Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pondering_it_all - 10/23/21 07:41 PM
Le Shrooms
by pondering_it_all - 10/23/21 07:26 PM
Why and How can they?
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 06:41 PM
Bureaucracy
by perotista - 10/23/21 06:29 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by Ken Condon - 10/23/21 05:19 PM
The GOP, goop, and political Pop-tarts
by pdx rick - 10/23/21 03:12 PM
REWARD: Vote Fraud
by pdx rick - 10/23/21 03:09 PM
Carbon Sequestration
by pondering_it_all - 10/23/21 07:28 AM
What % of humanity is batsh!t crazy?
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 02:49 AM
A Question of Culture
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 02:43 AM
3 word story game
by TatumAH - 10/23/21 01:26 AM
Winning
by perotista - 10/21/21 05:22 PM
Where did this car thing start?
by jgw - 10/20/21 05:14 PM
Mountain Meadows Massacre
by Mellowicious - 10/20/21 02:41 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 10/20/21 01:04 AM
Who killed General Colin Powell?
by Ujest Shurly - 10/19/21 10:42 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 10/19/21 12:19 AM
A Musical Quiz
by TatumAH - 10/18/21 09:01 PM
What about the latest Catholic Church fiasco in France?
by pondering_it_all - 10/18/21 08:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,590,607 my own book page
4,728,740 We shall overcome
3,774,693 Campaign 2016
3,453,008 Trump's Trumpet
2,719,938 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#334286 05/24/21 10:52 AM
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
via Walter G. Moss, a professor emeritus of history at Eastern Michigan University

The Trump resentfuls are mostly found in small towns and rural areas, and among older people, non-college graduates, groups once dependent on manufacturing and mining jobs, and social conservatives and white Christians.

Trump’s resentfulls have a sense of displacement in a country they once dominated. Immigrants, minorities, non-Christians, even atheists have taken center stage, forcing them to the margins of American life.

Trump’s resentfuls believe that the big-city elites, the professionals, and the government - before Trump came along - all failed to help them achieve their share of the American Dream. They resent professionals and liberals telling them how to live, calling them racists, or limiting their freedoms - e.g. to buy multiple guns or go about maskless during our present pandemic. "President Trump was at his best when he ignored the experts and went his own way,” resentfuls say.

Many of Trump’s resentful feel they are "being treated unjustly, unfairly, or disrespectfully."

The appearance of Trump and discovery of like-minded people - via the Internet and the person-to-person contacts of smaller towns - help overcome feelings of powerlessness. Feeling more powerful, some "people merely want a remedy for the injustice they have experienced. But others - typically those who experience disrespect - want more than redress; they want revenge.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
2022 is shaping up to be another moratorium on Trump. The resentfuls(formerly deplorables) are out for revenge and I hope America slaps them down once again.

But you never know...is Germany the successful nation it is today because they took an unfortunate right hand turn nearly a century ago?

Is that our future? To descend into murderous depravity before rising like a Phoenix from the ashes?

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Single-minded cult behavior built on resentments and victimization breeds a dangerous fanaticism that invariably leads to all kinds of tragedy. We have a clear historical record to confirm this.

A country, society, culture cannot remain stable when nearly half of its citizens succumb to irrationality.

Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
"Cancel culture" is the big Trump Party war cry these days. A lot of people outside that Party don't even understand what they are saying! Their idea is that anyone complaining about their bad behavior, is attacking their right to have their own beliefs and political opinions. But have a look at this story:

State Legislator Sics Supporters on Accuser

An Idaho Assemblyman raped an intern. got expelled from the assembly, and his supporters have done everything to attack the intern. Trump Party people are willing to defend a rapist, strictly on partisan grounds. When your actions include defending rapists, spreading lies about the election, insurrection against the United States, supporting politicians who violate their oath to defend the Constitution and defend against enemies foreign and domestic, etc. that's not "an opinion or belief". That's just plain unethical, treasonous, and sometimes criminal behavior.

