Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by TatumAH - 10/16/21 06:33 PM
Winning
by rporter314 - 10/16/21 05:32 PM
Arizona Audit/Recount 2020 election
by rporter314 - 10/16/21 05:23 PM
A Question of Culture
by TatumAH - 10/16/21 05:15 PM
A Musical Quiz
by TatumAH - 10/16/21 04:52 PM
What % of humanity is batsh!t crazy?
by Greger - 10/15/21 07:52 PM
opening schools
by Greger - 10/12/21 12:33 PM
Lyrics
by pondering_it_all - 10/10/21 09:04 PM
Miss Navaho Nation
by logtroll - 10/10/21 02:53 PM
Section 230
by jgw - 10/08/21 08:09 PM
Mobile sign-in issues
by Jeffery J. Haas - 10/08/21 07:14 PM
Constitutional Convention
by jgw - 10/06/21 05:41 PM
Whose kid is it, anyway?
by Mellowicious - 10/06/21 03:45 AM
Critters, animal/vegetable, and their place
by pondering_it_all - 10/06/21 01:00 AM
Did I hear that right?
by Mellowicious - 10/05/21 11:47 PM
The Lawlessness is the Point
by Ken Condon - 10/05/21 06:22 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,572,215 my own book page
4,719,497 We shall overcome
3,756,456 Campaign 2016
3,439,508 Trump's Trumpet
2,708,066 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
CNN is about to start coverage of the Jan 6 Select Committee Hearings - are you watching?
Maybe this thread can be a place to voice our collective thoughts.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
veteran
veteran
Not watching, but following. Question: do you think Pelosi is playing it strategically to the best advantage? The reason I ask is that Chris Cillizza, one of my favorite Opinion guys, took the position that by rejecting two of McCarthy's picks she had destroyed any chance of bipartisan credibility.

I think Pelosi is right, the rejects are actually participants in the insurrection, and have clearly stated their intent to do nothing but disrupt a legitimate investigation of a very serious matter. They are illegitimate choices. Besides, what bipartisan opportunity actually exists?

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
I think as far as bipartisanship and compromise go, that's dead for the foreseeable future. Not in today's modern political era of polarization, the great divide and the super, mega, ultra-high partisanship. If you can't get a compromise on something that both major parties are for like the infrastructure bill, forget it. It's each party for themselves.

On the removal, you have this:

“I didn’t think things could get more partisan in the House than they already were,” a top Republican aide told the Washington Examiner. “But Speaker Pelosi’s decision to remove Republicans from the January 6th Committee just took things to an entirely new level. When Republicans take back the House, expect endless retaliation.”

Republicans are a handful of seats away from reclaiming the majority and believe they can win back the gavel in the 2022 midterm elections.

McCarthy, angered by Pelosi’s move to overrule him on Jordan and Banks, has talked of using his power as House speaker, if the GOP wins the majority next year, to “decide who sits on every committee,” a source familiar with McCarthy's comments told the Washington Examiner. “Democrats would have no say.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/expect-endless-retaliation-house-riot-103800300.html

Was Pelosi right, probably so as I'm sure Jordan and Banks would do their utmost to focus the hearings on Portland and Minneapolis riots and not the D.C. riot.

As to the question of will the hearings be seen as a bipartisan attempt to get the truth or a partisan political hack job, who knows? I haven't seen any polling done on this since last May. Perhaps that is the result of lack of interest or perhaps not? Time will tell.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When Republicans take back the House, expect endless retaliation.”

When have we ever expected anything else? What were the Trump years besides an endless vendetta against everything Democrats have ever done? When was the last time we saw a headline proclaiming that Republicans wanted bi-partisan legislation...? They don't. they want to rule with an iron fist.

The capital police testimony really brought home how Republican voters will proudly use violence if necessary to maintain single party rule.

American voters will embrace it or reject it.

Christo-fascism won't be so bad...

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
veteran
Accusing the Capital Police of being "crisis actors" is going to backfire bigtime. We all saw it in real time. Trump fanatics will stay Trump fanatics, but Independents are going to remember the insurrection footage in the midterm election. I bet this will get the Democrats the votes they need in the Senate to kill the filibuster, and 2022 will start the big Democratic accomplishment season.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I bet this will get the Democrats the votes they need in the Senate to kill the filibuster, and 2022 will start the big Democratic accomplishment season.

You might very well be right. Because the newsreels just don't match the Republican rhetoric. There's police bodycam footage now too...and the thin blue line people are using steel whips on that thin blue line...

These folks aren't attracting the new voters they're gonna need come 2022, and their candidates are all trying to prove they can be bigger assh*les than Donald John Trump. This investigation will return the horror of the day to the memories of all decent Americans. And will expose the lies once again.

America already rejected Trumpism once and if the Trumpists want to re-litigate the 2020 election in 2022 I think it's gonna backfire.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
veteran
I would not be too surprised if it gets a few congresspeople kicked out or even prosecuted. I heard one of them was using her cell phone to tell insurrectionists where Nancy Pelosi was hiding. If the insurrectionists committed crimes, directing them was a crime as well.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
I would not be too surprised if it gets a few congresspeople kicked out or even prosecuted. I heard one of them was using her cell phone to tell insurrectionists where Nancy Pelosi was hiding. If the insurrectionists committed crimes, directing them was a crime as well.

I want to draw myself a mental picture of how the "kicking out process" actually works.
That's because I am convinced that it can't work, McCarthy will just freeze it out and the two or three Dems in Name Only will vote against any such thing because they think it would destroy "bipartisanship"...same reason they won't move on even reforming the filibuster.
And forget Republicans helping, even if they're for it. They see what happens to honest conservatives of principle.

And let's not forget, Trump's Senators have blood on their hands, too.
They see what happens in the House, they know the cannon gets aimed at them next.
Mitch isn't having any of that and I am sure his best friends Manchin and Sinema will protect the Senate from the wheels of justice.
Bipartisanship, ya know? :doh:

Of course the insurrectionists committed crimes.
140 of them should never have even been sworn in.
That's happened before...I think during the runup to the Civil War, a bunch of congress critters were simply shown the door, yes?

Uh oh...."do we want another civil war, Jeffy?"
Of course not. I don't want one, you probably don't either.
But it's coming, whether we want it or not.
It's coming because it already started, on January 6, 2021.
And the idea of stopping it and turning things around is about as realistic as stopping peristalsis after several cans of beans.
And Trump's been rolling that beautiful bean footage for six years now.

[Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]

Last edited by Jeffery J. Haas; 07/29/21 11:21 AM.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by logtroll
Not watching...Chris Cillizza, one of my favorite Opinion guys, took the position that by rejecting two of McCarthy's picks she had destroyed any chance of bipartisan credibility..?
Idiot Kevin McCarthy destroyed any chance of bipartisan credibility by nominating two assclowns who voted to not certify the 2020 election and whose only purpose for being on the committee was to obstruct and manipulate the outcome.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
2021: Kevin McCarthy says Republicans will get to the bottom of what happened on Jan 6th.

1995: OJ Simpson says he will hunt down the real killers of Nicole Brown Simpson & Ron Goldman.

Coincidence, I think not. Some people are saying that many of the GQP major donor contributed financially to sending Trump's domestic terrorists to DC and many GQP politicos had a hand in planning the event. Additionally, politicos like Raphael Cruz and Josh Hawley's rhetoric fomented insurrectionist actions. Hmm

This is why the GQP was not onboard with this investigation, they want none of this confirmed.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (TatumAH, 1 invisible), 44 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,211
Posts311,089
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017