Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Texas hostages
by Mellowicious - 01/16/22 09:02 PM
Winning
by perotista - 01/16/22 04:53 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by chunkstyle - 01/16/22 03:45 PM
Round Table Winter 2021
by pondering_it_all - 01/16/22 12:18 PM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pondering_it_all - 01/16/22 12:02 PM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 01/15/22 06:21 PM
Lindsey v. Mitch: Senate cage match
by logtroll - 01/15/22 05:11 AM
Don't look up
by jgw - 01/14/22 10:42 PM
Complexity Science
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/12/22 06:34 PM
What's for dinner?
by pondering_it_all - 01/02/22 09:37 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/02/22 04:21 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 12/31/21 01:56 AM
Gimme some of that good ol time religion
by pondering_it_all - 12/23/21 08:19 PM
F.D.A. Will Permanently Allow Abortion Pills by Mail
by Mellowicious - 12/22/21 09:03 PM
Joe Manchin thread
by perotista - 12/22/21 08:33 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by logtroll - 12/22/21 01:00 AM
Texas abortion law guy responds
by Mellowicious - 12/19/21 02:06 AM
The Mueller Report
by pondering_it_all - 12/17/21 10:31 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,781,870 my own book page
4,857,258 We shall overcome
3,971,313 Campaign 2016
3,615,268 Trump's Trumpet
2,867,002 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
veteran
veteran
L
If he lights the piles from the top there will be less smoke, less ashes, more biochar, and less damage to the soil.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
That's exactly what I told him and even provided links confirming it. He asked me if I had ever tried to light a large pile of green vegetation from the top. I admitted that I had not, and suggested that he let the pile dry out over the winter and burn it from the top in the spring, and I looked forward to help with the ignition. He is tantalized by the Amazon Dark Earth article we have been sharing. He has a large solar panel array on his barn and an advanced heat exchange heating and cooling system using his nearby large pond. Stay tuned.

I found this article and series of comments on using ash in the garden. It is interesting that many of the comments back in 2012 or so and later are dismissive of "global warming" and the main defense of open pile burning was that burning vegetation is carbon neutral and "natures" way. Mainly they are discussing potassium in ash, which should have already leached out of his ash piles in the rain.

TAT

K my ash in the Vegetable Garden rolleyes

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
1 member likes this: logtroll
L
veteran
veteran
L
If the person in the link had holes near the top of his incinerator instead of at the bottom, the device would make a good deal of biochar, as well.

R. Buckminster Fuller
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
Confronted with large piles of wood burning heterogeneous material, methods of harvesting biochar from such mixtures were sought. It looks like fluidized beds in air can be used to essentially "pan" black gold out of wood ash residues.
What could go worng with columns of ash residues and high velocity air?
grin hitsfan

TAT

Biochar from wood ash residues

Wood ash residues are a complex ternary mixture of small stones, biochar particles and ash. The present application shows how a combination of physical separation processes can be applied to the efficient extraction of a biochar-rich fraction. Two different techniques were tested: segregation and elutriation. The effects of the fluidization velocity on both of the processes were investigated respectively. Either tech nique happened to be ineffective, on its own, to obtain high purity biochar. However, a combination of segregation and elutriation proved to recover 78% of the biochar with a purity of 90%.

Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to harvesting found treasures, so you just have to make do. In the slightly paraphrased words of CSNY:
If you can't be with the Ash you love, Love the Ash you're with! grin

RETAT

Last edited by TatumAH; 11/14/21 06:01 PM. Reason: Add tribute to Ash

sevil regit
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
maple fungus epidemic

Maple tree malady won’t dim vivid fall colors

They wont let me copy text from the link, but this is the fungus that dropped all our Noway maple leaves months early. It didnt touch the Silver maple. It depressing to drive around the area and see so many bare trees way to early. They got mowed in as they dropped, so I dont have a front yard source for shredding into mulch and then into compost. I never ran out of leaves before. The article blames the moist early summer. My garden tender didnt need to water anything for the 10 days we were in Maine July 18-28!

I think I already have fungal rich compost forming everywhere already!

Now there is a Maple Syrup shortage as this fungus like Sugar Maples too. They have not specifically blamed much of the shortage on weak trees without leaves. I hope its not back next year, but they say it doesnt harm the tree much, but several years of that in a row with this severity infected trees cant be good for them.
I'm Probably not going to get too much sympathy for my Pray For Dry campaign!

TAT

Last edited by TatumAH; 11/28/21 05:44 AM.

sevil regit
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by TatumAH
I read that link on fungal rich slow compost, but as I'm tying to repel bad fungi rather than eliminate the bodies of relatives, Im not sure fungal rich compost is for my beds.
There is an interesting question in your situation - how to sort the fungus from the downergus, and if it is a concern. I have not seen any discussion on that amongst the eggheads I follow. A peeled eye 👁 is needed.

R. Buckminster Fuller
L
veteran
veteran
L
I’ve mentioned a book a few times - Finding the Mother Tree - about a researcher from British Columbia who took on studying soil biology in response to an industry policy called “free to grow”, which sought to eliminate the competition for nutrients, water, and sunlight in tree plantations following clearcuts. Her instinct, having grown up in the BC forests and eating dirt as a child, was that a forest ecosystem is collaborative and not competitive, meaning that reducing competition would also reduce productivity and be destructive to the ecosystem. The story is a bit of a biography, pretty heavy to science and research, and a love story for anyone with an attraction to fungi, as well as a political thriller.

I’m about halfway through and am seeing all kinds of examples and parallels to human interactions that are supportive of my “instincts” about how we should behave in our brief time alive - a natural blend of socio-capitalism that we should adapt and adopt for the human organism population.

R. Buckminster Fuller
K
old hand
old hand
K
Yes and that author gal grew up in a generational logging family. She got her PhD at Oregon state university in good old Corvallis by the way. When she first proposed the theory that trees could be interconnected through their root etc. systems it was first greeted as some New Age hocus-pocus. It is now generally accepted as being true.

By the way the movie Avatar made references to it.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
I have been rooting around the role of various fungi in compost preps to help me figure out what I should use in my veggie garden that is currently under fungal attack. I was most interested in the mycorrhizae

They come in several flavors Endos and Exos, some are specific to particular plants while others are fairly non-specific. Spores may hang around in compost, but dont grow until exposed to tantalizing roots.

I am considering seeding one of my experimental compost piles to possibly enrich the compost with mycorrhizae. I'm not sure I want to seed my raised beds with perennial grass seeds, but maybe a annual rye, clover or maybe something edible, but NOT chives. Seeding the compost pile would also provide data about presence of stray herbicides, maturation of the compost, and the presence of the fungus that causes damping off.

Fungus vs Bumgus remains a problem, and many suggest that just keeping the soil healthy promotes mainly the Fungus and inhibits the Bumgus.

The book just arrived in Tablet format, so more comments will be forthcoming.

TAT

sevil regit
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
I have been reading the Mother Tree book, and it flashes me back to one of our Boy Scout projects in the 60s. We spent many weekend days replanting the Oregon Tillamook Burn area in the Coastal Range. About a million Douglas Fir seedlings were planted by various amateur groups, and I figure I must have done 1000 or so. Time dims the details. The overall effort included 72 million seedlings hand planted. The Tillamook burn areas didnt have the same problems as this books area. First, water in the Coastal range was not in short supply in rain-forests, back then anyway. Second, glyphosate, roundup wasnt available to help until 1974. Third, only part of the area was clearcut, and the rest was just burned.
Reforestation of newly burned areas will be much difficult, if possible, due to climate change.
It has now been designated as a protected State forest, at least until it become a "working forest" again, meaning loggable.

I'm already planning on mining the natural compost from the back yard hillside to rehabiliTaT the beds I have to lie in.
TAT

sevil regit
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 39 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users