Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 10/18/21 05:03 PM
Where did this car thing start?
by Greger - 10/18/21 04:39 PM
Winning
by Greger - 10/18/21 03:44 PM
A Question of Culture
by Mellowicious - 10/18/21 02:54 PM
A Musical Quiz
by Greger - 10/18/21 02:13 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pdx rick - 10/18/21 03:37 AM
What % of humanity is batsh!t crazy?
by pdx rick - 10/18/21 03:31 AM
Mobile sign-in issues
by pdx rick - 10/18/21 03:20 AM
Biden Administration Threads not in Current Topics
by Jeffery J. Haas - 10/18/21 03:10 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 10/17/21 01:58 PM
Arizona Audit/Recount 2020 election
by rporter314 - 10/16/21 05:23 PM
opening schools
by Greger - 10/12/21 12:33 PM
Lyrics
by pondering_it_all - 10/10/21 09:04 PM
Miss Navaho Nation
by logtroll - 10/10/21 02:53 PM
Section 230
by jgw - 10/08/21 08:09 PM
Constitutional Convention
by jgw - 10/06/21 05:41 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,574,695 my own book page
4,722,585 We shall overcome
3,766,688 Campaign 2016
3,447,159 Trump's Trumpet
2,712,599 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
In colder weather that could work, but in Southern California I can skip showering one night but I feel a little scrungy in the morning. Put on deodorant over old deodorant feels nasty. Skipping two nights would not work at all. For one thing, my sheets would develop a very distinct BO stink.

I suppose my dogs would like it, they tend to roll in coyote poop or anything sufficiently stinky. My wife wouldn't.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
Skipping showers probably works best when you live alone.

I live alone.

I stopped driving altogether and gave away my car.

Meat consumption is drastically reduced as eggs continue to be my main source of protein.

Just installed a natural gas tankless water heater.

Just downsized from a 2100sqft to an 1100sqft house.

I recycle carefully. Many plastics are best sent to the landfill.

Planning to switch to induction cooking soon and get a more efficient oven.

Considering solar but it's a shady industry here so I'm waiting for things to change.

Carbon footprints are expensive, each time I reduce mine I have more money in my pocket.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by logtroll
I’m working on fomenting a Civilian Climate Corps “pilot project” in my community. AKA “Things You Can Do” to fight climate change. The meat of it will spin around ecological restoration and increasing soil carbon while displacing fossil fuel burning - without dramatic scare mongering and perceived threats to “lifestyle”.

Spent half of Friday and all day Saturday at a "Climathon" workshop. The focus was on composting food and other biological 'waste' as a means to deal with global warming. About 30 people attended, which is pretty good for a small community like mine. During the course of the event we divided up into teams to compete for prize money for the best project idea. My team took first, sharing $800, and the project was my Civilian Climate Corps concept. The best part was that it was a chance for me to present the idea to a large group of locals and to recruit collaborating participants. We'll also be guests on a one hour radio program later this week to pitch the project.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
veteran
veteran
Passive solar hot water has been very common in Florida for decades, but very hard to do if you live in rental or multiunit property. I've bought some induction hotplates on Amazon lately. They are incredibly cheap, and have some amazing capabilities. You can set them for time or a maximum temperature, so they might be able to do sous vide all by themselves! Or not burn your food. They are also faster than gas or electric cooktops! It's true. I saw a real-time test on YouTube where a guy boiled the same size pot of water with a great big gas burner and with a <$100 induction hotplate. Induction was faster.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
veteran
veteran
This is something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. I’ve read that about 90% of consumer-recycled plastic isn’t recycled; it’s trashed. My apartment complex doesn’t even have a facility for recycling plastic.

I have a friend who’s been vegan for years because, he says,
Meat is not sustainable - and he’s right. On the other hand, I know that beef at slaughter yield about 1400 lbs each. Even if I eat 200 lbs of beef a year, which I believe to be a real overstatement, if I stop eating beef entirely it will have the general effect of a fart in a windstorm - that windstorm being 7.6 BILLION pounds, from this state alone.

Until industry (including industrial farming) makes massive changes, until products are made and packaged with something other than plastic, I really have a hard time seeing how my actions can make a difference.

Last edited by Mellowicious; 08/18/21 11:08 PM.

Julia
“It’s the shipwreck that leads you to the magical island.”
(Trevor Noah)
1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hello, Mellow…. laugh

R. Buckminster Fuller
1 member likes this: Mellowicious
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Until industry (including industrial farming) makes massive changes, until products are made and packaged with something other than plastic, I really have a hard time seeing how my actions can make a difference.

Understood, and let me say that your participation here makes a huge difference. I am so grateful to see you here again.
Hugs and much love, and I hope you've been able to stay safe from the virus.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
1 member likes this: Mellowicious
veteran
veteran
Welcome back!

In terms of plastic packaging, I'm happy to see Amazon is using more recycled paper bags, and paper tape for small things. They still use really irritating plastic padded bags that are a bitch to open. I also tend to ask the butchers at my favorite supermarket to wrap meat for me. They use butcher paper and paper tape, so I can avoid the plastic trays and shrinkwrap. We do have recycle pickup, and you can put metal, cardboard, junk mail, and labelled plastic containers in there. Still plenty of things that have to go in the landfill, though.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by logtroll
My community has educated and experienced people with 20-30 years experience in all of the related fields of expertise, so my CCC pilot project is to get us better organized and get some participation from our political “leaders” (difficulty #1 is to convince them to follow us...). Instead of waiting for a dysfunctional and awkward government program to materialize that will be “managed” by an army of bureaucrats who have very little understanding of what needs to be done, I hope to have communities like mine show the way.
The first concept conversation of the Gila CCC will be held tomorrow afternoon. About 12 community leaders in personal action are expected to attend. The objective is to outline a substantial project based on this vision:
Establishment of a Civilian Climate Corps Pilot Program creating a circular bio-economy that transforms local waste biomass into carbon solutions

The program will divert community food waste from the landfill and utilize surplus woody carbon materials to produce a biochar enhanced, fungal rich compost. This will be applied locally for wild land restoration, municipal edible landscaping and community garden projects, home gardens and regenerative agriculture sites. Research and educational aspects will empower participants with knowledge and skills for a hopeful future. Intended to easily transfer to other communities, this model promises to be a template for a national Civilian Climate Corps.

R. Buckminster Fuller
veteran
veteran
This is…cool.

Julia
“It’s the shipwreck that leads you to the magical island.”
(Trevor Noah)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 33 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod