Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 09/19/21 06:37 PM
Afghanistan
by Mellowicious - 09/19/21 06:15 PM
Summertime Roundtable
by pdx rick - 09/19/21 05:16 PM
25,000 Employees sue Disneyland for better pay
by pdx rick - 09/19/21 03:55 PM
Did I hear that right?
by Greger - 09/19/21 03:49 PM
Masks, after vaxx, after delta
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:54 PM
The Lawlessness is the Point
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:32 PM
New Texas law
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:18 PM
Winning
by perotista - 09/14/21 01:06 PM
CRISIS ALERT!!
by logtroll - 09/13/21 01:10 PM
How did Common Sense Die?
by logtroll - 09/13/21 12:45 PM
World Travel via GeoGuessr
by pdx rick - 09/12/21 09:35 PM
Trial/no trials, 9/11
by Mellowicious - 09/12/21 04:46 PM
Le Shrooms
by Jeffery J. Haas - 09/12/21 04:41 PM
Who are the Taliban?
by pdx rick - 09/11/21 04:56 AM
my own book page
by Mellowicious - 09/07/21 03:21 PM
Sidesism
by Mellowicious - 09/06/21 12:02 AM
Jan 6 Select Committee Hearings - are you watching
by pondering_it_all - 09/04/21 11:49 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,500,945 my own book page
4,674,669 We shall overcome
3,688,783 Campaign 2016
3,383,735 Trump's Trumpet
2,663,494 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Yesterday, a Reddit thread about whether Costco would close in the future on Juneteenth sparked a discussion. The OP "Mike" is very pro-Juneteenth stating that slavery is "America's original sin" and that a closed warehouse (paid day off from work) would allow families to honor the end to American's past history of slavery.

The thread is commented on by Costco Members and Costco Employees - all anonymous The thing that I want to point out is all of Mike's comments have been downvoted where some are in the negative territory (as of this writing here on RR).

WTF? Hmm

Reddit Costco thread.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
Lots of stores are open on holidays, so it's pretty silly to take offense at Costco deciding to be open then. There is plenty of other stuff they can do to honor the holiday. Like a Juneteenth sale. A Juneteenth flyer for their members. Maybe some of their Black customers will want to go buy food and such for a Juneteenth picnic!

I plan on flying my rainbow flag on the 28th. If there is a recognized Juneteenth flag by next year, I will fly it on the 19th.

And of course there is still racism in America. One of the mainstream political parties is all about racism, both as a means of manipulating their racist base, and because of their leaders' inherent beliefs.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
1 member likes this: pdx rick
Most stores around my area are open on all holidays. Although on a couple holidays like Christmas, the hours are cut back. Most stores use the holidays to have sales. About the only thing you can count on is banks and government offices being closed. Pretty everything else is business as usual.

Now I haven't the faintest idea whether these stores pay double time or not when they're open on holidays. Holidays just don't have the meaning anymore that they once did. I think you have to be old to remember when most stores were closed on holidays, going back 50-60 years.

Cosco staying open on Juneteenth is no big deal, most other stores stay open on the holidays. At least around here. Home Depot is closed on Christmas, but has regular hours for every other holiday, Sams which I think is akin to Cosco is closed only on Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter.

The bottom line is I see nothing sinister about Cosco being open Juneteenth.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Lots of stores are open on holidays, so it's pretty silly to take offense at Costco deciding to be open then. There is plenty of other stuff they can do to honor the holiday.
Actually Costco management hasn't decided one way or the other.

Like a Juneteenth sale.
As the OP the reddit thread wrote
, "....juneteenth is hardly a "Linen Sale" holiday. It's more significant than that."
I agree. The end of slavery in the US ought to be celebrated and remembered and honored and equal to, and on par with, 4th of July. Hmm

And of course there is still racism in America. One of the mainstream political parties is all about racism, both as a means of manipulating their racist base, and because of their leaders' inherent beliefs.
Are you talking about Tucker Carlson? Tucker can't even make a fool of himself without being douchey. It's as if he's mocking you for watching his show.

smile

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
Most stores around my area are open on all holidays. Although on a couple holidays like Christmas, the hours are cut back. Most stores use the holidays to have sales. About the only thing you can count on is banks and government offices being closed. Pretty everything else is business as usual.
Costco literally closes their warehouses and pays their employees for the day off as straight time for: New Years Day, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Originally Posted by perotista
Cosco staying open on Juneteenth is no big deal
Social Justice for black Americans is simply not in your wheel house. I get that. I don't think it will ever be, quite frankly. Hmm

Last edited by pdx rick; 06/20/21 10:58 PM.

Perhaps not, not in the sense whether a store stays open or closed on any particular holiday is a big deal. Not when most others are open regardless of the holiday.

Cosco is closed on Memorial day. They're probably about the only one. As a military man I wouldn't hold it against them if they were open, as I don't hold it against any other store.

It seems to me that the civilian world and the military have different concepts on this social justice thing or shall I say race. Civilians seems fixated on it one way or the other. After 21 years active duty and another 26 years working for the Army as a department of the army civilian, most military aren't. We don't ask what race or religion someone is who has one's back. It's totally irrelevant. We, even retired are family regardless of race, comrades in arms, brothers and sisters in uniform.

For the most part, we don't give race much thought if any. You ever went to a PX or commissary, you'd be shocked at seeing all the mix race marriages and mix kids. The military has had a few racists, but once identified, out they go. Regardless of race or religion, it's private or sergeant or Captain or General, yes sir and no sir. Race is totally irrelevant.

Perhaps the military is a million miles closer to MLK's dream of judging a person by his the content of his character instead of his skin than civilians are. The military isn't perfect, but we constantly working on it. We also don't judge how a person thinks, does or acts in regard to race relations pro or con on whether or not Cosco is open or closed.

But, this is America and that my non-military friend is your privilege. But you may be right, social justice for blacks isn't in our wheelhouse. We're too busy taking care of family, the military family where the color of one's skin is irrelevant. They're all family. Probably a concept civilians will never get.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
It feels as if you're discounting the end of slavery as if it's no big deal, perotista. That's your prerogative. You're in the majority in that regard as evident by thee Reddit thread linked into the original post. THAT is the whole point of this thread. Hmm

I don't discount it, I place it in the context of the times in which it took place. Actually slavery existed in some form from the rise of humans until Niger in 2003 and Mauritania in 2007 finally made slavery a crime.

In 1776 when this country declared its independence, it wouldn't be founded until after the war and some will say it wasn't founded until the Constitution was ratified as the Articles of Confederation didn't bind the colonies together. Slavery was legal and mostly practiced by at least 80% of the countries of the world. In other words, it was normal practice during that time period, the norm. By 1865, you have around 50% or a bit more countries still practicing the institution of slavery in some form or another.

It was that period between 1776 and 1865 that the abolition of slavery really picked up steam. It was led by the countries of Europe as most countries outside of Europe still practiced it.

You did have strange things happen prior to 1865, like Russia abolishing slavery, but replacing it with serfdom. Portugal prohibiting the slavery of the Chinese, but leaving all others subject to slavery. Spain abolishing prisoners of war from slavery in Chili, then abolishing slavery of native Americans, but retaining the slavery of blacks. China passed a law limiting the number of slaves a family could have and the list goes on.

I always believed one can never understand history, understand why and how events in history happen unless history is placed into the context of the times it happened. One can't understand history looking back at earlier events and happenings through 21st century eyes. The norms, standards, morality was different.

Putting slavery or any other event, happening into the context of the times it happen doesn't mean condoning. It just brings events and happening into their proper context and perhaps a better understanding as to the whys and wherefore's.

You'll find out that a lot of things in the past that was viewed as normal, we view as abhorrent today. There will be a lot of things we do today that will be viewed as abhorrent by those in the future. Context is everything.

No, I prefer to live in and associate with my color blind military family. If you want to continue to judge folks by the color of their skin, that's your privilege. I prefer Joe and Fred or Sergeant and Captain.

But you're probably right in the way I view things. What happened in the past, happened. There's nothing I can do about that. Now I can continue to try to make the world today a better place or I can live in the past. Although at times I certainly do. Or wish for the way things were in the past like going back to a previous political era where polarization, the great divide and the mega, ultra partisanship didn't exist or was very limited.

No, I don't worry about things I can't do anything about or help in some form or another. But if I can help, I do. I don't worry about WWIII or the Super Volcano at Yellowstone erupting, nothing I can do about them.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In regards to Costco...if they are closed on all other Federal holidays except Juneteenth yet boycott adding this one then I see a problem.

New Year's Day (January 1).
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. (Third Monday in January).
Washington's Birthday (Third Monday in February).
Memorial Day (Last Monday in May).
Independence Day (July 4).
Labor Day (First Monday in September).
Columbus Day (Second Monday in October).
Veterans Day (November 11).
Thanksgiving Day (Fourth Thursday in November).
Christmas Day (December 25).

And of course you would expect white people to be uninterested in this holiday because it isn't about them, particularly conservative white people...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Here's the list of holidays cosco is closed.

Our U.S. warehouses are closed on the following holidays:

New Year’s Day
Easter Sunday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas

https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/701/~/what-are-costcos-holiday-closures%3F

That's 6 out of 12 federal holidays, Easter isn't a federal holiday.

I

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 38 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby, Superfly
6,296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,190
Posts309,990