Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Summertime Roundtable
by pdx rick - 09/22/21 02:12 AM
Gerrymandering
by pdx rick - 09/22/21 02:03 AM
Vaccine Refusers Don’t Get to Dictate Terms Anymore
by Jeffery J. Haas - 09/21/21 06:49 PM
New Texas law
by pdx rick - 09/21/21 02:09 PM
Afghanistan
by pdx rick - 09/20/21 07:59 PM
25,000 Employees sue Disneyland for better pay
by Greger - 09/20/21 04:46 PM
Did I hear that right?
by Greger - 09/19/21 03:49 PM
Masks, after vaxx, after delta
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:54 PM
The Lawlessness is the Point
by pondering_it_all - 09/18/21 11:32 PM
Winning
by perotista - 09/14/21 01:06 PM
CRISIS ALERT!!
by logtroll - 09/13/21 01:10 PM
How did Common Sense Die?
by logtroll - 09/13/21 12:45 PM
World Travel via GeoGuessr
by pdx rick - 09/12/21 09:35 PM
Trial/no trials, 9/11
by Mellowicious - 09/12/21 04:46 PM
Le Shrooms
by Jeffery J. Haas - 09/12/21 04:41 PM
Who are the Taliban?
by pdx rick - 09/11/21 04:56 AM
my own book page
by Mellowicious - 09/07/21 03:21 PM
Sidesism
by Mellowicious - 09/06/21 12:02 AM
Jan 6 Select Committee Hearings - are you watching
by pondering_it_all - 09/04/21 11:49 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,505,993 my own book page
4,679,548 We shall overcome
3,692,394 Campaign 2016
3,386,761 Trump's Trumpet
2,665,642 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this headline: Justice Amy Coney Barrett says Supreme Court is 'not a bunch of partisan hacks' (CNN). It got worse as I read the article.

"My goal today is to convince you that this court is not comprised of a bunch of partisan hacks," the conservative Barrett said, according to the Louisville Courier Journal. She said the high court is defined by "judicial philosophies" instead of personal political views.
"Judicial philosophies are not the same as political parties," Barrett said.

Word is, she actually managed that with a straight face. I am absolutely not convinced.

Barrett said that while she may not like results of her decisions, "it's not my job to decide cases based on the outcome I want," the newspaper reported.
"The media, along with hot takes on Twitter, report the results and decisions," Barrett later said. "That makes the decision seem results-oriented. It leaves the reader to judge whether the court was right or wrong, based on whether she liked the results of the decision."

I have rarely seen this level of blatant hypocrisy anywhere. Just amazing gaslighting.

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 09/13/21 02:50 PM.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Online Happy
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
"My goal today is to convince you that this court is not comprised of a bunch of partisan hacks,"

If you find yourself on TELEVISION attempting to do damage control by uttering "We're not partisan hacks", it's kinda like that time the Santa Monica Public Library realized that they HAD to install signs above every urinal telling people to NOT steal the urinal cakes. eek2

Too late, Amy hitsfan Obviously the Court is now aware of the fact that many in the public view them as precisely that.
And no amount of apologetics is going to get those stolen urinal cakes back.

Oh and, how bout that Justice Breyer? He says he "doesn't intend to die on the bench".
Famous last words.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Ginsberg didn't intend to either.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
veteran
veteran
The Supreme Court is NOT a bunch of partisan hacks. Just six of them. And the Chief Justices is really good at hiding his long game.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, she did. She was well aware that her cancer was terminal and that her days were numbered...

But like a lot of other old powerful people, she refused to step aside.

Republicans absolutely DO NOT think that the court is a bunch of partisan hacks. They think that notion is pure nonsense.

What Democrats want is a bunch of their partisan hacks on the bench.

Independents are divided about evenly on the matter.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
Online Happy
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
What Democrats want is a bunch of their partisan hacks on the bench.

Disagree. That goes against everything I believe about sane conservatives.
I want BALANCE.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I agree completely. And that's exactly what a bench filled with Democratic partisan hacks would deliver. Balance.

I'd be okay with that because I don't really remember ever having it in my lifetime.

"...everything I believe about sane conservatives."

I don't believe in "sane" conservatives. Democrats are "sane conservatives".

Republicans have retreated into a dark and dubious world where only Donald Trump and FOX News can be trusted to deliver the Truth.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger

Yes, she did.
You are right. Just not when she did.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I think we too often use "Republican" and "Democrat" party labels as stand-ins for other meanings - conservative, liberal, progressive, revanchist. It does a disservice to our discourse.

What Coney Barrett is trying to do is leverage that ambiguity to obfuscate reality. The "conservatives" on the bench are not conservative in a judicial sense, nor do they have a real "Judicial philosophy". They are trying to use brute force to change the law of the land to favor "those that brung 'em." She is a bald-faced liar about that, maybe to herself, but certainly to the world. There is no consistent principle that explains the flip-flops on stays, or death penalty cases, or religion cases. Their existence demonstrates that. The pattern is obvious and her shouting lies into the wind doesn't change that. The radicals are in charge now, and they intend to use their numbers to prove it by every means at their disposal, rule of law be damned.

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 09/16/21 03:19 PM.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
There are a lot of articles making fun of Justice Barrett, but I think this one is the best analysis of just how cynically hypocritical her comments were: How Amy Coney Barrett might know she's a political hack (WaPo, Opinion, Subscription)

"The declaration might be a tad more credible if she had not chosen to appear in an overtly political setting. University of Texas law professor Steve Vladeck tells me: “I’m hard-pressed to imagine a worse place to give a speech about the court not being partisan than . . . at an event in which she was introduced by Senator McConnell. It’s either remarkably tone-deaf or it’s deliberate. Neither is encouraging.”

And it might be a tad more credible if it did not come just days after she and her fellow conservatives on the bench used the “shadow docket” to allow Texas’s antiabortion law to go into effect. Shredded by Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s dissent, no one could honestly think the order was guided solely on procedural grounds."
"Constitutional scholar Joshua Matz thinks Barrett’s speech ignores several key factors. “First, it asks us to ignore the outrageous, dishonorable and overtly partisan tactics that created the current conservative supermajority,” he tells me. “Second, it asks us to overlook the court’s startling lurch toward ‘shadow docket’ rulings issued in the dark of night, which (as Justice [Elena] Kagan recently observed) 'every day [becomes] more unreasoned, inconsistent, and impossible to defend.” Matz explains that Barrett’s speech also “fails to grapple with the fact that the court’s decision-making has skewed sharply to the right based solely on a change in personnel, as evidenced by the profoundly flawed decision issued last term gutting a key provision of the Voting Rights Act.” Matz adds, “Finally, it misses the fact that several prominent voices on the court appear to have changed their tunes on signature issues (including national injunctions and the proper judicial role in reviewing immigration/asylum policy) since a new administration came into office.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jeffery J. Haas), 43 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,190
Posts310,059
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017