Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pdx rick - 10/25/21 07:00 PM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pdx rick - 10/25/21 06:53 PM
Winning
by perotista - 10/25/21 04:50 PM
What's for dinner?
by TatumAH - 10/25/21 04:02 PM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 10/25/21 04:02 PM
Why and How can they?
by olyve - 10/25/21 03:46 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by TatumAH - 10/25/21 03:38 PM
Joe Manchin thread
by Greger - 10/25/21 02:08 PM
REWARD: Vote Fraud
by logtroll - 10/25/21 12:10 AM
Le Shrooms
by logtroll - 10/25/21 12:07 AM
U.S. Companies Bet Shoppers Will Keep Paying Higher Prices
by pondering_it_all - 10/24/21 08:35 PM
Bureaucracy
by jgw - 10/24/21 08:33 PM
The GOP, goop, and political Pop-tarts
by pdx rick - 10/23/21 03:12 PM
Carbon Sequestration
by pondering_it_all - 10/23/21 07:28 AM
What % of humanity is batsh!t crazy?
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 02:49 AM
A Question of Culture
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 02:43 AM
3 word story game
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 01:26 AM
Where did this car thing start?
by jgw - 10/20/21 05:14 PM
Mountain Meadows Massacre
by Mellowicious - 10/20/21 02:41 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,599,062 my own book page
4,734,236 We shall overcome
3,780,394 Campaign 2016
3,458,588 Trump's Trumpet
2,727,777 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
veteran
veteran
I ran an Ubuntu machine a while back for chip verification. It worked fine. So later I tried to use one as a DVR. That worked, but then failed after the first update. Then later the special hardware drivers I needed got upgraded so it worked again. Then the OS got updated, and it failed again. Then the hardware makers gave up and stopped updating their drivers for a constantly shifting Linux environment.

Went back to Windows 7 and got it all working again. Had to upgrade for various reasons to Windows 10, and Microsoft had stripped out their DVR software for no particular reason. Said "screw it" and subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime, and started watching YouTube.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
All excuses a person might make if they were as poor as me. My machine was originally Windows 7. I loaded Windows 10 as soon as it came out, had some issues early on but it ironed itself out over time.

You can round up a used machine for cheap at any computer shop. Or if you go with a desktop you can order the parts and build it yourself. I'm gonna keep this machine running another year or so until the re-model is finished then I'll build something capable of any gaming I'm liable to do.

I'm a desktop guy. I have enormous hands and need a fullsize keyboard to type effectively, I've never been comfortable with laptops. My eyes aren't so good either so I like a huge monitor too.

You aint poor, man, you've told us how well you've done. So why you such a cheap ass...?

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Online Content
Failure to communicate

I am trying to cope with the decisional conflict of purchasing a new computer, as my standby machine was a Dell Latitude running Win7. It still computes just fine, except for a bit of overheating (likely cat fur in fan), but it has a severe failure to communicate. It started with WiFi but progressed to being unable to communicate through the Ethernet cables that I never removed. I can write an email or text and save to thumb drive and go upstairs to the Win7desktop, though that risks "feedback" from wife as desktop is in woman cave.
Right now I'm using the desktop, but downstairs I'm limited to an Amazon fire tablet, which wears out my index fingers.

I originally hesitated to upgrade as I would have to go to Win10 with any new laptop or desktop for that matter.
Then since work requiring windows was no longer a constraint, I even started reviewing the new MacBookpros and Ipad pros, which made decisions even worse.
Macs seem much more friendly with Iphones, as even my wife has no problem with her old Ipad and phone syncing.

Then I saw that DragonSpeech, which I used for years was no longer available or supported in the Mac world, though some say I could run in in a windows window on the Macbook-pros.
What could possibly go worng with that? Maybe if I introduce myself to allexa she could fix everything.

Like Greger, i prefer a desktop and a big screen, with a mouse which I use instinctively with photo-editing in Picassa which was also autopilot for me after snap editing images for at least 5000 conferences, but Picassa is no more except in Win7 world!

Then, since Im into music again, it would be great to have all my sheet music on a tablet on a music stand, so I can find the right selection in concert band rehearsals and performances, and make the musical notes large enough to read with reading glasses. Covid stopped the Band. Then I figured why not look into music editing and midi processing, and then why not digitize and edit all the kids videos, stored on VHS, Hi8,etc but Hi8 camera was lost by miscreant kid, so have to look for new playback machines... you get the picture!

