Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Summertime Roundtable
by pondering_it_all - 09/20/21 10:14 AM
Afghanistan
by pdx rick - 09/20/21 12:02 AM
Gerrymandering
by pdx rick - 09/19/21 10:46 PM
25,000 Employees sue Disneyland for better pay
by pdx rick - 09/19/21 03:55 PM
Did I hear that right?
by Greger - 09/19/21 03:49 PM
Masks, after vaxx, after delta
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:54 PM
The Lawlessness is the Point
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:32 PM
New Texas law
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:18 PM
Winning
by perotista - 09/14/21 01:06 PM
CRISIS ALERT!!
by logtroll - 09/13/21 01:10 PM
How did Common Sense Die?
by logtroll - 09/13/21 12:45 PM
World Travel via GeoGuessr
by pdx rick - 09/12/21 09:35 PM
Trial/no trials, 9/11
by Mellowicious - 09/12/21 04:46 PM
Le Shrooms
by Jeffery J. Haas - 09/12/21 04:41 PM
Who are the Taliban?
by pdx rick - 09/11/21 04:56 AM
my own book page
by Mellowicious - 09/07/21 03:21 PM
Sidesism
by Mellowicious - 09/06/21 12:02 AM
Jan 6 Select Committee Hearings - are you watching
by pondering_it_all - 09/04/21 11:49 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,501,487 my own book page
4,675,266 We shall overcome
3,689,630 Campaign 2016
3,384,482 Trump's Trumpet
2,664,030 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Christmas and Easter are Chrisitan Religious holidays.

Costco's Corp offices are closed on MLK day...but the warehouses are open. The employees get a "float day" for MLK - which means they can take any day off they wish within two weeks prior to the MLK or two weeks after MLK - along with their normal two days off, for a a total of three days off that week.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
How about if Costco offered free "trial" admission for people of color on June 19th? A form of corporate reparations!

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Christmas and Easter are Chrisitan Religious holidays.

But Christmas, unlike Easter, is also a Federal holiday.

Corporations do not owe anybody a day off on any day of the year.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
Yep, proven through our history. We have, for instance, attacked and slaughtered; Chinese, Native Americans, Blacks. We have also attacked the Irish and Germans with some vigor as well. We, basically, don't like anybody that isn't us.

Oh, then we have promises not kept. We demonstrate this one when we take our army to a foreign country to 'help' them as we always need some of the helped to help us. In Iraq I think the latest toll is something like 250,000 civilians dead which included several interpreters as well (we tend to abandon any and all interpreters except for an exclusive few). I don't know our toll on the people In Afghanistan but I betcha its in the thousands. Our current government doesn't have the time to let all 18,000 people into America, who we used as interpreters, or otherwise supported us over the Taliban which, basically, means they will be slaughtered by the Taliban. Then there is our abandonment of Vietnamese who got to go to Vietnamese communist schools to learn or die learning the communist way. We abandoned entire Vietnamese tribes that choose us over they commies. Oh, then there are the Kurds we abandoned as well. In other words, when we set out to 'help' another country we are absolutely great at getting them abandoned and dead. What continues to amaze me is that everytime to take our army into another country we can always find suckers willing to sacrifice their lives to 'help' us 'help' them!

An interesting point in the Afghanistan war is that we put the most corrupt government we could find in power and stuck with them whilst bribing everybody in site at the same time, thereby assuring Afghanistan of a government neither trusted supported by the Afghans themselves.

Anyway, actually we are not a kindly people We also don't like anybody who doesn't behave and look like us. Not only that when we 'help' a nation we tend to leave a lot of ruins, and dead friends, in our wake.

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Greger
Corporations do not owe anybody a day off on any day of the year.
In 2021 they do.

Companies are measured by fuzzy, wuzzy metrics these days such a good citizen stewardship, how much they pay attention to the environment, how much they contribute to social fabric of their community, employee satisfaction.

The world has changed a lot since you retired Greger. smile

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by jgw
Yep, proven through our history. We have, for instance, attacked and slaughtered; Chinese, Native Americans, Blacks. We have also attacked the Irish and Germans with some vigor as well. We, basically, don't like anybody that isn't us.
How has the US attacked the Irish? Hmm

Originally Posted by jgw
Oh, then we have promises not kept. We demonstrate this one when we take our army to a foreign country to 'help' them as we always need some of the helped to help us. In Iraq I think the latest toll is something like 250,000 civilians dead which included several interpreters as well (we tend to abandon any and all interpreters except for an exclusive few).
You can thank Scooter Libby and DICK Cheney's rewriting intel assessment for THAT!

Originally Posted by jgw
An interesting point in the Afghanistan war is that we put the most corrupt government we could find in power and stuck with them whilst bribing everybody in site at the same time, thereby assuring Afghanistan of a government neither trusted supported by the Afghans themselves.
Sounds like a plan that a Republican would come up with. coffee

Originally Posted by jgw
Anyway, actually we are not a kindly people.

Bow (although white, conservative, middle-class and above would disagree and say we've been very kind to people. Hmm )

Originally Posted by jgw
We also don't like anybody who doesn't behave and look like us. Not only that when we 'help' a nation we tend to leave a lot of ruins, and dead friends, in our wake.
It says right in the Constitution that baby Jesus helped write, that if these people who need our help are not white and Christian, then it is our God-given American right not to have to like them. laugh

veteran
veteran
US policy supported the English keeping the Irish as their surfs for a long time. Then when Irish folks emigrated to America, they found a huge number of "Irish Need Not Apply" signs below "Help Wanted".

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I was told, by a great grandmother, that when they came over from the Irish famine that here were signs in every store that "Irish need not apply" and other such. Oh, as an aside. The Irish Famine took place when the landlords choose to export all the food for the money rather than feeding the lowly. Seems greed pretty much ALWAYS wins!

We can thank ourselves for not keeping our word when it comes to helping those who helped us. Its a long and troubled thing of making promises to help and then it not happening. You can talk to just about anybody who has served for that one.

That was originally setup by George W Bush and supported by both parties after that.

I don't really understand the Baby Jesus thing.

Oh - Nice try!

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
"America is not a racist country."
-- Nimrata Nikki Haley, who doesn't use her first name because Republicans would be less likely to vote for someone who doesn't pass as white.

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
As far as I can tell EVERYBODY (including President Biden) is in favor of bringing Afghans who have worked for us to safety in America instead of leaving them to the Taliban. It also seems that we are out of there in, I think, something like two week, which means that there is no way our bureaucracy can get that job done in less than multiple months. This, in spite of the fact that we have known, for months that this was coming.

This is, yet again, another prime example of the United States being utterly unable to keep their word. What I don't understand is why ANYBODY would believe anything we say! Instead, I guess, our leaders, and bureaucracy, are simply unable to function. I also suspect that pretty soon we will be treated with huge airplanes trying to load thousands of terrified Friends of America and fly them someplace, kinda like the Viet Nam disaster. also think its interesting that there have already been thousands of them bleeding through their borders before the slaughter begins.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby, Superfly
6,296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,190
Posts309,998