The people objecting to that are not "attacking your rights", they are choosing to speak out against evil. You can be Conservative without being evil! Look at George Romney, for example. Conservative yes, evil not so much. When Trump Party people stop doing evil things, others will stop criticizing them. You would think Evangelical Christians at least would understand this.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
Evangelical Christians at least would understand this.

They are quite accustomed to worshipping an erratic, unpredictable, and vengeful lord and master. They have led the charge against common sense for two millennia.

Online Content
Did you see this?

"Trump on idea to run for House seat in 2022 in a bid to become Speaker and launch an impeachment inquiry against Biden: 'It's very interesting"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ery-interesting/ar-AAKJBpz?ocid=msedgntp

Just when I think the political world can't get any crazier, it does. Let see, if Trump still calls Mar a Lago, Fla home, I think he'd have a hard time winning. Palm Beach County went to Biden 56-43% over Trump. The 21st congressional district where Trump lives went for Biden 58-41. So with redistricting taking place, the Florida legislature would have to draw a Trump friendly district. Which I'm sure is doable.

The senate would also be interesting as that would pit Trump against Rubio in the GOP primary. Now John Q Adams after he lost the presidency to Jackson ran and became a congressman from Massachusetts 1830-1848. So it's been done before.

Also Val Demings, very anti-Trump is gearing up to run against Rubio, pro-Trump. So if Trump runs for the Florida senate, why have a proxy in Rubio when you could have the real thing, Trump?

I seriously doubt any of this will take place.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Online Content
It's stuff like this that is driving me from a pure swing voter with no leans into a swing voter that is leaning Democratic. This hits home as it is home.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp booed and Raffensperger censured at state GOP convention

https://news.yahoo.com/georgia-gov-brian-kemp-booed-025649906.html

The list goes on, Murkowski, Cheney, Ducey, Burr, Fleck, Cassidy and many more. It's very simple, loyalty to one man has over ridden the party's conservative ideals which has become a thing of the past. ancient history as I'm fond of saying.

I wondered if I was alone or if my new tilt was being felt my many. But according to the numbers, the independents leaners, lean Republican and lean Democratic has remain constant, almost the same since Nov 2020.

Party affiliation for the GOP was at 30%, those who identify themselves as Republicans last Nov 2020, their affiliation dropped to 24% at the end of Jan 2021 and has since risen back to 29%. What happened there was a lot of republicans moved into the independent column and are now returning to their original party affiliation. Democrats on the other hand has risen from 31% last Nov 2020 up to 33% today. So some independents lean Democratic have become down right Democrats. While the GOP is regaining those originally lost due to 1-6. My take anyway for what's it worth.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Online Content
Here's something I worked up for another site. I would appreciate your opinions. I hope this is the right place for it.

Has Trump changed swing voters/independents voting habits? Let’s look at the numbers for the last 20 years in how swing voters/independents have voted.

2020 independents voted for Democratic Joe Biden by a 54-41 margin over Trump.
2018 independents voted for Democratic congressional candidates 54-42 over Republican congressional candidates.
2016 independents voted for Republican Trump by a 46-42 margin over Hillary Clinton with 12% voting third party against both Trump and Hillary.
2014 independents voted for Republican congressional candidate 54-42 over Democratic congressional candidates.
2012 independents voted for Republican Romney over Democratic Obama 51-48.
2010 independents voted for Republican congressional candidates 54-37 over Democratic congressional candidates.
2008 independents voted for Democratic Obama over Republican McCain 52-44
2006 independents voted for Democratic congressional candidates 57-41 over Republican congressional
candidates.
2004 independents voted for Democratic Kerry 48-47 over Republican G.W. Bush.
2002 independents voted for Republican congressional candidates 50-46 over Democratic congressional candidates.
2000 independents voted for Republican G.W. Bush by a 48-46 margin over democratic Al Gore.

