RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pondering_it_all - 12/04/21 02:07 AM
Winning
by perotista - 12/04/21 12:50 AM
... doubt is our product...
by chunkstyle - 12/03/21 05:09 PM
Denialism
by Greger - 12/03/21 03:37 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
I’ll Buy That
by Greger - 12/01/21 07:22 PM
Boundaries for Facebook
by jgw - 11/30/21 06:26 PM
Pacific Northwest Weather
by pdx rick - 11/28/21 08:59 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by logtroll - 11/28/21 01:25 PM
Republicans promise brutal revenge in 2022
by pdx rick - 11/27/21 08:45 PM
masks and vaccinations
by logtroll - 11/27/21 01:36 PM
Vigilantism - why isn’t it illegal?
by logtroll - 11/25/21 11:46 PM
"Mom, I think it's a boy."
by TatumAH - 11/25/21 04:37 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 11/23/21 10:17 PM
You don't know beans! vs Killer Beans
by TatumAH - 11/23/21 08:37 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,688,221 my own book page
4,785,069 We shall overcome
3,871,124 Campaign 2016
3,531,278 Trump's Trumpet
2,795,511 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#338760 11/24/21 10:23 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I think everybody knows that many of our problems are due to Social Media and loons. Not much can be done about the loons but social media is a bit different. I have been observing Facebook, for instance, requesting that the government provide boundaries that Facebook can use. I find this pretty interesting. Facebook is, pretty much the butt of whines from legislators and concerned all the time because Facebook has done this and that which is terrible. It just goes on and on.

Instead of Mark Zuckerberg mentioning a preference for gov creating boundaries for Facebook every now and then (he started this a very long time ago) I have noticed that Facebook itself is now putting ads requesting gov to provide boundaries with some frequency and that plea is being absolutely ignored by, as far as I can tell, every whiner about the evils of social media.

I would also point out that its a rare thing when somebody under the gun for all sorts of terrible things is actually requesting that gov do something about it (and getting no response whatsoever as far as I can tell).

Just thought I would throw this one out and see what happens............

This site and a couple of other political sites is the closest I've ever come to utilizing social media. That is if social media means things like twitter and facebook.
Now I seen a ton of post about social media, but never responded to any of them as they were always referring to twitter, facebook or something else I never heard of.

Does e-mail count as social media?

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
veteran
veteran
The problem for social media companies is that most (if not all) of their content is not under their control. But I say screw them: They created the medium that lets others supply the content. When they get sued enough, they will figure out that publishing with out vetting what you are publishing is not a good business model.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Actually law suits against social media is not all that productive. Its yet another thing that can get fixed if gov gets off its dead ass and does its job. These places need boundaries and they are, obviously, not going to do that on their own. They know this, so does gov. The problem is that gov isn't going to do anything as far as I can tell but whine, threaten, and ignore.

Social media will continue to skate up until the time when gov regulates them. Right now its wide open I don't think that's either right or healthy for everybody. I wonder. Yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre is not, I think, a law. But, if somebody does that, and somebody gets hurt they can (I think) sue the yeller. On social media, however, yelling is the norm along with lies, wishing, and a LOT of yelling!

its all very strange to me. Why in the world would anybody believe anything they see on social media to the point where they are willing to literally fight over something some stranger says which has absolutely nothing to do with truth or even common sense. I believe, for instance, that stances by anti-vaxxers harms everybody, has absolutely little or nothing to do with freedom yet something like 30% of our population supports this activity to the point that they are literally dying over this stuff for absolutely no reason! We may actually be moving towards a world wherein we seem to be actually approaching the world displayed in the movie "Idiocracy" (available for free all over the net, 1906 movie).

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by jgw
We may actually be moving towards a world wherein we seem to be actually approaching the world displayed in the movie "Idiocracy" (available for free all over the net, 1906 movie).

The director of that movie, Mike Judge, says he's shocked at how quickly his satire started to become real.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
veteran
veteran
If you’re looking for a decent read, try “The Circle” by Dave Eggers. One major social media company is taking over the world, largely by constant camera surveillance and instant feedback. Yes, it sounds like older books, but “The Circle” shows how the company manipulates all its users into giving up their rights, their relationships, and their freedom.

I think a sequel just came out.

Julia
“It’s the shipwreck that leads you to the magical island.”
(Trevor Noah)
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
It would seem that the healthcare system is well on its way, when there is a decision to let the heart attack victim or the unvaccinated into the hospital the heart attack victim wins. I have been told, and have read, that those working in hospitals are tired of taking care of those who don't want to take care of themselves at the risk of somebody who does take care of themselves getting treatment. Its also my understanding that this is gaining when it comes to that kind of decision.

Can't say I blame them. Now its time to say it, right out loud, so that the anti vaccine folks understand. Seems fair to me. I also wonder if our tax dollars continue to pay for their hospital visits because they refuse a free vaccination. If that's still true then it also should stop!

They seem to be, as far as I can tell, responsible for the ongoing onslaught of Covid and the ongoing variants. Its pretty apparent that almost everybody expects a really bad variant. I have also been told that the variant thing is ongoing and regular but most just don't survive. I don't think something worse is here yet but they are probably right. The dumping of the stock markets is a good example of that one. I think its a sad thing that so many are determined to kill themselves because they are entitled to, inspite of the the simple fact that if they keep it up there is a possibility we all die. This does not give me much delight.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,254
Posts313,046
Members6,297