Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by TatumAH - 12/03/21 04:58 PM
... doubt is our product...
by chunkstyle - 12/03/21 03:52 PM
Denialism
by Greger - 12/03/21 03:37 PM
Winning
by perotista - 12/03/21 03:27 AM
What's for dinner?
by Greger - 12/03/21 01:46 AM
lying on the internet
by Greger - 12/02/21 08:41 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
I’ll Buy That
by Greger - 12/01/21 07:22 PM
A Musical Quiz
by logtroll - 12/01/21 11:35 AM
Boundaries for Facebook
by jgw - 11/30/21 06:26 PM
Pacific Northwest Weather
by pdx rick - 11/28/21 08:59 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by logtroll - 11/28/21 01:25 PM
Republicans promise brutal revenge in 2022
by pdx rick - 11/27/21 08:45 PM
masks and vaccinations
by logtroll - 11/27/21 01:36 PM
Vigilantism - why isn’t it illegal?
by logtroll - 11/25/21 11:46 PM
"Mom, I think it's a boy."
by TatumAH - 11/25/21 04:37 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 11/23/21 10:17 PM
You don't know beans! vs Killer Beans
by TatumAH - 11/23/21 08:37 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,687,643 my own book page
4,781,943 We shall overcome
3,870,352 Campaign 2016
3,530,659 Trump's Trumpet
2,794,805 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
i think we all want all suits against Trump to move right along. Trump has a long history of being sued and then having his attorneys slowing down the process to the point where they they just seem to go up in smoke. I suspect we are on that train again but, this time, I think we all think that's not gonna happen.

All I can say is that we should all cross our fingers because Trump has a lot of experience with this and its worked for him!

Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
We'll see what happens when Ivanka gets indicted.

LOL

I'm betting she doesn't get indicted. The press pumps shite like that up like it actually might happen.

Ivanka will have her corporate shields in place just like papa had Weissenberg.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Been in Chicago for the past week. Had some awesome meals. Also, saw Barack and Michelle's official portraits at the Chicago Institute for the Arts.

Best breakfast:

Omelette with figs, scallions, applewood bacon, and Harvarti cheese.

Best Dinner:

Buttermilk fried chicken with maple glaze, sautéed brussel sprouts with pumpkin seeds, mustard vinegarette, and topped with shaved parm cheese.

Honorable mentions:

Cheesy grits
Crepes with sautéed mushrooms, cheddar cheese and avocado

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
You must hang out in better places than I do. Never got anything like that the last time I was in Chicago! Did get to see the coal mine in the Museum of Science and Industry. My dad and my wife's mother were both from the greater Chicago area, so she still has some family there.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
L
veteran
veteran
L
The only time I was in Chicago was to visit a violin making school to sell some spruce tonewood to the students. Also went to a wedding in Oak Park?

It was a long time ago on a road trip with a pickup load of Montana rednecks. I don't remember if we had any good food, but I do recall us singing a rendition of "Another One Bites The Dust" at the reception.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
veteran
veteran
Made some great slow-cooker pulled pork last night. Goes with the coleslaw I made the day before. It takes a couple of days in the fridge to develop the right crunch. That's more my speed when it comes to gourmet cooking. I can't even remember what we ate when we were in Chicago last time, but it was definitely simple Midwest home cooking.

Do they have some kind of veneer peeler to get the violin wood so thin? My mom was first violin in the Indianapolis Symphony about 80 years ago, and I always was amazed by how thin her violin's wood was.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Do they have some kind of veneer peeler to get the violin wood so thin? My mom was first violin in the Indianapolis Symphony about 80 years ago, and I always was amazed by how thin her violin's wood was.
The belly and the back are carved by hand from a solid block of wood and the thickness varies all around the ‘plate’ to enhance its physical ability to vibrate. Some places have to be left thicker for strength, such as where the soundpost goes - the soundpost is a round stick that is placed under the foot of the bridge on the higher frequency side and its dual purpose is to transfer vibrations to the back plate (normally hard maple) and to keep the top plate (nearly always spruce) from collapsing under the pressure exerted by the tight strings through the bridge.

Thinner plates are better acoustically as they are more responsive to amplifying the vibrations created in the strings, but too thin results in a lack of long term strength and durability, so the maker has to use best judgment to find an optimal compromise. As the plates are carved, the maker will frequently hold them between thumb and middle finger at a point known to be relatively neutral to vibrations, thumping the plate in the area where the bridge will go, and listening to the tone for both pitch and quality. When it’s “right” (a very subjective determination) the maker stops carving. Yet another element affecting strength and tone is the bass bar, a strip of wood that is glued longitudinally under the other foot of the bridge and serves as a truss to support and distribute the load caused by the strings. It can be ‘tuned’ as well by modifying its dimensions - hide glue is used for all joining as it can be softened with a bit of water and parts can be disassembled for repair or adjustment. I’m a viola player and had always been disappointed by the response of every instrument I had played to C-string vibrations, so when I was helping a luthier buddy to build me a viola, I had him ‘tune’ the bass bar to the pitch of an open C. I assume it worked because it was the best viola for lower register responsiveness and tone quality that I have ever played.

One more design element that most people have no clue about is the decorative wood inlay that runs all around near the edge of the top and back plates. It’s traditionally made from three strips of wood - maple sandwiched between ebony. It’s inlaid in a groove rabbeted into the plates about half the plate thickness deep and located above the joint where the plates are glued (with hide glue) to the sides (ribs) and it functions as sort of a hinge to accoustically decouple the plates from the ribs.

The whole assembly is a hollow sound box and the shape and volume of the interior is also important and makers are alway playing with that variable, too. The F-holes, or sound holes are there to eliminate back pressure from the compression waves that are set up in the enclosed air. People like to say that they let the sound out, but in reality they reduce dampening of the compression waves, which would also dampen the vibration of the plates. It is the compression waves generated by the plates that make the sound that people hear.

As Clem would say, “That right thar is a full shitload o’ injuneerin’!!”

Instruments can be mass produced but their sound qualities and responsiveness are invariably thick and dead.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Now that I am back, I've been busy with work and closing escrow on a house. The house is literally three houses from the beach. I'm at a higher elevation than my two neighbors as well. The rising oceans will need to wipe-out these two properties, before I'll have beach-front property.

smile

You must hang out in better places than I do. Never got anything like that the last time I was in Chicago! Did get to see the coal mine in the Museum of Science and Industry. My dad and my wife's mother were both from the greater Chicago area, so she still has some family there.
I just Googled Chicago breakfast and Chicago dinner, read the menus of the restaurants that came-up in Google and decided where to eat. Hmm

Places where I ate:

Yolk
Had the West Coast Crepes with cheesy grits

The Dearborn
One night I had the buttermilk chicken with maple glaze, mashed pots, and sauteed brussels sprouts (sauteed brussel sprouts, pumpkin seeds, mustard vinegarette, parm cheese)
Another night: Had the Dearborn burger and truffle fries

Wildberry Cafe
Had the Napa Valley Fig omlette with Blueberry Danish speciality pancake instead of toast.

laugh

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Made some great slow-cooker pulled pork last night. Goes with the coleslaw I made the day before. It takes a couple of days in the fridge to develop the right crunch.
How do you make your coleslaw?

Hmm

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by logtroll
The only time I was in Chicago was to visit a violin making school to sell some spruce tonewood to the students. Also went to a wedding in Oak Park?

It was a long time ago on a road trip with a pickup load of Montana rednecks. I don't remember if we had any good food, but I do recall us singing a rendition of "Another One Bites The Dust" at the reception.
Chicago is a great city, contrary to what Conservatives have to say about it. Michigan AV is pretty. The east side of the street is all green-belt and museums. Lots and lots and lots of museums.

The west side of the street are the fancy hotels and stores.

As a side note, Trump's Chicago Tower isn't even on Michaigan AV. It's on Wabash - one street west of MIchigan AV. It's like the difference between Broadway and off-Broadway. Guess Trump isn't that rich after all.
shocked

I stayed at a hotel in-between State and Wasbash - so I was 1.5 blocks from Michigan AV. One day I was walking to Michigan AV and I was standing in the middle of Wabash and I looked North and saw "TRUM" (no P). Is that the Trump Tower I thought? It was.

You couldn't see the "P" in Trump until you were 1.5 blocks from the building. I was probably 12 blocks from the building, initially. The letters are at least 5' tall. Why wouldn't you move the word Trump to the left about 4' so you can see "Trump" from 12 blocks away? Hmm

...just goes to show how things like this lack of attention to detail is why Trump is an incompetent failure in life. Seriously! rolleyes

Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 31 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,254