Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Hyperinflation, debt, and the survival of nations
by pondering_it_all - 05/18/21 03:17 AM
Roundtable for Spring 2021
by pondering_it_all - 05/18/21 02:58 AM
Vaccines, over 65, youth
by pondering_it_all - 05/18/21 02:50 AM
Social Media
by perotista - 05/17/21 08:26 PM
Arizona Audit/Recount 2020 election
by rporter314 - 05/17/21 05:45 PM
Who is responsible?
by jgw - 05/13/21 06:38 PM
infrastructure report card
by jgw - 05/13/21 05:59 PM
Does "Conservatism" have viability anymore?
by jgw - 05/12/21 06:18 PM
America First Legal
by TatumAH - 05/11/21 01:43 PM
3 word story game
by TatumAH - 05/11/21 04:31 AM
2022 It's not too early...
by perotista - 05/08/21 08:10 PM
Wokeness
by jgw - 05/05/21 06:29 PM
ReaderRant is backonline and will not shut down again
by pondering_it_all - 05/04/21 09:41 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,123,035 my own book page
4,387,318 We shall overcome
3,302,322 Campaign 2016
3,075,404 Trump's Trumpet
2,400,249 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
The have great ventilation. The life guards all wear masks but them that swim, or play in the water, don't. I asked the county health folk and they said it might have something to do with how the water is treated but didn't really know. They did know that no infections have been reported.

Another mystery, I guess..........

veteran
veteran
It could well be that people with even a mostly asymptomatic infection just don't feel like swimming. Port Angeles is rather like being on an island, so cases may be rarer than in Seattle.

God sent Trump.......because God was out of locusts.
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I got my vaccines a couple of month ago (moderna). I have often wondered if it took. The only way to tell that is to get a test that will tell you if you have got the anti-bodies. I have been asking around but nobody really knows where to go to get an antibody test. My thought was to get the test to see if it took. I am not even sure my thinking is right on this one. Say Moderna vaccine is 90% effective. If you get a test, after you have been vaccinated and time has passed, and there are no antibodies that would mean that I would have been in the 10% were it didn't take. That being the case does that mean I need to get another test?

Its odd, everybody says the vaccines work in 90% to 98%. So, if everybody got tested, and found that their vaccine didn't work it would seem to me that the right thing to do would be to get another vaccine shot?

If I am right then why does nobody seems to even want to be tested and getting another shot to make sure you are taken care of just doesn't seem to be possible anyway?

veteran
veteran
Because that's not how it works. The vaccine makes antibodies and primes your T-cells to expect the viral antigen, both. Even if you had some weird response and failed to make antibodies, your T-cells would protect you. The T-cells are part of the immediate response to infection. It takes a while to make antibodies, so some people got over the infection before they made antibodies. In that case, antibody production can stop. But the vaccinations cause a much better immune response than mild infections.

Unless you have some condition that wipes out your immune system, or are taking immunosuppressives to wipe it out, you will respond. People who get infections after vaccination do not have no or poor response. They have a high viral load at the exposure. It takes a while to kill off all the virus, and then their immune system over-responds to dead virus fragments. The more virus you have to begin with, the more virus fragments are left floating around, and the worse symptoms. The immune system response takes a certain amount of time, so starting with a billion viruses leaves a lot more fragments than starting with a thousand.

That's one reason why mask wearing in public is so useful, even with a less than perfect mask: Lower viral load.

J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Thank you. Up here they are reporting the number of those who have got the vaccine are getting infected. There is somewhere around 500 and some who have had that happen. All they say is that those are people who were infected because coverage is something between 90% and 98% and those are the losers. Nothing more, nothing less. They are, basically I think, lazy when it comes to explaining stuff. Betcha you could get a job if you wanted it! <G>

J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
You got it right about Port Angeles, it really is kinda like an island. Many move here because its fairly nice nice, especially if you like being in the woods. Then they want to go someplace and realize just how isolated we actually are (that always gives me some amusement). We have two roads out. The one that goes west gets us to the ocean and the other to Tacoma/Seattle. However, when you want to go to Seattle its a something like a 3+ hour drive. In a straight line we are about 85 miles from Seattle. We used to be able to take a ferry to Victoria as we are only about 18 miles from Victoria across the water but that has been shut down, now, for over a year.

veteran
veteran
My wife and I spent a vacation a couple of decades ago in the area. We drove both of those roads all the way around the peninsula, hiked in the park, and even went to a story-telling festival in Port Angeles we happened to notice. Then we took the ferry to Victoria. Went to hike Mt. Rainier and spent some time in Seattle. Beautiful place. That's the kind of vacation I love: Just wander around with no fixed schedule or itinerary, and get a feel for the place.

J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
A good thing! We survive from visitors. We used to have something like 8 mills - now we have two. Its odd, our unemployment is always around 6% and that is what we have now too. There are help wanted signs all over town as well. I am told that everybody is getting 600 a week for doing nothing. No idea if that's right or not but there is something stopping people from working. There is a place close to me that has been advertising for a driver for over 2 months and nobody is even stopping to ask.

Anyway, it seems that real estate sales are going gangbusters as I kinda watch that one and most sales are higher than the asking price. Another oddity is that I have been assured that our population remains the same and there doesn't seem to be any construction going on (housing).

Oh, this might need a new topic but: https://reason.com/2021/04/04/beyond-covid/

Last edited by jgw; 04/16/21 06:11 PM.
veteran
veteran
Back on topic: It was announced recently that despite vaccine-generated antibodies having lower efficacy against some virus variants, vaccine-generated T-cell response has activity against up to 52 different locations on the SARS-COV2 virus. This is why almost nobody vaccinated gets seriously ill from new strains. Antibody response is immediate, but T and B-cells take a bit longer to wipe out the virus, and even longer to make new antibodies. They may be able to kill the virus without even getting to the antibody production phase. But if they did, those antibodies would be tuned to the variant causing the infection.

This is really good news, and bodes well for being able to end the pandemic. Of course, there are about 100 million susceptible people in the US, and about a billion in India, so the usual caution is needed. I heard that ultra-conservative virus-hoaxer Ted Nugent got it, and got it bad. Let's see if he gets long Covid. I guess he didn't have a helicopter to fly him to Walter Reed for an infusion of the latest Monoclonal Antibody cocktail.

J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I watched a couple of things on India yesterday. If they keep it up there are going to be a LOT fewer Indians! They showed Indians at religious outings, thousands of them, no masks and close together working hard, it seems, to die. There is a class of righteous right which are doing their level best to get to the Indian state of death if they had their way and, apparently, this includes themselves.

In both cases they have leaders that are simply not up to fixing the problem are are relying, perhaps, on 'special' knowledge which seems to come from "on high" one way or another. I also watched a couple of evangelical preachers who hate the vaccines and believe prayer will fix it all. Now if somebody could figure out a way to guard the rest of us from their 'spiritual', and liberty driven non-science alternative reality we could just write them off as unsavable and get on with our lives.

All that being said there is now something called a "Vaccine Passport". This, I suspect, will separate science believers from alternate reality folks. I think what will eventually happen is that Bars, and Restaurants and all the rest of places where groups go will restrict them that are welcome to them who have all their vaccines and alternate reality jerks will not be welcome. I also suspect that any bar or restaurant, etc. to which new infections can be traced will be shut down. That being the case such places will really like the Vaccine Passports as it will protect them and keep them open.

They are fighting like hell for the right to infect others but they will lose. When that starts to happen a lot of the alternate reality folks will give in just so they can get into a bar if nothing else. Its Really pretty simple. Create a passport that is official and says that you have been vaccinated and you are free from the virus (negative).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 45 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby, Superfly
6,296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,147
Posts308,094