My wife has a solution for me, buy one of each computers and if you dont like it, sell it.
At this point I start drinking and hit brain dump/erase/delete, until my fingers get tired again.

I suspect none of you will be very sympathetic to my plight, as I have never ventured into gaming other than PONG, which I think can be run on something in the pile of kid abandoned gaming bin.

NWP had a post cheering about how much fun he was having with digital recording, that also made me hesitate even more.

Im lucky that I dont have any real computer project deadlines that could stimulate decision making, Oh, and then there is Covid that keeps me from going out and actually laying hands on a new machine.

We are signed up for our first Covid immunization in Mid Feb, so maybe then I will seriously start active procrastination. It is all a great distraction from the smouldering nation!

cant decide between
Sincerely and
Stay well
So I'll use both
Thank you very much!
TAT
ATT
TTA

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
There is a number of different ubuntus. I have found that they can even be mixed. My wife uses windows 10. I used to do a lot of coding and used windows but linux is better for that as the software can be compiled for both OS's.

My main problem is that I don't mess with my wife's machine unless its blowed up. I built it so I can fix it and its the hardware. I have, pretty much, lost my knowledge about windows as I am now used to something different. When she has a problem I usually just goto a good forum and ask the question. For Windows I use cnet (used to own stock in that one). I usually get answers in 1 day off that one. My main problem with getting answers on the net is that some of the answers are years old. I no longer do that and have found getting current answers is MUCH better!

veteran
veteran
My current computer is a Dell Latitude wide laptop, with an I5 and a fairly huge hard drive. I use a 22" monitor and a Logitech mouse. It does have a full-size keyboard. The only thing I don't like about it is the damned touchpad.

This monitor size is perfect for my vision: Any bigger and it would be hard to watch TV on it at my optimal viewing distance. I rarely even use the full screen for video.

I've been building my own computers for about 44 years. Dozens of them. I don't really enjoy it much anymore. Last time my wife's computer went South, I bought her a Windows 10 computer the size of a cigarette pack and left it all up to the maker. I tend to wait until they poop out before updating. I'd probably get one similar to hers when I do.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I bought my daughter two of those Dells. The one you describe sounds almost identical to the last one I bought her. They're just about bulletproof.

Other than the touch pad I think the laptop keyboards are just too flat. I like a banked 3 dimensional keyboard, I've got enormous and rather clumsy hands...3XL glove size. I'm not much good with cell phones either.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Online Content
Dell Latitudes were designed to take a licking, and the department, knowing our history of computer abuse, mandated Latitudes, and they were right.

Multifunctional woodworking tools can do many tasks, but rarely as well as dedicated single function tools. I think it is too much to ask a single computer to be optimal in meeting all my needs and desires, and be portable, and affordable. I see multiple machines in my future, but probably first a Windows 10 laptop with multiple USB ports for mouse, separate keyboard, and whatever else like a CD/DVD that is no longer a feature on laptops. Or maybe an old latitude with pirated Windows 7!

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I bought an HP laptop with a 15" screen a couple of years ago. It didn't have an operating system, or hard drive, and cost me 100.00 It has a 1tb drive, a cd/dvd and 12 gb of memory. Its an older model agout 2" thick. It works just fine (put ubuntu on it) and I use it when I am watching tv. Its good and its fast (2.4ghz) I would like something that weighs less but too lazy and cheap to replace it. its a good machine and it was cheap.

its strange. I haven't checked prices on used laptops for a while. Just did, for some reason they cost more now than they did a couple of years ago! Must be kids getting laptops for school has kept the prices up. The other day I thought I would check the prices of motherboards. Those prices are, I think, a bit high too. I expect that, over time, it will be better.

I buy most of this stuff on ebay.

veteran
veteran
My Latitude I bought used on Ebay too, for some ridiculously low price. I bought it around the time I5s were coming off a 2 year lease, so there was a glut of them. It has been very reliable, probably because I never move it. By then, manufacturers were getting good at building laptops that could take some physical abuse. It came in perfect condition, so I expect the original user never used it as a portable either.

I tend to replace computers when they break, so this one may last a while. It's still way faster than I need. Plays video just fine. I could probably use some better speakers, but the audio hardware is way more sophisticated than I need.

J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I have one machine which I use for tv. I run the signals through a denon receiver. Works pretty good. I have attached it to a 65" tv. I did that about 3 years ago and it was a bugger to get it all going but, now, its running just fine.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 47 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,225
Posts311,555