Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Denialism
by NW Ponderer - 11/29/21 02:23 AM
Winning
by Greger - 11/29/21 01:58 AM
Boundaries for Facebook
by Jeffery J. Haas - 11/29/21 12:38 AM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pondering_it_all - 11/28/21 10:36 PM
Pacific Northwest Weather
by pdx rick - 11/28/21 08:59 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by logtroll - 11/28/21 01:25 PM
A Musical Quiz
by logtroll - 11/28/21 11:07 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by TatumAH - 11/28/21 06:19 AM
What's for dinner?
by TatumAH - 11/28/21 01:08 AM
Republicans promise brutal revenge in 2022
by pdx rick - 11/27/21 08:45 PM
masks and vaccinations
by logtroll - 11/27/21 01:36 PM
Vigilantism - why isn’t it illegal?
by logtroll - 11/25/21 11:46 PM
"Mom, I think it's a boy."
by TatumAH - 11/25/21 04:37 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 11/23/21 10:17 PM
You don't know beans! vs Killer Beans
by TatumAH - 11/23/21 08:37 PM
Moderna trying to ignore 1.5 billion dollar investment
by Jeffery J. Haas - 11/23/21 03:03 AM
The other side of shipping
by Mellowicious - 11/21/21 10:52 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,679,468 my own book page
4,778,021 We shall overcome
3,863,009 Campaign 2016
3,524,956 Trump's Trumpet
2,788,174 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#333612 04/08/21 05:37 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
There is a kindofa strange thing developing. The over 65 crowd has done a pretty good job getting their vaccines. Now, however, we have a new covid that seems to be only attacking kids from grade school to less than 40. This is, pretty much, the same group that has been responsible for a lot of the rises in infections and now Covid seems to have targeted that same group. Given that they have, from the getgo, as a group, fought like hell over masks and vaccines they just may be on the cusp of their rewards. I saw on the news, last night, that Seattle hospitals are starting to get overwhelmed with long haulers (they have now banned that title as infers its a real problem, which it is!) Most of those haulers presenting were younger who had a quick, painless, acquaintance, with covid and are now experiencing a no fun acquaintance and they were, pretty much, infected before the new version happened. Now I wonder what happens if covid really goes to work on the younger crowd to the point where there are not many of the younger crowd around anymore and we get a society based on the elderly.

Just a thought (and kinda mean spirited at that)

veteran
veteran
With the variants so far, it doesn't make most long haulers infertile. It just makes then feel like crap. If they spend a lot of time in bed, there may be no lack of pregnancies! It seems about half of long haulers feel much better a couple of weeks after they get vaccinated, suggesting some low-grade gut infection with virus hanging around. Some researchers have pointed out that corona viruses are all chronic bat gut infections. Maybe those bats don't feel very good, but how would you tell?

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I am gong by who is going to the hospital and who is not. Those who are vaccinated tend to do neither and the new variant is doing, for the most part, children. That being the case there are, now, going to be more seniors surviving than children. I haven't given much thought to fertility. I do know that the United States, right now, has a rate of fertility that cannot provide enough folks to support what we have and we need many of those trying to get in.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's still only a handful of deaths among the young and healthy and those folks will be getting vaccinated soon...don't get your hopes up that all the milenials are going to die and leave you in peace.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I am hoping that they are going to get an education which means they will start with masks and common sense instead of their current behavior which is not good for all of us and, now, especially not them. There are also other problems that have come up. I have had both my covid shots (in February). At one point I thought that should be it. Now, however, it seems that something like 175 folks who have had their shots have now been re-infected. I am not sure, exactly, what that means, other than these vaccinations are not exact just like the flu vaccines and all the others we are used to. This one behaves differently. I expect that, eventually, gov is going to make some announcements about this one.

veteran
veteran
Don't forget, the best Covid vaccines are 95% effective. That leave 5% who do still get symptoms of reinfection. Most vaccines do NOT prevent reinfection. They just make your immune system well prepared in case you do get infected. I suspect people get reinfected all the time, but have no symptoms because their immune system wipes out the virus quickly. If you are vaccinated, it behooves you to make sure you are never exposed to such a high viral load you get symptoms. We can do that by following all the sensible public health guidelines we have known for the last year.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I was exposed and told to goto the hospital and get tested. I went to the hospital and they said for me to come back in five days. Its strange. The same thing happened to a friend of mine but he was told, by his doctor, not to worry as he had his shots over a month ago. I will go back in on Monday. I have been wanting to get a test just to see if my vaccination took. Now I will find out, one way or another.

veteran
veteran
Probably not. I doubt they will test you for antibodies. That would say if your vaccine worked.
You might get an antigen test to see if you have an active infection. But probably not if you have no symptoms.

I would just quarantine so you can't infect anybody else. Everybody you live with should quarantine as well. The normal course of Covid-19 is:

Day 0: Exposure.
Day 3: Virus level gets high enough to be detected by PCR.
Day 4: Virus level gets high enough to be detected by antigen testing. You become contagious.
Day 5: Symptoms may develop.
Day 9: Virus level drops so you are no longer contagious. Antigen tests go negative.
Day 15 (or longer): PCR tests go negative, because they show positive for dead virus fragments.

So you can see from the timeline, quarantine is indicated from 3 days after exposure until 9 days after exposure.
Of course, some cases can take longer to progress.

J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Well, tomorrow I go in for the test. I will ask for antibody test as well. Probably won't get it but I can try. As far as quarantine is concerned I won't be changing from how I live which is one big quarantine for a long time (I am not real social). I have no symptoms. When I saw the friend who was infected I was wearing a mask and was at least 6 feet away. Both my wife and myself have had our shots and that was over a month ago. Neither of us have any signs. I am not real concerned.

I'll see how it works out tomorrow and then I will await the results with interest.

I'll tell you a little story. I live directly across from the community swimming pool. I can look down on them and see what is going on anytime I want. The swimming pool is a busy place and they have rules, etc. Some of them are along the stay separated/don't bunch up/etc. The fact is that they bunch up all the time, the kids play with each other and are also close. When the swim team is there they bunch up and get talked to. Basically, one would think that the swimming pool is a real center for infectious behavior. Neither my wife nor myself go to the pool, goto restaurants or bars - don't want any covid problems. However, all of that being said, as far as I can tell there has not been a single instance where anybody has been infected by going to the swimming pool. Oh, I should also mention that the pool does not smell of chemicals, including chlorine which one can't even smell (the rebuilt all of that, and the pool, just last year). Anyway, I have asked the county health folks how that can be and they had no answer, other than to say that, as far as they knew, there has been no problem with Covid and the pool. Somebody told me that the air, in the swimming pool kills all stuff covid (I have no idea what that is based on. I asked but got no answer/

veteran
veteran
As long as nobody in the contagious period ever shows up at the pool, then everybody is safe. I suppose they could be using ozone for sanitization, and that is better at sterilizing the water. But all the water in the pool acts like really good ventilation by diluting any virus that gets in the water. I suspect somebody infectious could swim and then the water would be perfectly safe. If they have good ventilation above the pool, that makes it about 20 times safer than a small room with poor ventilation.

Fresh air is why outdoor dining is WAY safer than indoors.

Last edited by pondering_it_all; 04/11/21 11:48 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (NW Ponderer), 39 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,251
Posts312,813
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017