Social Media
by perotista - 05/13/21 06:57 PM
Who is responsible?
by jgw - 05/13/21 06:38 PM
infrastructure report card
by jgw - 05/13/21 05:59 PM
Arizona Audit/Recount 2020 election
by rporter314 - 05/13/21 05:33 PM
Does "Conservatism" have viability anymore?
by jgw - 05/12/21 06:18 PM
Vaccines, over 65, youth
by pondering_it_all - 05/12/21 06:30 AM
America First Legal
by TatumAH - 05/11/21 01:43 PM
3 word story game
by TatumAH - 05/11/21 04:31 AM
Roundtable for Spring 2021
by logtroll - 05/09/21 11:26 AM
2022 It's not too early...
by perotista - 05/08/21 08:10 PM
Wokeness
by jgw - 05/05/21 06:29 PM
ReaderRant is backonline and will not shut down again
by pondering_it_all - 05/04/21 09:41 PM
Police Problems fixed
by jgw - 05/02/21 07:11 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,107,397 my own book page
4,376,862 We shall overcome
3,289,330 Campaign 2016
3,065,143 Trump's Trumpet
2,381,485 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#333880 04/23/21 05:12 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I keep watching folks with solutions for police. One that is getting a lot of play is turning some cops into "psychological cops". As far as I can tell the plan will be to turn some of the cops into shrinks as well. I am not against that one although I suspect they will try and hire shrinks to be cops. There are a number of problems with all of this. State legislators, for instance, have been reducing resources for the mentally ill for years. The main asylum in Washington state, for instance, has been shut down, by the feds, because of sheer incompetence which is not surprising as those hired were getting paid approximately the minimum wage. Anyway, the general solution has been for cops to arrest the insane and then the courts sending them to prison. Them that run the prisons have a solution - they simply put them into a small room, give them a meal a day, an hour out (by themselves) of their hole in the wall. Its unlikely this cures any mental illness and, when they get out they are, probably, going to go right back in, thereby supporting jobs for them that work in prisons. Basically we not only do not take care of our mentally ill we pay people to make sure we got lots of mentally ill.

I am not against cops that shrink and can talk to them with problems, etc. My problem, in this instance, is that we really don't have many places to send the mentally ill that can help them. This is because the state legislatures have, pretty much, done away with that kind of stuff. This is, incidentally, a standard for legislatures. Given enough time they would get rid of any and all social necessities so they have more money to spend on the important things (which also, incidentally, doesn't include higher education as well).

I suspect that what we really need is a commission to examine the direction our country is headed, why, how and who. It might be interesting. I also understand that is just not going to happen (hell, we can't even setup a commission to examine the functionality of our bureaucracies). Them that rule, I think, have lost their way and I have no idea what the results, over time, are going to be. I tend to be on the side that we are headed for a very bad time before we realize what the hell is happening. On the other hand we seem to be going in a lot of different directions, all at the same time.

I continue, however, to wish us all good luck.

jgw #333883 04/23/21 11:28 PM
veteran
veteran
Actually, if police just did their best to recognize situations in which somebody has had a mental break, and tried non-lethal means to subdue them it would go a long way to defusing the "defund the police" movement. If that person has a lethal weapon and is threatening anybody, then police do need to act. Nobody's going to get upset about that. The other big obstacle for police support is confiscation of anything they can steal. That HAS to stop. It makes them just another gang with superior weapons and organization.

God sent Trump.......because God was out of locusts.
jgw #333894 04/24/21 05:11 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
You are right except that many police have been taught to deal the same way with everybody. That, apparently does not mean to defuse the situation and, apparently, also doesn't include folks of color. Its odd in that all superiors, that speak on tv, ALWAYS say that their officers are trained to ALWAYS defuse any situation they can. Then we find out that their police union also puts up training tapes which teach a couple interesting things. The first is that if you are dealing with anybody not wearing the same uniform you are dealing with an enemy and they should be treated that way. The other thing that all police are told is that if they pull their gun and shoot they must shoot to kill as that is the only way they can secure their own safety (I remember that one from over 50 years ago and I have been told its not changed). I suspect they are still teaching these two "truths". I am not aware of confiscation of stuff but that probably happens too.

I do know that Camden, NJ, in theory, replaced their police department with a countywide police department and they now seem to be happy with the result but that is after at least 7 years of ongoing police department fixing and, apparently, they now have a pretty good system. The first thing they did, incidentally, was to get rid of the so-called police union (there are questions as to police unions in general as they seem to be a bit more than that). They now have a police department that can deal with the mentally ill, no longer have a police union, and their police do community policing as well (cops actually walking the streets and, apparently, they are doing this for about half the price they used to pay. Everybody like to point to Camden, NJ as the way to go. People who live there say that would be a mistake and they need to do a lot more planning before making that move!

I think getting rid of the Police Union, and any thought that police have a right to break the law to support the law are two things that must be fixed. They also have to setup systems to deal with the mentally ill from the getgo and police also have to get out of their cars and patrol the streets as well. I don't know if any of this stuff takes care of the racism that is, obviously, a serious problem. This, I think, comes under the heading of training. I also know that police department, nationwide, are losing police like crazy and nobody is real interested in joining up. Right now it seems that police all have a target on their backs. When you consider it all I fear that just de-funding and rebuilding a police department is not all that easy and, again, it takes a LOT of planning! Camden, NJ is not, apparently, the only department to do that. There are also a lot of cities considering this solution but, I suspect, there is really not all that much information about just how one goes about that.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 48 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby, Superfly
6,296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,146
Posts308,044
Members6,296