Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Denialism
by chunkstyle - 11/29/21 12:25 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by NW Ponderer - 11/29/21 10:53 AM
Winning
by pdx rick - 11/29/21 03:22 AM
Boundaries for Facebook
by Jeffery J. Haas - 11/29/21 12:38 AM
Pacific Northwest Weather
by pdx rick - 11/28/21 08:59 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by logtroll - 11/28/21 01:25 PM
A Musical Quiz
by logtroll - 11/28/21 11:07 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by TatumAH - 11/28/21 06:19 AM
What's for dinner?
by TatumAH - 11/28/21 01:08 AM
Republicans promise brutal revenge in 2022
by pdx rick - 11/27/21 08:45 PM
masks and vaccinations
by logtroll - 11/27/21 01:36 PM
Vigilantism - why isn’t it illegal?
by logtroll - 11/25/21 11:46 PM
"Mom, I think it's a boy."
by TatumAH - 11/25/21 04:37 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 11/23/21 10:17 PM
You don't know beans! vs Killer Beans
by TatumAH - 11/23/21 08:37 PM
Moderna trying to ignore 1.5 billion dollar investment
by Jeffery J. Haas - 11/23/21 03:03 AM
The other side of shipping
by Mellowicious - 11/21/21 10:52 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,679,977 my own book page
4,778,393 We shall overcome
3,863,646 Campaign 2016
3,525,452 Trump's Trumpet
2,788,864 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
jgw #334200 05/17/21 01:00 AM
veteran
veteran
The usual story: When Republicans want to create more public debt by giving tax cuts to rich people, they say debt doesn't matter. When Democrats want to create more public debt by investing in infrastructure and education, suddenly everybody (including some Democrats) jumps on the Republican concern trolling train about too much debt. There is a big difference between bad debt (looting the treasury for your cronies), and good debt (buying stuff we actually need that has a high ROI.)

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
jgw #334210 05/17/21 07:41 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I think Biden is going to spend the rest of the year fighting to get what he wants. Next year comes the mid election. If the Dems pay attention, Don't do anything dumb to scare independents they have a chance, due to Republican confusions and fighting, to not only not lose but to win seats. They just gotta pay attention, make their fights private and the stay calm.

I am, incidentally, a very experienced wishful thinker........

jgw #334212 05/17/21 08:26 PM
I think your thinking is pretty much right on. It's something I've been saying for eons it seems.

Right now, Georgia seems to be only seat held by the Democrats that is in jeopardy. While the Republicans have three, two due to retirements, Pennsylvania and North Carolina along with Wisconsin where Johnson isn't liked much. The rest seems at this point, to be safe for which ever party who currently holds them. This translate into a 1-2 seat net gain for the democrats in the senate.

The house, who the heck knows. No district lines have been drawn yet. For the party that holds a trifecta, there are some tricks to drawing those lines. Placing two incumbents in the same district if the incumbents aren't of the trifecta's party is one use a lot. Open seats are much more easier to switch or win. Packing minorities into court ordered majority minority districts is another. there's other tricks of the trade.

Independents don't like either party's congressional critters, but they do like Biden. At least so far. But Biden may still be benefiting from not being Trump and behaving presidential and like an adult. with independents.

Cracks are there though, inflation, illegal immigration, foreign policy to name but three. Biden is also benefiting from COVID-19 response. This advantage may wane among independents as COVID begins to go away.

Foreign Policy - Biden has dropped from a high of 56% down to 49%
Immigration - Biden has dropped from 52% down to 39%
Economy - Biden has remained steady here at 53%. inflation hasn't hurt him yet.

Biden's overall job approval, from 56% down to 54%. still very good. Hence the word cracks.

I think the senate will remain in Democratic hands. the House ?????????????????

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
jgw #334221 05/18/21 05:12 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Apparently we no longer have just Reparations for Blacks but, now, there is a movement to give all national parks to the Indians. I can guarantee you if the Democrats start to preach both of these 2021 is not exactly going to be a good year for the Dems.

jgw #334240 05/19/21 09:07 PM
I've not heard a thing about national parks. But reparations, yes.

"According to Reuters/Ipsos polls this month, only one in five respondents agreed the United States should use “taxpayer money to pay damages to descendants of enslaved people in the United States.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ions-reuters-ipsos-polling-idUSKBN23W1NG

Reparations isn't a hot issue, it doesn't make the top 20 list. Which isn't to say that it won't. If it does, it would be a political loser for the democrats. The same can be said about national parks.

It's interesting that both Schumer and Pelosi have come out and admitted Defund the police really hurt them in the house and senate elections in November 2020. It's should be as plain as the nose on their face. 18% of all Americans supported Defund the police, 46% supported redirecting police funds to other social services, while 53% said the police need to be reformed.

This goes back to words have meanings and most Americans will take the words said as meaning what they say. Defund means do away with funds, Basically doing away with the police all together.

Yeah, I agree that the democrats trying to push legislation through congress on reparations or turning over the national parks to the indians would kill any chances of retaining control of congress. Tell me they ain't that dumb. There are times I really, really believe the Democrats live in a political fantasy world of their own and not in today's world of political reality.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
perotista #334241 05/19/21 10:43 PM
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by perotista
There are times I really, really believe the Democrats live in a political fantasy world of their own and not in today's world of political reality.
Can you define "the Democrats" for me?

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
jgw #334242 05/19/21 11:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Every time someone protests and demands something. Or puts out a petition endorsing something it always winds up that it's something "the democrats" want.

I'm not really in favor of reparations. I just saw something about giving the Indian Nations all the national park lands...I kind of like that idea, There could be no better stewards of the land. (Hypothetically)

But...giving shite to colored people is a nonstarter however you look at it politically. Even punishing police for murdering them is not popular and will hurt democrats.

Pretty much anything the democrats say or do that republicans wouldn't say or do will hurt them politically.

As I see it the only answer to the conundrum is for the Democrats to become Republicans.

Everyone supporting those crazy liberal ideas should be ejected from the party and encouraged to go back to wherever their ancestors came from.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
jgw #334243 05/20/21 12:04 AM
Those who come up with these strategies that most Americans oppose. It doesn't take a political rocket scientist to know if going against the will of the majority of Americans could very well lead to an election defeat, a wave election where in this case, the democrats are in control, they lose that control. ALA, 1994 and 2010.

So let me ask you a question, we know if one is honest that Defund the police cost the Democrats 13 house seats. Reparations which only 18% support, bring that up could hurt the dems in the midterms. Now I haven't heard about the national park thing except from jgw, but I can guarantee you a majority of Americans would be opposed to that.

If one wants to accomplish much in 2023/24, that means retaining both chambers of congress. Obama got his ACA, but at what cost? His last six years were basically lame duck years limited to EO's. Putting off the ACA for a year or two, what more could Obama have accomplished if he retained the House? The ACA was an albatross around the Democrats neck all though the Obama years. It took Trump to make the ACA popular, without Trump, the ACA probably would still be unpopular. You can look below to see how unpopular the ACA was during Obama.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/obama_and_democrats_health_care_plan-1130.html

Of course I look at these things more through a political strategist eyes than partisan eyes. My goal is to win elections, so my advice is along the lines of not doing anything stupid that would cost you the next election.

Pushing through a reparation bill could cost you the next election, turning of national parks to the indians, could cost you the next election. If you don'[t get ride of the word Defund, change it to Reform or something akin to that, if you don't, it could cost you the next election.

You, the democrats got the Republicans back on their heels with Trump and a civil war going on. Why in the world would you grab their hand and straighten them up by bringing things, legislation up that a majority of Americans are against? Is this a death wish?

My advice which no one takes, don't do anything stupid like you did in 1994 and 2010 if you want to retain control of congress. But then again, if you think these things are so important that losing control of congress is worth it, by all means, have at it.

Personally, I'd like to see what Biden can do with four years, but that will mean taking into consideration of the will and wants of a majority of Americans and not to pass anything that would go against that will and want. It means listening to America as a whole and not just one's base or even a portion of one's base.

jgw #334245 05/20/21 12:50 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Who in the world is thinking of pushing through a reparations bill?

Nobody, I think.

Remember when you couldn't show me any democrats shrieking support for defunding the police?

None of them are pushing for reparations or giving parklands back to their former owners.

Whenever you hear crazy stuff like this on teevee, just ask yourself...how would Manchin vote. Because that is exactly how radical Democrats are going to be.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
jgw #334249 05/20/21 01:04 PM
I really have to find a way to be less long winded.

Democrats Push For Reparations Bill, Testing White House Support

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ginahe...ing-white-house-support/?sh=56bca3243c9d

‘A cry for an acknowledgement:’ U.S. House Democrats urge reparations bill

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/a-...ocrats-urge-reparations-bill-2021-04-14/

Basically, none of the above named names, but reparations is being pushed hard by the squad. They do get a lot of face time on the news where someone like Manchin gets none.

I think when it comes to face time, the spot light, the weirder, the loudest and the most outspoken get the headlines and shown on the news.

Politics is a war of propaganda, of trying to influence the voter, their perspectives, most of the time truth and facts need not apply. I have no doubt that some GOP congressional candidates for 2022 will be playing TV ads of Omar, AOC etc. hollering for reparations in certain swing districts that have yet to be drawn.

Now look at those headlines, "Democrats Push For Reparations Bill, Testing White House Support," and ‘A cry for an acknowledgement:’ U.S. House Democrats urge reparations bill."

Most independents, swing voters won't read the articles, just the headlines. In their minds, the headline says it all. Democrats push or urge reparations...

So it easy to see how those who pay very little attention to politics if any until election time would naturally assume democrats, all democrats want reparations. Right, wrong or indifferent, that's how these things work.

Perhaps the bottom line is to figure out how many of these swing voters vote based on just some tid bit in the news, some headline or some elected official hollering their head off about some subject or issue. Whereas Republicans and Democrats are way over represented among those who actually vote vs. total party affiliation of the nation as a whole. Independents are way under represented. Which makes sense as independents have no horse in the race, the horses belong to republicans and democrats.

Perhaps the bottom line here is independents, swing voter make up between 25-30% of those who do vote, but 40% of the electorate as a whole. Republicans and Democrats make up roughly 55% of the total electorate, but 70-75% of those who actually vote.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 38 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,251
Posts312,823