Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pdx rick - 10/25/21 10:29 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pdx rick - 10/25/21 07:00 PM
Winning
by perotista - 10/25/21 04:50 PM
What's for dinner?
by TatumAH - 10/25/21 04:02 PM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 10/25/21 04:02 PM
Why and How can they?
by olyve - 10/25/21 03:46 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by TatumAH - 10/25/21 03:38 PM
Joe Manchin thread
by Greger - 10/25/21 02:08 PM
REWARD: Vote Fraud
by logtroll - 10/25/21 12:10 AM
Le Shrooms
by logtroll - 10/25/21 12:07 AM
U.S. Companies Bet Shoppers Will Keep Paying Higher Prices
by pondering_it_all - 10/24/21 08:35 PM
Bureaucracy
by jgw - 10/24/21 08:33 PM
The GOP, goop, and political Pop-tarts
by pdx rick - 10/23/21 03:12 PM
Carbon Sequestration
by pondering_it_all - 10/23/21 07:28 AM
What % of humanity is batsh!t crazy?
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 02:49 AM
A Question of Culture
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 02:43 AM
3 word story game
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 01:26 AM
Where did this car thing start?
by jgw - 10/20/21 05:14 PM
Mountain Meadows Massacre
by Mellowicious - 10/20/21 02:41 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,599,208 my own book page
4,734,331 We shall overcome
3,780,594 Campaign 2016
3,458,739 Trump's Trumpet
2,727,905 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#334380 06/01/21 03:58 AM
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Bipartisanship is not what it is cracked-up to be. I will never understand why Dems want to make legislation with a group of people who believe that government doesn't work and ensures that any law passed makes government doesn't work, true.

Bipartisanship only leads to watered-down inadequate legislation or no legislation at all. If you want a government that works, bipartisanship is not an objective, it's a deterrent.

Biden needs to go big and go bold on everything he does in the next four years. Republicans are only an anchor around his neck and all one has to do is look at all of Obama's watered-down legislation due to the Republicans to validate what I am writing is true.

Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

I think there's a difference between bipartisanship and being willing to compromise and play the game of give and take. Reagan and Tip O'Neill played that game to the hilt. In the end both got most of what they wanted, the other always received something which always helped future negotiations. Each always would come back next year to try to get what they didn't originally. With these two you pretty much knew there would be no loggerheads, stalemates, gridelock. I would say each had their own agenda and each was able to keep their agenda's moving forward. No small accomplishment.

Of course this was in a previous political era where both major parties respected the other and each realized the other had the same goal, a secure, prosperous and free America. Only the paths to get there was a bit different.

Today, there is no respect from the parties for the other. Both view the other party as this nation's number one enemy. More of an enemy than Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, terrorist, you name it. In today's modern political era of polarization, the great divide, mega, ultra high partisanship, there may be no room for compromise or playing that old game of give and take. I still wouldn't call it bipartisanship, both Reagan and old Tip were partisan as all get out, yet they could work together. I would say, both realized that politics is the art or the game of gaining the possible.Putting the impossible on the back burner for a try at it later.

We have a different breed of politicians these days. I don't like them. There's nothing for me to like in today's modern political era. What we've been going to is government by EO's and not legislation. Perhaps the intransigent of both parties to work with the other and always opposing any and every thing the other proposes is one of the reasons why. But EO's can be repealed, changed and replaced by any new president coming into the office. That is if the courts let them. Congress is becoming more and more irrelevant, but that is congress's own fault as over time they have ceded more and more of their constitutional powers to the administration and other government departments.

It is what it is whether one likes it or not. Go bold, that might be the only option in today's modern political era. If it's too bold, the midterm results will rectify that. Time will tell.

Last edited by perotista; 06/01/21 12:15 PM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
Today, there is no respect from the parties for the other.

How can one have respect for a group of people who believe that government doesn't work and ensures that any law passed makes sure that government doesn't work?
How can one have respect for a group who waters-down legislation so that it is inadequate?

Originally Posted by perotista
Both view the other party as this nation's number one enemy. .
Pretty sure that Republicans did that on their own last week when they refused to investigate the 1/6 Insurrection and support folks like Michael Flynn who call for a "Myanmar-type coup."

Hmm

Nevertheless, respect was there until relatively recently. Perhaps the debate is how much is government's responsibility and how much is an individual's responsibitiy. Now that is a debate that has been going on ever since I was born.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I just wanted to say that I don't think you are against bi-partisan stuff so much as bi-partisan stuff with the current batch loons passing as Republicans. I think that most, who don't vote Republican probably agree with that.

Functional Bi-partisan stuff, however, works! The theory is simple. Two sides sit down and say what they are for and against and then they come up with something they both can live with. This means that neither side gets their way and whatever they are doing is tends to not represent one side or the other. This is, I think, a good thing.

Apologies, I have harped on this one for a very long time!

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by jgw
The theory is simple. Two sides sit down and say what they are for and against and then they come up with something they both can live with.
How can any rational person negotiate with someone who beleives that government doesn't work. You're already being dragged-down to getting 50% of what you want? It's best to go it alone and get 100% of what you want - when you're in charge.

Hmm

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
You are right! all I am doing is repeating how it can work and how that happens. That is never going to happen with the current crop of Trump Republicans.

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
A 128-page U.S. Senate bipartisan report on the Trump-incited Capitol insurrection of January 6 mentions the word "insurrection" only nine times – seven are in footnotes citing source material, and two are quotes from witness testimony. It also does not include Donald Trump's incitement of the insurrection, or his team's plans to do so, aside from mentioning his speech for timeline context.

How many more examples are needed to validate that partnering with Republicans to bring bipartisanship to anything government related, simply waters-down that thing from being meaningful in any way? Hmm

US Senate Report

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As I see it the problem is not republican obstruction so much as it is democratic obstruction.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, but until Manchin and Sinema start voting with democrats they have a 52/48 majority in the Senate.

Republicans need only to sit on their hands while Dems argue among themselves.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Greger
As I see it the problem is not republican obstruction so much as it is democratic obstruction.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, but until Manchin and Sinema start voting with democrats they have a 52/48 majority in the Senate.

Republicans need only to sit on their hands while Dems argue among themselves.
Both Manchin and Sinema are DINOs. Hmm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 41 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,225
Posts311,557
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017