Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Summertime Roundtable
by Ken Condon - 09/21/21 09:41 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 09/21/21 03:41 AM
Afghanistan
by pdx rick - 09/20/21 07:59 PM
25,000 Employees sue Disneyland for better pay
by Greger - 09/20/21 04:46 PM
Did I hear that right?
by Greger - 09/19/21 03:49 PM
Masks, after vaxx, after delta
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:54 PM
The Lawlessness is the Point
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:32 PM
New Texas law
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:18 PM
Winning
by perotista - 09/14/21 01:06 PM
CRISIS ALERT!!
by logtroll - 09/13/21 01:10 PM
How did Common Sense Die?
by logtroll - 09/13/21 12:45 PM
World Travel via GeoGuessr
by pdx rick - 09/12/21 09:35 PM
Trial/no trials, 9/11
by Mellowicious - 09/12/21 04:46 PM
Le Shrooms
by Jeffery J. Haas - 09/12/21 04:41 PM
Who are the Taliban?
by pdx rick - 09/11/21 04:56 AM
my own book page
by Mellowicious - 09/07/21 03:21 PM
Sidesism
by Mellowicious - 09/06/21 12:02 AM
Jan 6 Select Committee Hearings - are you watching
by pondering_it_all - 09/04/21 11:49 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,505,458 my own book page
4,678,992 We shall overcome
3,691,244 Campaign 2016
3,385,848 Trump's Trumpet
2,665,159 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#281129 09/26/15 12:26 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Sen Cruz speech

I did not realize how crazy this character is

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
I did. He's even too crazy for most Republicans.
I'll skip the speech, nothing he has to say is worth the time it takes to listen to him say it.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Ted Cruz

"You know, scripture tells us there’s nothing new under the sun. I think where we are today is very, very much like the late 1970s — same failed economic policies, same misery, stagnation and malaise, the same feckless and naďve foreign policy; in fact, the exact same countries — Russia and Iran — openly laughing at and mocking the president of the United States."

---I am so sick and tired of hearing about the "failed economic policies of the 1970's" because, first of all, Ted Cruz was NINE years old in 1979, and I was twenty-two.
I was making enough money working PART TIME (I was a college student) to afford my own apartment, a vehicle and a very satisfying night life.

I think most people would give almost anything to see the cost of living today go back to what it was in 1979.

Ted Cruz pretends that the 1953 coup in Iran, in which our CIA played a role, had nothing to do with Iran's actions toward us.
That's his choice but facts remain true whether or not Ted Cruz acknowledges them.
It's time America acknowledged them.
And Russia? Openly laughing at and mocking the United States?
We had just concluded the SALT II Talks successfully with the USSR.

We weathered a major oil embargo by our "allies" and "good friends" the Saudis a couple of years earlier and we beat them to a pulp by pushing more exploration in Texas, so that by 1979 they had dropped oil prices and reestablished supply.
That's feckless?

I want a forum where Ted Cruz can be challenged by ordinary people who were adults during the times which he claims to know so much about, because he's full of bullcrap.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't know that most Americans realize how like McCarthy ted Cruz is. Crazy, I think, like a fox. I don't know if he really believes the crap he spouts, or he just knows how to manipulate his audience like Rush Limbaugh. He is as power hungry as Putin, as unprincipled as Robespierre, and as egotistical as Trump. What a combination.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
old hand
old hand
The good thing about Cruz, and others like him, is that he appeals to the tail of the distribution, not the mean.
This means the fringe. And they are never a majority (by definition).
The more dangerous are those that seem to be in the middle but in fact are not.
People who are bats^&t crazy will always exist. But thankfully they are not the majority.
They all fizzle out eventually and are replaced by even greater lunatics whose only purpose is to outdo their predecessors.
The contest is how loony can loony get. rolleyes

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NWP and Zeke, while I find myself agreeing with both your assessments of Cruz's character traits, I disagree with your risk profiles. The both of you seem to be saying "It can't happen here" but I submit that not only can it happen, it has before. McCarthyism irreparably damaged the values and psyche of this nation's collective consciousness, and when the Birchers and McCarthyites got marginalized the dumbest thing we did was to think they could never reincarnate.
Now both have done just that and they are many times more powerful than ever before.
Does Ted believe the crap he spouts? I say he does.
You know, the problem with John Wayne was, he actually believed he WAS John Wayne.

Big Jim McLain

Last edited by Jeffery J. Haas; 09/27/15 09:52 PM.

deepfreezefilms.com
old hand
old hand
Actually Jeff I know it can happen here. But McCarthyism and the Birchites are not good examples. They are opportunistic blips that sunk themselves just like Cruz and Trump. The catch words are different but the MO is the same - BTW my father threw away a subpoena from HUAC so I have very vivid memories of McCarthyism.
These are fringe movements and as such cannot hold sway for any extended period of time.
But look at what Reagan and Nixon and the Bushes and Cheney did. So it has happened here-when extremism masquerades as center. I don't think they aren't dangerous. I just think that Jeb is more dangerous because he tries to sell this moderate image but were he to win, I think the story would be quite different.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not sure I ever said that "it couldn't happen here." Indeed, I have been warning about the corrosive effect of Cruz and his ilk.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just wanted to take the temperature because I see all these groups on a continuum but it's not an entirely smooth continuum and the players aren't one dimensional..
The Kochs ARE the Birchers and now with their billions, they're on steroids, sort of like Super-Birchers.

Eisenhower warned about the power of the military industrial complex.
Goldwater warned about the power of a shotgun wedding between church and right wing politics.

deepfreezefilms.com
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
So perhaps--“We” have arrived.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 37 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby, Superfly
6,296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,190
Posts310,035
Members6,296
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017