From 2010 through 2016 it’s easy to see independents voting Republican, sometimes by a lot, 2010, 2014. Other times by a small margin 2012 and 2016. Then going by a huge margin for the Democrats in 2018 and 2020. The Trump factor? You decide.

Pre-2010 independents were fairly split in 2000, 2002 and 2004, then going big for democratic congressional candidates in 2006 and for Obama in 2008. Then the big switch from Democratic to Republican for 2010 which lasted 4 election cycles until 2018.

What do you think? Was Trump responsible for the big switch after 4 election cycles from Republican to going huge for the Democrats in 2018 and 2020?

https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/exit-polls/president/national-results
https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls
https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/results/exit-polls
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/2014/us/house/exitpoll/
http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president/
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2010/results/polls.main/
https://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls.main/
https://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/states/US/H/00/epolls.0.html
https://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html
https://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2002/data/epolls/states/US/H/00/epolls.html
http://www.roperld.com/politics/exitpolls.htm

Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
Was Trump responsible for the big switch after 4 election cycles from Republican to going huge for the Democrats in 2018 and 2020?

Most likely. He was definitely responsible for most of the political turmoil between 2016 and 2020, he sucked the air from every issue and made it about himself. Just like your average republican.

You maintain that a single slogan, not uttered by a single democrat was responsible for a loss of 13 seats in congress, yet Nazi symbols, Confederate flags, violent insurrections, racism, bigotry and myscogyny never effected the outcome of any of their elections.

Yet any Democrat who voices any dissent needs to shut up and let the real Democrats handle everything?

The non voting public seems to hear only bad things about Dems while discounting all republican foibles as lone wolf or false flag operations.

But something got them off the couch and it wasn't the bold stand Democrats made while Trump was in office. They sat back and did nothing...

Republicans never had to fight against the filibuster because Democrats laid down like PIA thinks Palestinians should lay down. Democrats are done for the next two years because everything will run up against the filibuster and they haven't got the balls to get rid of it.

Because they answer to the same master.

Online Content
It seems pretty unanimous about the 13 seat loss, from exit polls to democratic strategist, to political pundits and the Democratic panel who did their after action reports. Even democratic leadership admit it.

As for what you raised about the GOP, I think you seen the results in how independents voted. They left the GOP, not voting for GOP candidates in 2018 and not voting for Trump in 2020.

Somehow though, there were a lot of these folks who voted Biden, against Trump and then GOP down ballot. How does a group of voters vote 54-41 for Biden, yet vote only 50-48 for Democratic congressional candidates? There has to be a reason or reasons.

It's possible what you stated stuck to Trump and when it came to congressional candidates, doing away with the police over rode that. At least in those 13 races. But not all others. For something to stick, it has to be plausible. Tagging Trump as a racist worked among independents, tagging democratic congressional candidates as wanting to do away with the police, defund the police worked on some. Where it wasn't plausible, it didn't work.

But what left pundits and political strategist scratching their heads is how can Biden win an election by 7 plus votes and yet lose house seats. This was the first time something like that happened since 1884. 1884 was the only other time. Something was at work to cause that. The dislike for Trump was hot and heavy by independents. But not so much for Republicans congressional candidates. The dislike of Trump didn't reach that far down. But something had to cause that, the not reach.

The best any of us, those who forecast and ended up with egg on their face when the democrats lost house seats is Defund the police. That became the number issue in many voters mind when it came to their vote for congress. But not for president.

I suppose we all are still trying to figure out the reason why. Defund the police is a consensus reason from both sides of the aisle. But it could be the dislike of Trump which drove folks to the polls just didn't register down ballot.

It could be the districts themselves. National polls, they don't mean much when the election is district by district.

One other thing here. I'm not trying to help Republicans win elections. If I was I would be giving my advice to them and not to Democrats. I'd be telling Republicans what to change, what not to say, how to attract the independent voter, not telling democrats that.

But that's okay, the base of any party doesn't want to hear why they lost.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (perotista), 46 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,223
Posts311,445
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017