Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Round Table Winter 2021
by pdx rick - 01/26/22 12:01 PM
What's for dinner?
by pondering_it_all - 01/26/22 08:47 AM
They're saying the quiet parts out loud now
by pondering_it_all - 01/26/22 01:14 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 01/26/22 12:47 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 01/25/22 06:31 PM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pdx rick - 01/25/22 01:55 AM
Winning
by perotista - 01/24/22 11:00 PM
The long and winding road to Dumbass
by chunkstyle - 01/24/22 05:37 PM
Interesting read - maybe
by Mellowicious - 01/24/22 06:19 AM
Don't look up
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/23/22 03:23 AM
XX or XY Genome
by Ken Condon - 01/22/22 07:01 PM
Texas hostages
by Mellowicious - 01/20/22 03:57 AM
Lindsey v. Mitch: Senate cage match
by logtroll - 01/15/22 05:11 AM
Complexity Science
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/12/22 06:34 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/02/22 04:21 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 12/31/21 01:56 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,812,176 my own book page
4,876,744 We shall overcome
3,999,213 Campaign 2016
3,637,941 Trump's Trumpet
2,890,415 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,670
Likes: 20
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,670
Likes: 20
I like your altitude ... if a politician commits a crime ... well .... sheis .... he is above the law

WTFF!!!!

Might as well make it a true Darwinian death match and say everyone is above the law and hand out loaded guns .... fire when ready Gridley

And thats what is wrong with America today .... no one is responsible .... no one is accountable .... certainly a recipe for complete destruction ....

now where are my small nuclear devices???


ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,670
Likes: 20
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,670
Likes: 20
Let's see ... obstruction .... it's provable

Al Capone was convicted of tax evasion .... heaven forbid it was such a lowly crime and to make that statement seem almost inconsequential ... he was also serving time for contempt of court


ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 15,982
Likes: 34
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 15,982
Likes: 34
Originally Posted by Greger
Quote
We will be frakked for many years to come.

I think that's pretty much a given at this point, don't you? You think somehow prosecuting more political enemies will nip it in the bud?

So let's not even bother trying them?
Okay, that leaves few options, none of them legal, but all incredibly feasible.


"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,655
Likes: 27
Moderator
Carpal Tunnel
Offline
Moderator
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,655
Likes: 27
Originally Posted by Greger
Obstruction is all you've got now, it's all you had then. It wouldn't fly then, it won't fly now...

You can scream obstruction from the rooftops and it still won't fly.
Originally Posted by Greger
Quote
We will be frakked for many years to come.

I think that's pretty much a given at this point, don't you? You think somehow prosecuting more political enemies will nip it in the bud?
I object, my friend, to your characterization of the circumstances. Indeed, it would be hard to be more wrong.

First, obstruction of justice is a serious crime, punishable by 5-8 years in prison, as is seditous conspiracy. Both have occurred here.

Second, the characterization of "political enemies" is a mischaracterization. They are not "political enemies", they are criminals. Just because they are of the other party does not make them less subject to prosecution. Just because one party engages in politicalization of the judicial process (see, Bill Mitchell, Bill Barr, Jeffrey Clarke), does not mean that all prosecutions are politically motivated. You are succumbing to a political talking point, and not in a good way.

Were the insurrectionists of January 6 merely "political opponents"? No. There is no basis for ignoring illegality merely because the miscreants are of a different political party. That way madness and chaos lays.

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 12/08/21 07:55 PM.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,670
Likes: 20
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,670
Likes: 20
Quote
a political talking point
The logical conclusion for that TP is no politician of any party should be prosecuted for any crime committed while in office, since it would imply the opposition party was simply seeking revenge on political enemies. I am still waiting on any reporter to ask the question the next time a Republican spews this garbage.

It is as you say ... a crime is a crime regardless of political affiliation. Like I have said many times, had any Democrat done what Trump did while occupying the WH, I would have called for that person's impeachment at the bare minimum, if not filing criminal charges.


ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,652
Likes: 47
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,652
Likes: 47
It's not that that I think the obstruction charge shouldn't be prosecuted!

It's that I don't believe you will get a conviction and will therefore present an exoneration to all involved. Kind of like what actually happened...

Let me refer you back to my original post just before the Mueller report dropped.:

Originally Posted by Greger
Well, the long wait is over. Almost. In a perfect world he would be perp walked out of the White House with cameras flashing as he is loaded into a black SUV and whisked away at dawn. But this is a world where Donald John Trump was elected president. Things don't follow a logical sequence as we would expect them to. Maybe it's a result of climate change.

Before the report drops I'm gonna bet on "No Collusion". Because to even hope otherwise would set me up for another disappointment and, frankly, I've had enough of those.

Was there any collusion? I've forgotten...because it never really mattered anyway.

Just political theater to keep us all amused and at each other's throats. Pardon me for not getting caught up in the partisan whirlwind and the "you'er with us or against us" attitude.


Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,652
Likes: 47
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,652
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by Greger
Quote
We will be frakked for many years to come.

I think that's pretty much a given at this point, don't you? You think somehow prosecuting more political enemies will nip it in the bud?

So let's not even bother trying them?
Okay, that leaves few options, none of them legal, but all incredibly feasible.

How many cases do you think DJT has in court right now? I've heard there were 2000 lawsuits of various sorts. Probably thousands more related to his taxes, and thousands more related to his presidency. We're trying.

But we're still pretty much frakked for many years to come. My point about prosecuting political enemies is that it usually wins you more enemies than friends. And loses you more elections than it wins. But if you are dead set in your righteous indignation to lock up a bunch of Republicans just to have the next president or governor unlock them and set them free and you're willing to give up years of power to do it then by all means...be my guest!

Democrats need to close this chapter and move forward. There are bigger fish to fry and a future that needs paying attention to more than the past.


Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,442
Likes: 30
member
Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,442
Likes: 30
There is no future for Democrazy if they take the house. And, I hope you will enjoy the experience of Soylent Greens, because that's where the disabled are headed under their plans. They are totally willing to kill off their own true believers, to achieve their power goals, so I dont like your chances much!

TAT


There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,652
Likes: 47
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,652
Likes: 47
Quote
There is no future for Democrazy if they take the house.

They are going to take the House so you might as well kill yourself now.

I think they're gonna take the Senate too, but Pero assures me the Senate will stand and even gain a seat.

As for my chances as a cripple, I think they're pretty good. Florida is a great place to be a retiree! I live right around the corner from the city's senior center, I'll soon have a tidy nest egg in the bank, and I have a millionaire ex-wife who still loves me...

Dude, my future is so bright I have to wear shades.


Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,442
Likes: 30
member
Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,442
Likes: 30
We will see! popcorn2 Maybe you should get some less rose tinted glasses. cool Consider possible antidepressant overdose as your mood is suddenly euphoric! grin

TAT


There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 22 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,277
Posts314,044
Members6,297
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.27 Page Time: 0.015s Queries: 36 (0.006s) Memory: 3.0417 MB (Peak: 3.2529 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2022-01-26 15:31:25 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS