Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pondering_it_all - 12/01/21 08:36 PM
Winning
by perotista - 12/01/21 08:16 PM
Denialism
by Greger - 12/01/21 07:56 PM
I’ll Buy That
by Greger - 12/01/21 07:22 PM
A Musical Quiz
by logtroll - 12/01/21 11:35 AM
What's for dinner?
by Greger - 11/30/21 11:09 PM
Boundaries for Facebook
by jgw - 11/30/21 06:26 PM
Pacific Northwest Weather
by pdx rick - 11/28/21 08:59 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by logtroll - 11/28/21 01:25 PM
Republicans promise brutal revenge in 2022
by pdx rick - 11/27/21 08:45 PM
masks and vaccinations
by logtroll - 11/27/21 01:36 PM
Vigilantism - why isn’t it illegal?
by logtroll - 11/25/21 11:46 PM
"Mom, I think it's a boy."
by TatumAH - 11/25/21 04:37 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 11/23/21 10:17 PM
You don't know beans! vs Killer Beans
by TatumAH - 11/23/21 08:37 PM
Moderna trying to ignore 1.5 billion dollar investment
by Jeffery J. Haas - 11/23/21 03:03 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,684,809 my own book page
4,780,289 We shall overcome
3,867,325 Campaign 2016
3,528,358 Trump's Trumpet
2,792,312 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#335392 08/30/21 09:24 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Did I hear that right?

I was listening to NPR’s “All Things Considered” a few minutes ago, a piece on Louisiana hospitals, Ida, and COVID. At the end of the interview, the NPR reporter closed with “‘We’ll pray for you.”

I’ve never heard anyone on NPR close a story with anything resembling a religious remark. And I could have sworn there was a second’s pause while the host tried not to react.

Anyone else hear this? Find it at all unusual?

Julia
“It’s the shipwreck that leads you to the magical island.”
(Trevor Noah)
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
**Mumbles a prayer to the Orcish gods**

A figure of speech, nothing more...

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yours, or hers?

Julia
(Trevor Noah)
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We're a long ways from stamping out religion, and among practitioners, the offering of prayers is a heartfelt wish for the well-being of others.

For those needing the prayers is it often a small thing that gives them hope...that others are calling upon higher powers, such as they be, to lend whatever help they might.

But the question isn't really about religion...it's about whether it is appropriate for an NPR radio host to be offering them up over the airwaves.

As long as they don't get preachy or mention any gods in particular I'm alright with it on rare natural disaster occasions. Thoughts and prayers are always appreciated whether they do any good or not.

Congress members, on the other hand, have the power to offer up far more than thoughts and prayers but that's about anybody ever gets out of them.

Are you familiar with Reiki...?
Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy

It's pretty obviously batshit quackery and it's pretty exactly the same strange principle that prayer and higher powers are based on. But it has been demonstrated to work so many times that the VA now offers to veterans.

I didn't believe in Reiki until I experienced it. I don't believe any of the hocus pocus bullsh*t. I am pagan. I worship a rock and I expect it to do what large rocks do. Reiki is a head rush like no other!

Now, here's an odd story that happened a few months ago....I was walking my dog downtown, in my power chair, when a met a young man with a spring in his step and a smile on his face. The Bible under his arm informed me that this kid was high as f*ck on Jesus.

Now I reckon me in my wheelchair with my ancient hound dog are a pretty pathetic sight. Somebody that looks like they need all the prayers they can get. And so he approached me.

He introduced himself and offered to pray over me...Knowing it would make his day better and his smile even wider I let him. I'm that kinda guy, y'know...?

He held his Bible in one hand and put his other hand on my shoulder, and he began to pray! Loudly and with passion.

And then I felt it...Reiki

Almost like an electric shock. I can see how another man might be fooled by those shenanigans.

Anyway, Reiki can be done from a distance and anonymously, thoughts and prayers might actually work. In practice, it is nothing more than genuinely wishing for the well-being of someone. Nothing mystical about it, perhaps a not yet understood connection between humans...we might act like we know everything but there is much yet to learn.

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
Religious belief in "another place" when one dies is a comfort for many and harms nobody (for the most part). All the rest doesn't matter as that's the big draw (for a LOT of people!)

veteran
veteran
That NPR reporter probably should have said: "I'll pray for you." Instead of "we". That made it sound as if NPR is some sort of religious organization, which it's not. Maybe the "we" he was referring to was him and his spouse? His prayer circle?

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah yes, That Great By and By. It's a wonderful fantasy and you can't blame anybody for clinging to it.

And I think it's possible to believe it on the one hand while knowing full well it's nonsense on the other.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
That NPR reporter probably should have said: "I'll pray for you." Instead of "we". That made it sound as if NPR is some sort of religious organization, which it's not. Maybe the "we" he was referring to was him and his spouse? His prayer circle?

She may have said “we” or “I” - I was so gobsmacked by the second half of the sentence that 8 wasn’t paying much attention to the first.

jgw- harms nobody? Probably true, unless you count aggravation as harm. I ha$ a tough time getting through my father’s funeral because he was a nonbeliever and no one was willing to leave it at that. My favorite aunt’s funeral was also difficult; she was a lifelong member of the Church of the Blond-haired blue-eyed Jesus holding a lamb.

I try very hard not to thrust my atheism on anyone, and I wish others would keep their beliefs to themselves as well - especially when those beliefs are stated in a way that demands polite agreement.

Grrr. I’m sorry. I spent the afternoon with someone very dear to me. She has Alzheimer’s. I realized on the way home that the only use I could have for God is as a target for my anger.

Julia
(Trevor Noah)
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
(Well, heck, it’s called “rant” for a reason, innit?!)

Julia
(Trevor Noah)
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
Are you familiar with Reiki...?
Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive.

My wife Karen!
No, not sexual....not this.
All I can say is, no matter how crappy I feel, if she hugs me and runs her hands all over my back, I feel the life force soothing me from head to toe.

Get your minds out of the gutter, I said I wasn't talking about sexual stuff! LOL

I'm serious here, I really mean it, Karen gives good reiki.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61