Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#334088 05/08/21 09:18 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Almost every day there is a story about Social Media. Usually its something about how evil it is, how uncontrolled it is, how it is unregulated, etc. It just goes on and on. I remember when Zuckerburg was saying that a solution might be that Gov step in and regulate them. I am also infavor of that. If there was ever a place that needed regulation its Social Media. Its really strange. Everybody seems to use Social Media, everybody is also very upset with Social Media. It just continues to go, on and on and on and on.

Its pretty interesting. There are two sides to regulation. One side wants no regulation. That side believes that if somebody does something that is not right then they should be pillaried and otherwise damaged one way or another. Then the plan is to hold them up as an example to serve as a warning to others of that ilk. A good example of that one is an old person, starving and begging on the street. They wouldn't be there had they made better choices when they were young would be the what they 'real' conservive would say (I have a friend would has actually said this as an excellent example of how others should behave.

The other side (the lefties) believe that regulation is a good thing and necessary for order. In the example above that old person would serve as an example of a problem and it would be up to both sides to decide how to deal with it. Its really pretty simple. Both sides get together, agree there is a problem and then try to work out a solution which both sides would agree on. This would not only solve the problem but the fact that both sides had input would also mean that the solution would not be an extreme problem solved by only one side.

The real problem with the stuff above is that BOTH sides tend towards extreme solutions. The problem thing is also at risk in that one side could say there was no problem at all. Anyway, this is, in theory how its supposed to work. The current 'problem' is that the sides are no longer really talking (with exceptions). In the case of Social Media, however, both sides would agree there is a problem. That being said the fact that everybody uses Social Media means that even sitting down and discussing the problems would probably be a waste of time. The problem with this one is that its a BIG problem wherein nobody has actually gotten past the description of the problem itself! EVERYBODY has a problem with Social Media but, I think, nobody has defined the problem they both know exists.

So, we are in a state where neither side can agree on a definition of the problem let alone the solution.

Just thought I would send this out to see if anybody is even in vague agreement. Its kinda interesting, I wrote this previously and then forgot (I think) to post it. If suddenly there are two of these I have no answer as I couldn't find the first one.

There is also the oversightboard.com which is also kinda interesting but non-problem solving but tries. They, basically, also want to see rules/regulation.

jgw #334092 05/09/21 12:50 AM
veteran
veteran
More like the Republican solution for poor elderly folks is to toss them in the wood chipper. The Democratic solution is Social Security. Should they compromise? Just chip those old folks up to the waist? Or in real life, cut their benefits to the point they can have food or prescriptions, but not both?

Compromise on some issues is not viable.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
You are right. Many conservatives believe that Social Security has removed the right of individuals to make their own decisions on retirement. They believe that those that are broke, when retired, didn't save enough whilst they were working. They do not, however, take into consideration that here are many who never had enough to set aside anything. Any Democrats, that join up with the other side on this one should not be a Democrat! That is, incidentally, one of the problems with the Democrats. They simply cannot insist on some kind of basic behavior on the part of their members, especially those who blessed the Dems with the "Defund the Police" thing. Their utterances cost the Democrats votes!

jgw #334121 05/11/21 04:16 AM
veteran
veteran
I think the biggest drag on the Democrats right now is Manchin and Senema. Mitch has already said he's going to oppose everything. If he succeeds, then the Biden administration won't have much to brag about and will probably lose at least the Senate if not both houses in 2022 because of all the states' voter suppression laws. If he can get the new voting rights bill passed, he can keep control.

"Defund the police" was all about the 2020 election. "Modify the filibuster" is the most important factor now.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
jgw #334124 05/11/21 12:13 PM
I've heard a lot of complains from democrats and some loud enough that on another site suggesting that Manchin and Sinema ought to to join the Republican Party. That makes no sense to me as if they did, it would be the GOP in control of the senate 52-48. Certain then Biden wouldn't be able to accomplish a single thing. Also over looked is Manchin votes the Democratic party line 80% of the time, Sinema 74%.

That's not high enough for a lot of Democrats, but replacing them with a Republican who would vote the democratic party line only 10% of the time if that, also giving the GOP control of the senate seems to me to be absurd.

I did a paper on how ending or doing away would hurt the Democrats more in the long term than be worth any short term political gain. I've been debating whether or not to post it here. It is much like the first use of and the precedence setting use of the nuclear option. A big benefit short term for the Democrats, but a long term hurt being that we now have Kavanaugh and Barrett on the SCOTUS that wouldn't be there if not for the nuclear option first being used by Reid and company. It still would have required 60 votes for cloture.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
perotista #334132 05/11/21 06:41 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Biden is dealing with razor thin margins. I am kinda amazed so far. The senate has, so far, passed 12 pieces of actual legislation under Biden (who signed them all into law). Here is a link to that:
https://www.congress.gov/search?q=%7B%22source%22%3A%22legislation%22%2C%22bill-status%22%3A%22president%22%2C%22congress%22%3A117%7D

I think that is better than Obama did against Mitch (you can control the link above to show you that). We also know that Biden has to go-ahead to have at least 2 more 'relief' bill to he tune of 4 TRILLION dollars which means more money in the pot to spend as well. In other words it may be possible for Biden to buy 2022. That is particularly true with the Republicans working, very hard publicly, to fall apart.

Biden's main problem is paying for anything. I don't think he is going to be able to get any legislation through for that but I didn't think Mitch would let anything through and Biden got 12 through and, apparently thinks he can get more.

In the fullness of time......................

perotista #334134 05/12/21 06:40 AM
veteran
veteran
Actually, there is no Republican Party anymore. There is The Trump Party, a few non-Trumper Republicans, and the Democrats. If the Trump Party ejects Cheney, maybe she'd like to caucus with the Democrats? Maybe Mitt Romney and Lisa Murkowski would like to join her? They would be welcomed!

Most in the Trump Party think their only path to reelection is to remain on the USS Trumptanic as it sinks into the chilly North Atlantic. But some old-school Republicans are not that stupid. They might want to be on the winning side.

jgw #334139 05/12/21 12:14 PM
I think you're misreading the situation. These Republicans fed up with Trump and most of the party following him, aren't about to become Democrats. You can look at the party affiliation numbers since last Nov 2020. 30% identified as republicans then, today it's 26%. They went into the independent column, they haven't become Democrats as the Democrats still have the 31% today as they did last November.

Murkowski, Romney, Cheney and whoever aren't about to caucus with the Democrats. I'd say they're more or less traditional conservatives who refuse to follow a man with no political ideology or philosophy. A traditional conservative isn't about to join the democratic party. They want to fight for their political ideals and beliefs, which Trump doesn't represent and never has. But neither does the democratic party.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
jgw #334146 05/12/21 06:07 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
They are now saying that over 100 Republicans want to create a NEW Republican party (I have no idea what they would call it). I also have no idea how they would vote although they did vote the Trump line before. Cheney, for instance, was one of Trump's biggest supporters, when voting, before her fall from Grace and I doubt that is going to change. In other words she likes what they are doing but refuses to lie. Its a VERY strange world! Anyway, I think Biden is still going to have one hell of a time paying for anything.

All that being said the amounts of money Biden is throwing around has now started talk of inflation. I suspect the free money is about gone and money is going to cost. The really interesting thing will be how much the national debt goes up. We are already paying a lot even though the interest is very low. That is going to change bigtime. When that happens its gonna get REALLY interesting!

Anyway, the Republicans, I think, will continue to vote just the way they have been voting and its not gonna change. Biden, I suspect, is going to have a really unfortunate 2022 unless he can work miracles.

jgw #334150 05/12/21 11:29 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by jgw
All that being said the amounts of money Biden is throwing around has now started talk of inflation. I suspect the free money is about gone and money is going to cost. The really interesting thing will be how much the national debt goes up. We are already paying a lot even though the interest is very low. That is going to change bigtime. When that happens its gonna get REALLY interesting!
Now there's some old fashioned thinking!

One big reason the debt is going up is because we haven't been paying for it for decades! Why start now?

Money is nothing but agreements. One way or another, debts are paid, or discharged, by agreements. Sometimes those agreements are not all that agreeable, if they include dismemberment or death or incarceration, but the debts they do get settled. Usually, the biggest bully gets the most...

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 41 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,191
Posts310,138
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017