Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
A Question of Culture
by Mellowicious - 10/20/21 01:53 PM
Winning
by perotista - 10/20/21 12:22 PM
Carbon Sequestration
by logtroll - 10/20/21 11:31 AM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pdx rick - 10/20/21 04:09 AM
Mountain Meadows Massacre
by Mellowicious - 10/20/21 02:41 AM
Where did this car thing start?
by logtroll - 10/20/21 01:39 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 10/20/21 01:04 AM
Who killed General Colin Powell?
by Ujest Shurly - 10/19/21 10:42 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 10/19/21 12:19 AM
A Musical Quiz
by TatumAH - 10/18/21 09:01 PM
What about the latest Catholic Church fiasco in France?
by pondering_it_all - 10/18/21 08:35 PM
What % of humanity is batsh!t crazy?
by pondering_it_all - 10/18/21 08:33 PM
Southwest, American among Texas businesses defying governor
by pondering_it_all - 10/18/21 08:24 PM
Mobile sign-in issues
by pdx rick - 10/18/21 03:20 AM
Biden Administration Threads not in Current Topics
by Jeffery J. Haas - 10/18/21 03:10 AM
Arizona Audit/Recount 2020 election
by rporter314 - 10/16/21 05:23 PM
opening schools
by Greger - 10/12/21 12:33 PM
Lyrics
by pondering_it_all - 10/10/21 09:04 PM
Miss Navaho Nation
by logtroll - 10/10/21 02:53 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,582,476 my own book page
4,724,231 We shall overcome
3,769,493 Campaign 2016
3,449,932 Trump's Trumpet
2,717,156 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
OP Offline
I am sitting here watching Chris Hayes (MSNBC) doing a report on the California drought. And it occurred to me that there was a drought back in the 30's ... the Dust Bowl. At that time, various relatives of my ancestors fled to California ... like in the Grapes of Wrath. So many people from Oklahoma fled, that some people in California still say, "I can't go out looking like an Okie." (I've heard them.)

So, if the California drought continues, might there be an eastward migration of California farmers? Might they flee their farms, flee their homes, as jobs dry up, and head to Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, etc. to make a new start?

I learned to be a water miser when I lived in California thirty some years ago. Californians were already aware, concerned, and proactive. Yay, Californians, I love you.

And I hate to think of such a devastating thing happening to California. But, I (definitely selfishly) would love to have Californians inundate the middle states. I would love to have lots of Californians living in my neighborhood, voting in local elections, "going to the Walmart's" not looking like Okies.

The midwest could get a lot bluer.

Last edited by Spag-hetti; 07/21/15 12:57 AM.

Just a Missouri school teacher ... stubborn as a mule and addicted to logic.
veteran
veteran
Lots of blogger righties revel in California's water woes in a "God is punishing the Libs" sort of way (there's usually a conception that everyone in blue states is liberal and everyone in red states is conservative). The usual blame is not on drought (which could be connected to climate change, and that is not an allowed thought) but is reserved for environmentalists.

Anyway, Californians leaving because of a water shortage may be blue or red, but it's for certain that the culture of California is certainly more liberal than that of, say, Oklahoma. So there will be a culture clash, and probably a resentment of anyone who is from California, in the states where those folks might go.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Texas and Oklahoma were inundated with flooding just this past winter and Spring. And with drought the previous 2-3 years before that(remember, Texas had over 100 consecutive days of 100 degree temps and no rain a couple of years ago). The Northeast is also suffering from horrific and prolonged winters of snowstorms/ice storms/nor'easters, and there has been drought in the Pacific Northwest. Plus, the severity of hurricanes and tornadoes is increasing, along with frequency. There have also been catastrophic weather and earthquake events in other parts of the world. All which is caused more by climate change. Of course, it could be acts of God to let us know that she is not happy with how we are treating the environment...just sayin'. wink

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Spag-hetti

And I hate to think of such a devastating thing happening to California. But, I (definitely selfishly) would love to have Californians inundate the middle states. I would love to have lots of Californians living in my neighborhood, voting in local elections, "going to the Walmart's" not looking like Okies.

The midwest could get a lot bluer.

It wasn't a drought that made me do the Reverse Dust Bowl Migration back in 1998. It was the after effects of the 1994 Northridge Quake and the crooked dealings of the California Insurance Commissioner, who was a Republican, by the way.

I was completely wiped out and thanks to Chuck Quackenbush's sweetheart deal with big insurance, Allstate was able to sneak out on covering most people like me thanks to a loophole, so I got two cents on the dollar on a 350 thousand dollar loss.

