here�s the birthday bunch!!!
1697 - Charles VII, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1745)
[Linked Image]
1809 - Alfred Lord Tennyson, English poet (d. 1892)
[Linked Image]
1844 - James Henry Greathead, British engineer (d. 1896)
1861 - Edith Roosevelt, American First Lady of the United States (d. 1948)
[Linked Image]
1892 - Hoot Gibson, American actor (d. 1962)
1908 - Helen Jacobs, American tennis player (d. 1997)
1911 - Lucille Ball, American actress (d. 1989)
[img]http://www.lucy-desi.com/images/front2.gif[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/80/Robertmitchum.JPG/220px-Robertmitchum.JPG[/img]
1917 - Robert Mitchum, American actor (d. 1997)
1928 - Andy Warhol, American artist (d. 1987)
[img]http://www.huntfor.com/absoluteig/images/artists/warhol.JPG[/img]
1930 - Abbey Lincoln, American jazz singer
1938 - Peter Bonerz, American actor
1943 - Jon Postel, American computer scientist (d. 1998)
1945 - Andy Messersmith, American baseball player
1949 - Alan Campbell, Northern Irish clergyman
1949 - Clarence Richard Silva, Catholic Bishop of Honolulu
1965 - Yuki Kajiura, Japanese composer
1965 - David Robinson, American basketball player
1978 - Marisa Miller, American supermodel
1990 - JonBen�t Ramsey, American murder victim, supermodel in training (d. 1996)
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...benet.jpg/180px-John_ramsey_jonbenet.jpg[/img]

I'd asked around 10 or 15 people for suggestions. Finally one lady friend asked the right question, 'Well, what do you love most?' That's how I started painting money.

I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning.

If you want to know all about Andy Warhol, just look at the surface of my paintings and films and me, and there I am. There's nothing behind it.

- - - Andy Warhol

- - - Bob

Administrator
old hand
Administrator
old hand
Morning BC. grin

elisejk@yahoo.com

"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
- Adlai Stevenson

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BC[/img
[Linked Image]
1917 - Robert Mitchum, American actor (d. 1997)

Morning y'all.
I loved Robert Mitchum!

For all you Grateful Dead listeners(lovers). I just got back from Asheville (Stereoman's stomping ground....yes it was hot and muggy but awesome anyhow). We went to a Jerry Garcia birthday tribute concert and it was stunningly good.
Set list...Help is on the Way, Slipnot, Franklin Tower, Samson and Delilah, West LA Fadeaway, Queen Jane, Shakedown, Scarlot Begonia, Music Never Stops, Estimated Prophet, Drums(with the addition of a local), He's Gone, One More Saturday Night, Masterpiece (my request), and Terrapin Station.
Twas very good.

Thanks for the donut.

Olyve

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Mornin' everyone! [Linked Image]

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
You got donuts???

* The state of Nebraska is the last to use the electric chair...and they wonder why folks think they're backwards. Mississippi doesn't use the electric chair any more, for cry sakes.

* Maybe we could get a few hundred more copies of the Constitution, and glue 'em to the desk tops in the House and Senate.

* I've been to Hiroshima, and to Nagasaki, and I don't think I'll ever be quite the same. I wish the US had a museum similar to the ones in those two cities.

* Need a cheerful thought to close on...ok: Hurray for the Great Entertainers - Harry Houdini and the Grateful Dead!

Mornin', y'all - - just passin' through.

Julia
“It’s the shipwreck that leads you to the magical island.”
(Trevor Noah)
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good Morning. Bob, maybe you can fill us in. I hear that there is going to be a significant sky event on or about August 27th. Mars should appear very large and red.

What do you know?

Hope you all have a great day.

Steve, I'm getting tomatoes and okra from my "garden."

...reminder...better go water said plants.....

Where ever you go, there you are!
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Who's got donuts? [Linked Image]

I'll have an apple-fritter, please - and a glass of milk.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Good morning ladies: Kathy, Olyve, Mellow Julia, elsiejk [Linked Image]

...and you too, Bob! [Linked Image]

enthusiast
enthusiast
I ate a cheese bear claw (all of it) Saturday. Whoever invented philo (sp) dough was a genius.

Well time to walk off the weekend excesses........

Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are!
A
veteran
veteran
A
1945 - World War II: Hiroshima is devastated when an atomic bomb, "Little Boy", is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 90,000 people were killed instantly.

1996 - NASA announces that the ALH 84001 meteorite, thought to originate from Mars, contains evidence of primitive life-forms.

