Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pdx rick - 10/25/21 07:00 PM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pdx rick - 10/25/21 06:53 PM
Winning
by perotista - 10/25/21 04:50 PM
What's for dinner?
by TatumAH - 10/25/21 04:02 PM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 10/25/21 04:02 PM
Why and How can they?
by olyve - 10/25/21 03:46 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by TatumAH - 10/25/21 03:38 PM
Joe Manchin thread
by Greger - 10/25/21 02:08 PM
REWARD: Vote Fraud
by logtroll - 10/25/21 12:10 AM
Le Shrooms
by logtroll - 10/25/21 12:07 AM
U.S. Companies Bet Shoppers Will Keep Paying Higher Prices
by pondering_it_all - 10/24/21 08:35 PM
Bureaucracy
by jgw - 10/24/21 08:33 PM
The GOP, goop, and political Pop-tarts
by pdx rick - 10/23/21 03:12 PM
Carbon Sequestration
by pondering_it_all - 10/23/21 07:28 AM
What % of humanity is batsh!t crazy?
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 02:49 AM
A Question of Culture
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 02:43 AM
3 word story game
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 01:26 AM
Where did this car thing start?
by jgw - 10/20/21 05:14 PM
Mountain Meadows Massacre
by Mellowicious - 10/20/21 02:41 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,599,062 my own book page
4,734,236 We shall overcome
3,780,394 Campaign 2016
3,458,588 Trump's Trumpet
2,727,777 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I like Husky Cherry tomatoes, globe shaped about 1 inch, it's a dwarf plant that doesn't require staking. Quite sweet and similar to what you mention. But southern and northern varieties might vary...I dunno. Tomatoes grow year round here.

TAT, my mom used to make the awfullest fried green tomatoes ever! But panko crusting makes them fabulous. Dip in flour, dip in beaten egg, coat with panko. I deep fry them but they can be fried in a skillet just as easily. For the air fryer you'd need to add some melted butter to the panko or it won't brown properly. Tomatoes need to be hard as rocks so the moisture content is low. Serve them with ranch dressing.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Online Content
Unfortunately I cant grow heirlooms here, as I have a terrible problem with Fusarium fungus that takes out anything but hybrids with Fusarium resistance. It can take out a 4x8 raised bed of basil in a day. I fight the fungus by trying to tilt the biome with supplements of filamentous bacteria actinomycetes that is commercially available, which helps, but Fusarium resistant basil and tomatoes are insurance.
I will give the fried tomatoes another try with the air fry method, and what sound like standard breading but with Panko.
We had a hot dry summer and the tomatoes were very sweet, and not quite acid enough for my taste. In season everything gets a slab or two of tomatoes. It sounds hippy dippy but I liberally dust the tomato slabs with dry flake nutritional yeast, that provides a hearty umami boost All takeout Chinese, Thai etc need a dash of MSG no that they have eliminated it due to bad science!
So take that, and soos UMAMI

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
veteran
veteran
I'm still getting some Romas, but they are pretty tasteless. I really love cherry tomatoes. They are all perfect and the flavor is great, but the ones I tried never sprouted. My neighbor gave me some extra Best Boy and Celebrity seedlings, but those are all done now. I guess I could grow some inside, or put together a little cheap greenhouse for winter growing.

Online Content
I love cherry tomatoes, red one yellow ones etc, but they are the only tomatoes that actually tried to kill me! While innocently gardening one fine day, weeding and nurturing the tomato plants, I quickly popped a delectable cherry into my mouth, but it went a little too far! Making the universal cant breathe sign with your hand to your throat is ineffective alone in the yard, even Siri couldn't save me. I fortunately keep one of my wide handled pitchforks handy for auto-self-heimlicking, that sounds kinda purrverse when I write it out! It only took two attempts, but my motivation increased after the first unsuckcessful attempt. Know the enemy that lurks in the garden!

TAT

sevil regit
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As it turns out, TAT, Husky Cherry tomatoes are resistant to fusarium and verticillium wilt. These diseases, although they present themselves in the leaves, are actually rootborn and the spoors are in the soil and actually effect the roots. If you compost diseased plants you are literally spreading the disease all over your garden.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Online Content
I carefully follow Loggy's composting guidelines, except for burying relatives in the garden. Having battled Fusarium for decades, I have read most of the literature on Fusarium and other nasty fungi, that are taking advantage of climate change very rapidly. You are absolutely right about diseased material in the garden or compost pile. I have black trash bag that get anything even questionable out of the garden.
Once established in the soil fungi are hard, read impossible to remove, though you can help the soil regain a balanced biome.
Rotating crops helps, but in a limited space of 7 4x8' raised beds your opportunities are limited, to not growing the same thing in the same place two years in a row.
One year I was so desperate, from dwindling basil frozen in olive oil, that I grew my basil hydroponically in 5 gallon white buckets in the driveway. attracting some neighbors attention as to what crop was growing! They pretty much watch my projects anyway!

I turn garden hygiene up to 11 in the fall cleanup and again with garden opening in spring. I dont use pesticides, insecticides, or fungicides, but I do use a scorched earth policy in fall and spring.
Using a big propane weed torch, also from harbor freight, after plants are gone in fall, I flamethrower the beds to remove or sterilize any remaining spores, weed seeds, superficial nematodes, etc and then add a couple of inches of shredded, by lawnmower, maple leaves, readily available! In spring I lightly turn in the composed leaves, or rake back those that are still mulch, and then give the beds another smoking hot treatment, that also take out any creeping weeds that have started growing all over. Rake lightly and let it sit a week or so until the new weed seeds have sprouted, and give them a more gentle flaming. It very satisfying and once again attract neighbors interest, as there is a bit of flame roar.
Its also the best thing ever for those violent weeds that set seed early, and explode them 20 ft in all directions when you touch or try to weed them. Torch them and they are instantly sterilized in place. Also helps with dandy lions in the lawn by nuking puffballs, and now in spring when my lawn is relatively low in dandy lions, the neighbors actually invite me over to their lawns with my lawn dragon.
Many here are trying to go with more diverse lawn without herbicides etc, and fire is ecologically a good solution, returning element to the soil!

sevil regit
veteran
veteran
I just read a story about a Muslim who was dismayed by the American funerary standards when he had to bury his dad. Their custom is "shroud sack in the dirt" so the body returns to the dust as quickly as possible. He was horrified by our requirements for elaborate coffins, concrete crypt liners, embalming, etc. They had to settle for pouring some dirt in Dad's coffin.

He would have loved Loggy's green burial service on the ranch. I've always thought "chain me to some concrete blocks, and dump me off the end of the pier" sounded good. Let the crabs recycle me. Or Yazidi-style: Put me on the roof and let the vultures do their thing.

Online Content

What could go worng?
Quote:
I was afraid of that! Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't!

sevil regit
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I've always thought "chain me to some concrete blocks, and dump me off the end of the pier" sounded good. Let the crabs recycle me.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Online Content
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I've always thought "chain me to some concrete blocks, and dump me off the end of the pier" sounded good. Let the crabs recycle me.

Out with a bang, not a nibble, Burial by Trebuchet the only way to go

This macabre scenario was a classic of Northern Exposure! It was Chris who built it, and originally planned on flinging a cow, but for humane reasons, flung and upright piano to the tune of Blue Danube, very moving.

The trebuchet was then repurposed for the Burial of his long frozen friend, after the ice had broken up. This touching and very moving scene was totally ruined by copyright infringement problems. as the original casket scene was launched to Procol Harum's greatest hit, A Whiter Shade of Pale, but is no longer available, I've looked! Substituting any other tune ruins the artistic tone completely!
Frankly AWSOP, as its refereed to by Procolites or Harumies was overplayed overshadowing some great classic works. I'm partial to Repent Walpurgis, A Christmas Camel, and the upbeat Something Following Me, and the catchy She Wandered Through the Garden Fence.

There have since many wannabe flingers like burning man, where they set the piano on fire before flinging. Nice flame trails though!

sevil regit
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 47 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics