Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Gerrymandering
by pdx rick - 09/27/21 12:00 AM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by logtroll - 09/26/21 11:58 PM
Critters, animal/vegetable, and their place
by olyve - 09/26/21 11:03 PM
Vaccine Refusers Don’t Get to Dictate Terms Anymore
by pondering_it_all - 09/26/21 10:22 PM
Winning
by pdx rick - 09/26/21 10:04 PM
A Musical Quiz
by olyve - 09/26/21 06:58 PM
Did I hear that right?
by Mellowicious - 09/26/21 05:34 PM
What % of humanity is batsh!t crazy?
by perotista - 09/26/21 12:28 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all - 09/25/21 09:47 PM
Summertime Roundtable
by pondering_it_all - 09/24/21 10:42 PM
New Texas law
by Greger - 09/22/21 10:12 PM
Afghanistan
by pdx rick - 09/20/21 07:59 PM
25,000 Employees sue Disneyland for better pay
by Greger - 09/20/21 04:46 PM
Masks, after vaxx, after delta
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:54 PM
The Lawlessness is the Point
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:32 PM
CRISIS ALERT!!
by logtroll - 09/13/21 01:10 PM
How did Common Sense Die?
by logtroll - 09/13/21 12:45 PM
World Travel via GeoGuessr
by pdx rick - 09/12/21 09:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,522,893 my own book page
4,687,046 We shall overcome
3,707,355 Campaign 2016
3,399,358 Trump's Trumpet
2,676,690 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Source: Raw Story.com

More than 100 Republicans, including some former elected officials, are preparing to release a letter this week threatening to form a third party if the Republican Party does not make certain changes, according to an organizer of the effort.

The statement is expected to take aim at former President Donald J. Trump’s stranglehold on Republicans, which signatories to the document have deemed unconscionable.

“When in our democratic republic, forces of conspiracy, division, and despotism arise, it is the patriotic duty of citizens to act collectively in defense of liberty and justice,” reads the preamble to the full statement, which is expected to be released on Thursday.

The effort comes as House Republican leaders are expected on Wednesday to oust Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming from their ranks because of her outspoken criticism of Mr. Trump’s election lies.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
We decents can add another feather to incompetent Trump's cap: The demise of the GQP.

smile

I seen this this AM. I'm not surprised. Trump doesn't stand for anything but himself. The 7 time party switcher has in the past adopted whatever political philosophy of the party he belonged to at the time.

The GOP has huge problems, or should I say one major problem, Trump. These folks threatening to form a third party are Traditional Conservatives who want a party that stand for those values. Trump doesn't and never had a political philosophy or ideology.

How all of this will work out, who knows? I suspected something like this. It's been in the works for a few years now. Actually, I think this movement if one wants to call it that began during the primaries of 2016 or right after. Strange as it might seem, you had Republicans who wanted Clinton to beat Trump so they would be free of him. But they couldn't bring themselves to vote for Hillary. But many did vote for Biden who would never cast a vote for Hillary.

water under the bridge. This will be interesting.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
The GOP has huge problems, or should I say one major problem, Trump..
It's more than just Trump. It's the lying. It's the alternative facts. It's the voter suppression. It's the working against the lower and middle-class Americans. I look forward to the break-up of the GQP.

I've seen this before, where folks think one or the other party demise is immanent. After the Goldwater debacle in 1964, it was being said it would take 20 years for the Republican Party to become a viable party again. LBJ just won with a bit over 61% of the vote, the Democrats had a 295-140 edge in the house and a 68-32 advantage in the senate. Yet two years later the GOP picked up 47 house seats and won the presidency in 1968. So much for 20 years of irrelevancy.

The same was being said after Watergate in 1974, The Democrats had a 291-143 advantage in the house, Carter won the presidency. Yet four years later, Reagan was president, The Republicans took control of the senate and the Democrats advantage in the house dropped to 242-192.

Then came the Republican lock on the presidency with many books written about that during Reagan. Then Bill Clinton won in 1992, the GOP lock didn't last long.

My point is people are always talking about the demise of one or the other political party. But somehow they always bounce back and it doesn't take as long as most pundits or people think. What we're seeing here is Trump inspired. We're not seeing Republican becoming Democrats. They're not. It's nothing more than a battle within the GOP. You may have a lot of Republicans anti-Trumpers, but they're still basically loyal Republicans. They may move into the independent ranks, but will continue to vote Republican. They become Republican leaning independents.

As 2020 showed, some will vote Democratic as they did for Biden over Trump. But they voted Republican down ballot and not for any other Democrat than Biden. I don't know how long this disunity within the Republican ranks will last. The longer it lasts, the better for the Democrats. Can or will Republican pro Trumpers and Republican anti Trumpers unite for 2022? I don't know.

I'll tell you this, there is a lot of hard feeling against pro Trump Republicans down here in Georgia as they blame the Trumpers for the loss of Georgia's two senate seats.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
...After the Goldwater debacle in 1964....
I wasn't even born. laugh While the more things change, the more they stay the same is mostly true, I think things are different this time, because nothing is normal with Trump. Hmm

veteran
veteran
people are always talking about the demise of one or the other political party
I agree. There is no demise of a party .... the party has changed directions.

The party of Lincoln became the party of the Southern Strategy just as the party of the KKK became the party of working class heroes, people of color, and other oddballs.

Any reasonably objective person recognized who and what constituted the base of the Republican Party for the past 30-40 years, which all the elected leaders denied vehemently, but for which Mr Trump made public. These folks are not going away. They are crazies in search of an asylum.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
What I found out about Trump is that you can throw historical and conventional wisdom out the window. At least that applied in 2016. I've come to conclusion 2016 was an anomaly. 2018 and again 2020, election wise, historical and conventional wisdom were back in vogue. Perhaps in 2016, it was due to having the two most disliked and unwanted to become the next president candidates by America as a whole in our history or since Gallup and Pew Research started keeping track of these thing back in 1956.

What I seen different so far is back when Romney, McCain, Dole, G.H.W Bush, Ford lost, the Republicans moved on past them, went looking for a new face with new ideas. Not this time, they have refused to move on. So perhaps historical and conventional wisdom are once again being thrown out the window when it comes to Trump.

veteran
veteran
That actually started back when they lost to Obama: They had a big workshop that issued a report saying they needed to make the Party more inclusive to attract Hispanics, Blacks, and Asians. Pretty much every Party leader ignore it.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
I remember that. It all was thrown out the window when Trump arrived. But the strange thing is Trump received more Hispanic votes, 32% than any Republican since G.W. Bush in 2004. Trump's 12% of the black vote was more than any other Republican since Ford received 16% in 1976. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.

The thing is it seems Hispanics in the border state accounted for most of Trump's increase in the Hispanic vote. 37% of Hispanics in Arizona voted for Trump, 41% in Texas and 40% in New Mexico while Trump averaged 32% nationwide. States far away from the border like New York, Trump gained only 22% of the Hispanic vote. Go figure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 41 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,196
Posts310,272
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017