Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Winning
by perotista - 10/15/21 11:42 PM
A Question of Culture
by Mellowicious - 10/15/21 08:58 PM
What % of humanity is batsh!t crazy?
by Greger - 10/15/21 07:52 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pondering_it_all - 10/15/21 04:11 AM
A Musical Quiz
by Ken Condon - 10/14/21 12:42 PM
Southwest, American among Texas businesses defying governor
by pondering_it_all - 10/13/21 11:59 PM
opening schools
by Greger - 10/12/21 12:33 PM
Lyrics
by pondering_it_all - 10/10/21 09:04 PM
Miss Navaho Nation
by logtroll - 10/10/21 02:53 PM
Arizona Audit/Recount 2020 election
by pdx rick - 10/09/21 04:00 AM
Section 230
by jgw - 10/08/21 08:09 PM
Mobile sign-in issues
by Jeffery J. Haas - 10/08/21 07:14 PM
Constitutional Convention
by jgw - 10/06/21 05:41 PM
Whose kid is it, anyway?
by Mellowicious - 10/06/21 03:45 AM
Critters, animal/vegetable, and their place
by pondering_it_all - 10/06/21 01:00 AM
Did I hear that right?
by Mellowicious - 10/05/21 11:47 PM
The Lawlessness is the Point
by Ken Condon - 10/05/21 06:22 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,570,167 my own book page
4,716,363 We shall overcome
3,755,438 Campaign 2016
3,438,704 Trump's Trumpet
2,707,398 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
veteran
Something like 80% of the water sucked out of the Colorado River watershed goes to agriculture, and a lot of that is for hayfields.

If soil carbon levels were brought back to healthy levels, it has been estimated that agricultural irrigation water use could be reduced by 50%. 50% of 80% is 40%. If humans weren't butt stupid we could use excess biomass (and there is a humongous lot of it) to use in making cheap energy and biochar, and use the biochar in ag soils, which would increase the Colorado Basin water supply by a whopping 40% while reducing catastrophic wildfires, increasing soil productivity, and drawing down incredible amounts of CO2 from the atmosphere.

The only problem is that humans are butt stupid and there are waay too many of us.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
The Colorado river should be serving cities and agricultural areas near it. The Sierras and desal should be serving the rest of California. We have built all this infrastructure to move Colorado River water way beyond the area it can serve. That infrastructure needs a huge amount of electrical energy (1/5th of the electricity produced in the state!) and a lot of maintenance. It would make a lot more sense to just move electricity instead of water. Almost all the population in California lives in the coastal cities, Desal plants can connect to existing water distribution networks.

In the long run, warming should put more water into the atmosphere, But it will also change precipitation and wind patterns in unpredictable ways. Farmers in North San Diego are trying to leave the San Diego Water Authority so they can join Riverside County's Water Authority, that has lower rates. San Diego has slightly higher rates, but it also has greater stability. These guys are avocado growers who need a minimum amount of water to produce, and they need it all the time. If they get cut off by the water district for two weeks, their production goes to zero for at least the next year. Maybe two years. I predict the end of avocado production in Fallbrook if they succeed, because at some point their new water district will shut down their water. The rest of North County will still have 50 million gallons per day of desal water being made by the Carlsbad plant.
I don't know a thing about avocados. But your first part makes too much sense for it to be enacted.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
veteran
veteran
Desalinization is certainly an interesting coping strategy, but it does nothing to solve the root problem.

R. Buckminster Fuller
It certainly would help the cities on the coast of California. Perhaps shrinking the need for water from the Colorado or Lake Meade. You have two problems with Lake Meade, the evaporation problem and people using more water from Meade than the Colorado River can replace. You also have the electricity output from Hoover Dam having been cut by a fourth as of now, with future electricity cuts very possible in the future as the water level drops. Another 175 foot drop, no more electricity from Hoover, no more water flowing through the dam for down stream use. The article stated Meade is at 36% capacity.That the two of the three intakes that supplies water to Las Vegas is now above the water line. The third is at the bottom of the lake.

The area in its ancient past has suffered through 200 and 300 years droughts. A drought is what is thought that put an end to the Anasazi civilization. My question is, what is being done now? Everyone knows the problem, is it being addressed or just being put on hold?

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
veteran
veteran
How would you define the root problem?

I think the superficial answer is, "Not enough water." But that's actually a symptom, and is not foundational.

"You can't solve a problem until you actually understand what the problem is."

Last edited by logtroll; 07/28/21 04:41 PM.

R. Buckminster Fuller
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Too many people using water unwisely. This isn't a new thing, Cali has had an ongoing problem for a long time, they made the desert bloom, then they forced it to produce.

Much like here in Floriduh it's a man-made problem. And just like here in Floriduh there is no solution cheap enough to solve the problem so no solution will be forthcoming.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Originally Posted by logtroll

I think the superficial answer is, "Not enough water." But that's actually a symptom, and is not foundational.

"You can't solve a problem until you actually understand what the problem is."
I would say the problem is too many people living where the natural environment isn't able to support them. Man has made many changes in an attempt to overcome the natural environment which has been mostly successful to a point. But mother nature will overcome man's attempt at some point, she will eventually win out.

I always thought man needs to live with the natural environment he is thrust in, live along side it, live like nature and man are one. Man has always tried to tame nature to suit man's needs. It usually works for awhile, but sooner or later comes a day of reckoning.

veteran
veteran
I suppose we could stop subverting nature with man-made stuff like clothes and houses. We could all move to the tropics and walk around naked, hunting and gathering.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
In my younger days, I could deal with everyone walking around naked. But you know that wasn't what I meant. Now if your reply means we need to exploit our natural environment to the hilt while trying to control mother nation, so be it.

We can live with mother nature or try to exploit the heck out of her, along with placing way too many people into environments that can't support them.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I suppose we could stop subverting nature with man-made stuff like clothes and houses. We could all move to the tropics and walk around naked, hunting and gathering.

That scenario is entirely possible as our infrastructure crumbles, crops fail and weather changes. The piddling little pandemic we are dealing with will be followed by more, just as the hurricanes, droughts, floods and fires are always followed by more and worse.

I just saw that one of California's de-sal plants is being threatened by the collapse of the land it is built on due to sea level rise...

“The combination of erosion and sea level rise is what’s going to do in much of the San Diego County coast. It makes sense, considering you have a lot of high-value property sitting up on those cliffs.”

Ultimately, infrastructure, including houses, roads and rail lines, entire city blocks, and possibly even a desalination plant and a decommissioned nuclear-power plant, will have to be moved. Homeowners in the region have balked at the term managed retreat, but regardless of what it’s called, some kind of community relocation will have to happen
From The Atlantic

It's a lot more than weather reverting to previous norms. It's a whole new deal. And it will be unrelenting. I've heard that it's actually God's Wrath being rained down upon us because of the Gay Agenda.

It's pretty nice down here in the (sub)tropics. It's been a coolish summer with lots of rain.

Last edited by Greger; 07/29/21 01:42 AM.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jeffery J. Haas), 33 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,211
Posts311,073
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017