Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pondering_it_all - 11/28/21 10:36 PM
Winning
by perotista - 11/28/21 10:26 PM
Denialism
by NW Ponderer - 11/28/21 10:24 PM
Pacific Northwest Weather
by pdx rick - 11/28/21 08:59 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by logtroll - 11/28/21 01:25 PM
A Musical Quiz
by logtroll - 11/28/21 11:07 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by TatumAH - 11/28/21 06:19 AM
What's for dinner?
by TatumAH - 11/28/21 01:08 AM
Republicans promise brutal revenge in 2022
by pdx rick - 11/27/21 08:45 PM
Boundaries for Facebook
by jgw - 11/27/21 06:56 PM
masks and vaccinations
by logtroll - 11/27/21 01:36 PM
Vigilantism - why isn’t it illegal?
by logtroll - 11/25/21 11:46 PM
"Mom, I think it's a boy."
by TatumAH - 11/25/21 04:37 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 11/23/21 10:17 PM
You don't know beans! vs Killer Beans
by TatumAH - 11/23/21 08:37 PM
Moderna trying to ignore 1.5 billion dollar investment
by Jeffery J. Haas - 11/23/21 03:03 AM
The other side of shipping
by Mellowicious - 11/21/21 10:52 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,679,326 my own book page
4,777,916 We shall overcome
3,862,837 Campaign 2016
3,524,836 Trump's Trumpet
2,787,995 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Vaccine Refusers Don’t Get to Dictate Terms Anymore (The Atlantic, Subscription) "People who opt out of shots shouldn’t expect their employers, health insurers, and fellow citizens to accommodate them."

I think the tide is turning in a big way, as this article notes:

"For months, institutions and companies have been drafting plans to aggressively promote vaccination or require it outright, and last week the FDA gave them license to click the “Send” button. The same day the agency granted full approval to the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, New York City’s public school system announced that its teachers and other employees will be required to get shots. The next day, Louisiana State University made a similar demand of its students and faculty. Within about 24 hours of the FDA move, other major employers, such as Chevron and Goldman Sachs, rolled out new vaccine mandates. In a novel twist, Delta Air Lines announced that it would impose a $200-a-month health-insurance surcharge on unvaccinated employees. Regardless of the reasons for their hesitancy, unvaccinated employees will literally have to pay for it.

What all of these decisions show is that the adults running major institutions in our society want to move forward, and they are done waiting around for vaccine refusers to change their mind. Outside of executive suites and human-resources offices, plenty of other Americans are also craving more certainty. Bars and restaurants that want to stay open are beginning to check vaccination cards—at least in states where supposedly freedom-loving lawmakers haven’t forbidden private businesses from keeping their own customers and employees safe. Couples throwing weddings are demanding that their guests upload proof of vaccination. These people disinviting their anti-vaxxer relatives are saying something important: Getting a shot to protect yourself and others from COVID-19 is both a social responsibility and the best way to hasten the end of the pandemic, and if you don’t believe that, we’re not waiting around for you to step up."

The Department of Education is stepping up, too: Education Department investigating ...ons for prohibiting school mask mandates (CNN)

"The Department's Office for Civil Rights sent letters to the chief state school officials in five states -- Iowa, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Utah -- notifying them of the new investigations into whether these state mask restrictions prevent students with disabilities from "safely returning to in-person education, in violation of Federal law."

Opening this kind of investigation, the department said, "does not imply that OCR has decided whether there has been a violation of a law that OCR enforces."

Investigations have not yet been opened in Florida, Texas, Arkansas, or Arizona "because those states' bans on universal indoor masking are not currently being enforced as a result of court orders or other state actions," the agency also noted in its release, adding that "the Department will continue to closely monitor those states and is prepared to take action if state leaders prevent local schools or districts from implementing universal indoor masking in schools or if the current court decisions were to be reversed."

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Guess who is pushing back the hardest, other than Trumpers?
POLICE and FIRE unions.

There's so many that it takes a Google Search to list them all.

It's going to take a tidal wave of class action lawsuits to make them comply.
This is actionable in court as reckless endangerment of the public, who they are sworn to protect.
Hmmm, EDIT - - - Now that I think about it, it's also a denial of a person's civil rights because if I'm not mistaken I have the RIGHT to defend myself against persons intent on doing me harm, and an unvaccinated person in a position of authority can do me lots of harm by nothing more than taking me into custody and forcing me into close quarters in a patrol car while they spew their virus particles all over me.

Last edited by Jeffery J. Haas; 08/31/21 05:20 AM.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
veteran
veteran
Sometimes my head just spins....

I always watch World News with David Muir in the evening.
Tonight back to back stories.....new laws essentially banning all abortions in Texas.... next the number of lawsuits over mask mandates.
Cripe. Why can't I drink and drive?

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by olyve

Tonight back to back stories.....new laws essentially banning all abortions in Texas.... next the number of lawsuits over mask mandates.

Okay. I’m stealing this to jumpstart a new thread.

Julia
“It’s the shipwreck that leads you to the magical island.”
(Trevor Noah)
I find it really strange that vaccines has become political. That I don't understand. Perhaps that in itself tells how inept I am at understanding party politics. But here's the latest from Gallup.

Update: American Public Opinion and Vaccination Requirements

https://news.gallup.com/poll/354506...nt=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

The third graph down is the breakdown by political party. From the article, poll above.

Americans' political identity is strongly related to their opinions about vaccine requirements, echoing similar partisan differences on such issues as vaccination hesitancy, mask requirements and the importance of COVID-19 as the nation's top problem. Very large majorities of Democrats are in favor of each of the five vaccination requirements tested, while slightly smaller, but still substantial, majorities of Republicans are opposed to each. Independents are more evenly divided, although majorities of independents are opposed to four of the situations, with a precise 50/50 split in opinions about requiring vaccinations for air travel.

Just check out the third graph, the number of independents opposed is another big surprise to me.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
veteran
veteran
If I was a sociopath, I would say this is wonderful. Fewer Republicans left to clog up the works by winning elections, after many die from Covid-19. I wonder how it happened that they were manipulated into becoming a suicide cult, despite Trump pushing vaccine development, getting vaccinated himself, and telling them to get vaccinated.

Since I'm not a sociopath, I hope as the death toll mounts they will see the error of their ways. Then they can get vaccinated and live to vote again.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
1 member likes this: pdx rick
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
15 Miami-Dade school staffers die of COVID in 10 days: report
NBC 6 Miami

On Friday, NBC 6 Miami reported that 15 staffers and educators in the Miami-Dade County school system have died of COVID 19 - just in the past ten days.

Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
..Fewer Republicans left to clog up the works by winning elections, after many die from Covid-19. .
Darwinism. coffee

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
...it [is] really strange that vaccines has become political..
Is it?

SEE: Donald Trump and his merry clan of misfits

smile

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by olyve

How dare government take my right away of being propelled through my windshield in a head-on crash by requiring me to wear a seat belt! laugh

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Greger), 39 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,251
Posts312,799
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017