COINCIDENCE? I think NOT!
�In our windy world, what's up is faith, what's down is heresy.�
-- Alfred Tennyson

From the Church of Ineffable Stupidity:

a) IraqNam
160,000 or 1/3 of the automatice rifles and handguns provided to Iraq's army are gone. In the hands of insurgents. Many more bombs went off, killing dozens. More the 60 tortured, murdered bodies found in the streets.
The Maliki government is falling, making the key measure (political solution) of the surge impossible to reach.

But according to 7 out of 8 GOP candidates, the Surge is a success.
- - -

b) Judy Miller
From her own mouth and pen,
My job isn't to assess the government's information and be and independent intelligence analyst myself. My job is to tell the readers of the New York Times what the government thought about Iraq's arsenal.

In other words, Judy admitted to being a stenographic White House Whore. No wonder we found ourselves in this mess - the journalists didn't even think that doing their original jobs was worth doing anymore.

Marcy Wheeler has written a brilliant book digging into the run up to the war, and how the Bush Administration has gamed the system in using journalists for propaganda entitled ANATOMY OF DECEIT. It is a quick, but worthwhile read. Highly recommended.
- - -

c) Afghanistan
as the death spiral of US efforts at rebuilding continues, one glimmer of hope exists. A market economy is growing stronger each day, especially outside of Kabul. The opium market is having a record year, with poppies blooming all over.

For those who can't or won't recall, the Taliban had banned poppy growing and had pretty much eradicated the opium exports. Now that they are fighting the western devil, sending opium abroad to the US and Europe just makes sense.
- - -

d) GOP Iowa-y caucus
Online polls found Ron Paul winning 4-1. Telephone Polls found Ron Paul winning 3.5-1. E-mails supported Ron Paul 6-1 over the next highest candidate. Phone in polls found heavy support for Ron Paul, with Giuliani, Thompson (F), Romney far behind.

So, who did the GOP announce as the winner of the GOP Caucus debate on Sunday?
Mitt Romney.

If you EVER think that this system is not gamed and pre-ordained, think again.
- - -

e) Condi Rice
her latest code word? "Transformational Diplomacy"
This supposedly describes her efforts to fix what was not broken, at least until she drove the Department into the ground, and close to 5 feet under. Her deft administrative touch, her warm, talented and effective leadership, and her knowledge and understanding of subtle global affairs have caused so much trouble and strife within the Department that she was forced to announce a push to "reinvigorate and modernize the State Department. . . ."
Rice further claims that �This is a strategy rooted in partnership, not paternalism � in doing things with other people, not for them. We will use America�s diplomatic power and our foreign assistance to help foreign citizens better their own lives, build their own nations, transform their own futures, and work with us to combat threats to our common security, including the spread of weapons of mass destruction.�

Upon a closer reading between the lines, this initiative sounds suspiciously like the ill-fated mission in Iraq propagated by the Bush White House. In this way, Rice�s �Transformational Diplomacy� initiative mainly comes down to serving the Bush Doctrine, and leaves out a number of other areas of crucial strategic importance to long-term U.S. national interests. Despite this imbalance, some of Rice�s admirers applaud her willingness to assess critical flaws in current U.S. foreign policy. However, the actions she has taken in this regard have had little to no impact on the Western Hemisphere, since her attention has been narrowly-focused primarily on only one region of the world (the Middle East, where she currently is visiting), at the expense of most of the others (especially Latin America).

Translation: State is gonna do what King George wants, with me telling them what to do and how to do it.

So, how has this Transformational Diplomacy worked around the world?
i. South America - Cuba, Venezuela, are more popular than ever, and US efforts are being openly laughed at. More anti-American ism exists than since the 1950s.
ii. Central and North America - Canada looks south and shakes its head. Mexico is seething at US policies.
iii. Europe - A total failure. Only Poland stands tall with the US, and even there, many pols are arguing against following our lead.
iv. Russia - a new cold war is brewing, solely because of Condi's total ineptness and the stupidity of Bush's policies on missiles, trade, security and more.
v. China - they have grabbed the reins of Pacific Rim leadership. Condi is too busy to attend the meetings. Distrust of US policies has never been higher.
vi. Africa - the religious based policies promoted by Bush are a dismal failure. The experimentation by US drug companies on the youth of Africa has created a deep, and growing, hatred of all things US. Our failure to stop Darfur proves we are all talk, no action. Or no good action.
vii. Australasia - the people are nervous and dislike Team Bush.
viii. Belgium - AH, the success story. After a great number of beers, and lots of pot, Belgians secretly admit that they enjoy watching Condi Rice on TV. "She is much funnier than any of our domestic comedians these days. I can't believe how creative your Hollywood is. Imagine if she were actually in charge. Ha ha ha! You Americans! So funny!"

"There was never a good war or a bad peace."

Benjamin Franklin
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61