Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Winning
by perotista - 10/20/21 12:22 PM
Carbon Sequestration
by logtroll - 10/20/21 11:31 AM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pdx rick - 10/20/21 04:09 AM
Mountain Meadows Massacre
by Mellowicious - 10/20/21 02:41 AM
Where did this car thing start?
by logtroll - 10/20/21 01:39 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 10/20/21 01:04 AM
A Question of Culture
by logtroll - 10/19/21 01:00 PM
Who killed General Colin Powell?
by Ujest Shurly - 10/19/21 10:42 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 10/19/21 12:19 AM
A Musical Quiz
by TatumAH - 10/18/21 09:01 PM
What about the latest Catholic Church fiasco in France?
by pondering_it_all - 10/18/21 08:35 PM
What % of humanity is batsh!t crazy?
by pondering_it_all - 10/18/21 08:33 PM
Southwest, American among Texas businesses defying governor
by pondering_it_all - 10/18/21 08:24 PM
Mobile sign-in issues
by pdx rick - 10/18/21 03:20 AM
Biden Administration Threads not in Current Topics
by Jeffery J. Haas - 10/18/21 03:10 AM
Arizona Audit/Recount 2020 election
by rporter314 - 10/16/21 05:23 PM
opening schools
by Greger - 10/12/21 12:33 PM
Lyrics
by pondering_it_all - 10/10/21 09:04 PM
Miss Navaho Nation
by logtroll - 10/10/21 02:53 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,581,946 my own book page
4,724,227 We shall overcome
3,769,479 Campaign 2016
3,449,921 Trump's Trumpet
2,717,148 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Just knowing your odds should tell people what is smart versus what is bone-headed:
You know, I wasn't going to say it, but there you go again, thinking that most people care about facts!

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
logtroll #334979 08/08/21 12:37 PM
veteran
veteran
To paraphrase Carl Jung; "Thinking is really hard, so the smart people jump directly to judging!"

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
jgw #334981 08/08/21 06:38 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
The simple fact is that we are in a pandemic for the anti-vaccer. If you are not vaccinated then your chances of being in a hospital is pretty good. All the rest is bla, bla, bla People love to feel bad about people dying. However, if its not part of a family or a friend who really cares? What we have here are thousands getting bad covid and many of those actually dying and we know, deep down, that is shameful and sad. However, on the other side are those that have been vaccinated, do not understand why everybody should have done the sale thing and find it very difficult to get too upset with folks who have been told what to do, suggested what to do, been bribed to do the right thing, and begged, by virtually any and all leaders, to take the damned vaccine!

I have decided that I am guilty of all of the above, as one who has been vaccinated. My only real concern is when they are going to come up with a booster for those of us who have now been vaccinated for over 6 months and are old. Given what experts are saying its time, right now! Sorry, my greed for my life is on a kindofa straight track.

I am also told, as one of the vaccinated, that I am somehow responsible for the anti-vaxxers and need to wear a mask all the time to save their collective butts. That is, as far as I can tell what its all about! The vaccinated are now responsible for the anti-vaccers. Sorry, not buying that one. They seem determined to not only make sure they get covid but also that their children get it and be killed by it! I feel bad about that but they are the responsible ones, not those of us that have been vaccinated!

I also wonder if the governor of Florida is actually going to send his kids into schools without a mask.

jgw #334983 08/08/21 07:21 PM
veteran
veteran
Well, the ultimate penalty for stupidity has always been death. That is human nature. In some ways, this cull benefits those who remain. For example:

Newsmax Host Dead from Covid-19

Former Newsmax host and right-wing Florida radio commentator Dick Farrel — who mocked vaccines, the “scamdemic” and “lying freak” Dr. Anthony Fauci — has died of COVID-19.

So are we better off with this toxic influencer dead? Even if he did text friends from his deathbed to get vaccinated, presumably because he couldn't speak with the breathing tube in his throat. Dead Republican voters are one thing, but mass media jerks like this Dick may deserve it. When the data about the relative risk of being vaccinated or not came out a few months ago, I stopped fearing or being angry at anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers. My feelings changed to pity. But a few of them may just be asking for it.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, the ultimate penalty for stupidity has always been death. That is human nature. In some ways, this cull benefits those who remain. For example:

Newsmax Host Dead from Covid-19

Former Newsmax host and right-wing Florida radio commentator Dick Farrel — who mocked vaccines, the “scamdemic” and “lying freak” Dr. Anthony Fauci — has died of COVID-19.

So are we better off with this toxic influencer dead? Even if he did text friends from his deathbed to get vaccinated, presumably because he couldn't speak with the breathing tube in his throat. Dead Republican voters are one thing, but mass media jerks like this Dick may deserve it. When the data about the relative risk of being vaccinated or not came out a few months ago, I stopped fearing or being angry at anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers. My feelings changed to pity. But a few of them may just be asking for it.

I should have bookmarked it but yesterday I read about a guy whose mother spent two months in ICU and finally passed away from COVID, then HE got COVID, and HE ALSO spent time in ICU, he recovered...and he STILL won't get the vaccine.
And then there's Right Said Fred, the "I'm too sexy for my shirt" guy, caught COVID, says "It wasn't so bad, not getting the shots".

Yeah, I'd file those under "Asking for it".

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
jgw #335167 08/21/21 07:59 PM
veteran
veteran
Pondering, I am with you when you say that your feelings (my anger) have turned to pity. It’s the only time I’ve ever wanted to use the phrase “pity the fool.”

Oops. I jumped the gun. There’s still some anger mixed in with the pity, or that other phrase (“you dumb sumb**ch”] wouldn’t be coming to mind so often.

Julia
“It’s the shipwreck that leads you to the magical island.”
(Trevor Noah)
veteran
veteran
he STILL won't get the vaccine
It's not so important as long as he had Covid-19 and then recovered. That's like getting a really dangerous vaccine. He has some immunity. His antibodies may not be as high as if he did get a vaccine now, but his T and B cells are primed. Researchers have found that natural infection followed months later by one vaccination gives you really high antibody levels, but still it's silly to require people to get vaccinated after they already had Covid-19. That should be a reasonable medical exemption.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
he STILL won't get the vaccine
It's not so important as long as he had Covid-19 and then recovered. That's like getting a really dangerous vaccine. He has some immunity. His antibodies may not be as high as if he did get a vaccine now, but his T and B cells are primed. Researchers have found that natural infection followed months later by one vaccination gives you really high antibody levels, but still it's silly to require people to get vaccinated after they already had Covid-19. That should be a reasonable medical exemption.

Disagree because Leon Russell's sister-in-law passed away because she caught COVID, recovered and then got hit again, and this time it took her out. Obviously it was a variant and her natural antibodies weren't as ready as one might think.
The vaccines are safe and I'd like to think it's cheap insurance.
I know one thing, I am going for the third booster ASAP and so is Karen.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

Conservative Radio Host Phil Valentine dies of COVID

Phil railed against wearing masks and getting vaxxed. Now he can enjoy some pizza with Herman Cain. coffee

Contrarian, extraordinaire

jgw #335186 08/23/21 01:24 AM
veteran
veteran
It's all a crap shoot, with different odds for different points. "Extremely rare" does you no good if you are the poor bastard who dies or gets seriously ill. In my posts, I'm talking about the whole population. But if you are immunocompromised, by all means get a booster. Researchers have found that transplant patients on immunosuppressive drugs who failed to mount any antibodies from a second vaccination had a mixed response to a third: Some did make antibodies, some did not. It probably depends on your CD4 T-cell level. It does not require a normal level (from personal experience), but it does take some level.

My CD4s were so low, my doc told me to stop taking an MS drug around December 2019. By vaccination time, they had recovered enough to make plenty of antibodies. Your mileage may vary. You can check your antibody levels by getting a spike antibody test. I would consider getting one before the booster, and then another a couple of months later to see what the booster did. Less than $100 each at Quest Diagnostics. In any event, another booster is extremely unlikely to harm you.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 33 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,218
Posts311,269
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017