I've done the migration to the red states and although I miss all the wonderful people I made friends with down there in Texas and Oklahoma, I will never ever live there again.

I fled BACK to California, and I know what to expect.
I expect that the meteorologist's predictions for an El Nino will come true in October, because they have been right before.

And this El Nino they claim is coming in October will break the drought. Yes, there will widespread flooding. California will get five years worth of water in six week's time. It's feast or famine but believe it or not, despite the fact that the droughts are worse now thanks to climate change, this IS the normal baseline for the region. It's just exaggerated now, that's all and the damage is worse.

Not only that but I am confident that California will leverage technology to mitigate the water shortage. Desalination is becoming a lot like solar power. Not only are we now scaling up large scale desal plants along the coast in earnest, there are also low tech small scale solutions to desalinate seawater and brackish water for individual use which have been around for centuries.

The only thing that has ever held back our special brand of West Coast ingenuity is conservative greed and selfishness, and the fearmongering they seem to be addicted to.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: logtroll
So there will be a culture clash, and probably a resentment of anyone who is from California, in the states where those folks might go.

There was for us, and it got really old, really fast.
I am not used to being made to feel unwelcome in a place I live in, especially if I have been there for a decade, and I got fed up with it.
It wasn't an occasional thing, it was a constant theme in the background. Not a whisper, a MANTRA.

There are a lot of wonderful people in Texas and Oklahoma, but they are in the minority if you're "a Yankee", which is ANYONE who wasn't born there - - - except George Bush.
He got a pass.

deepfreezefilms.com
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
Not only that but I am confident that California will leverage technology to mitigate the water shortage. Desalination is becoming a lot like solar power. Not only are we now scaling up large scale desal plants along the coast in earnest, there are also low tech small scale solutions to desalinate seawater and brackish water for individual use which have been around for centuries.

The only thing that has ever held back our special brand of West Coast ingenuity is conservative greed and selfishness, and the fearmongering they seem to be addicted to.

And if a desal plant leaks, it doesn't pollute. ThumbsUp

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

veteran
veteran
The drought really only applies to the farmers in the central valley, who got water for almost nothing. (And they are probably conservatives, too!) All of us in Southern California cities are already paying more to get delta water down here than it would cost to desalinate it locally!

Our water districts just need to build the desal plants and get unhooked from the state water project.

So the only people who might reverse-grape it back to the midwest are already Red Staters.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A friend of mine elsewhere on social media made me think tonight.

I mentioned the big ass El Nino due to roar up the coast this fall and how there's a 90% chance it's coming for sure.

Jeffery Haas
Quote:
The right wing blogosphere seems to take particular joy in California's water crisis. The holy rollers think God is punishing lefties and liberals and the conservatives think that California's loss will be their gain.
They don't understand California's feast or famine weather cycles any more than Californians seem to understand Florida's cavalier approach to devastating hurricanes.
The forecasters acknowledge that there's no guarantee on an El Nino hitting California this fall, but the odds are now at 90 percent.
And it is predicted to be the strongest one in fifty years, which means it will break the drought.

I alluded to the fact that it's going to be enough to break the drought, and he replied:

Milton Brewster
Quote:
This is a lot of water. I wonder what our plans are, to capture that water? It's still warm, so the Sierras might not form the winter snowpack we usually depend upon. Drought has silted other reservoirs more than we think. The Sacramento Delta has not been well maintained for twenty years, so it won't hold the water we expect. I suspect that a lot of that water will just run off back into the Pacific ocean.

That pulled me right out of my reverie. tonbricks

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
Florida's cavalier approach to devastating hurricanes.

That one's pretty simple. They just don't happen often enough to be genuinely concerned. It's been ten years since a hurricane hit Florida.(Thank you Global Climate Change) Even when they do, most are non-events. They don't happen suddenly, we see them coming weeks in advance. They can be pretty nasty if you live on the coast and suffer a direct hit, otherwise it's just a windy rainy day. Often what looks absolutely awful to the rest of the nation on radar really isn't. News crews always get out to the beaches and film the surf and the stoplights swinging in the wind along with the street signs whipping back and forth. Palm trees flapping around make good video too, but when it comes right down to it "devastating" hurricanes are pretty rare.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted By: logtroll
Anyway, Californians leaving because of a water shortage...

That is one reason why I sold my home and moved - not the sole reason, but definitely a factor - and I wanted to get out before it affected property values.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 27 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,218
Posts311,270
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017