Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 01/21/22 05:39 AM
The long and winding road to Dumbass
by chunkstyle - 01/21/22 04:34 AM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pondering_it_all - 01/21/22 01:35 AM
Interesting read - maybe
by Mellowicious - 01/21/22 01:24 AM
Winning
by perotista - 01/20/22 05:14 PM
Round Table Winter 2021
by pdx rick - 01/20/22 03:05 PM
Texas hostages
by Mellowicious - 01/20/22 03:57 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 01/18/22 04:01 AM
Lindsey v. Mitch: Senate cage match
by logtroll - 01/15/22 05:11 AM
Don't look up
by jgw - 01/14/22 10:42 PM
Complexity Science
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/12/22 06:34 PM
What's for dinner?
by pondering_it_all - 01/02/22 09:37 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/02/22 04:21 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 12/31/21 01:56 AM
Gimme some of that good ol time religion
by pondering_it_all - 12/23/21 08:19 PM
F.D.A. Will Permanently Allow Abortion Pills by Mail
by Mellowicious - 12/22/21 09:03 PM
Joe Manchin thread
by perotista - 12/22/21 08:33 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,795,533 my own book page
4,862,628 We shall overcome
3,978,034 Campaign 2016
3,620,736 Trump's Trumpet
2,874,601 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
JGW, you are missing a lot of news somehow. A lot of people and companies have filed suit against Trump. Even some congress-critters for him siccing a lynch mob on them. Those two election machinery law suits are for billions! They are specific parts of The Big Lie that Trump told about the machines being rigged. He's also being investigated for attempting to commit election fraud in Georgia, which carries a hefty prison sentence if convicted. Then there is the massive tax and bank fraud case. He's got so many law suits and criminal investigations on going, fleeing to a non-extradition country is always Plan B.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
JGW, you are missing a lot of news somehow.

Yeah, TeeVee news isn't as comprehensive as you'd think, eh...?

All you get there is the long-winded version of parts of the truth. He hadn't even got the news that email was on the internet...

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Yep - you are right. There is, however, a little problem. Seems our system of courts is not really all that functional. It works but VERY slowly. The Banon thing is an example. He has now been charged and he will be tried, apparently, in July which is 7 months away. I also suspect that this is the first of a lot of appearances before they can get down to business.

I wonder, why does it take so long? Is it an attorney thing? Are they slow because their have a lot to do? Do we need more judges and courts?

Oh, I am aware of the all the suits involving Trump and have, several times, noted them. My problem, however, is the Trump track record when it comes to law suits. From what I can gather, for instance, he stretches many of them out so far that, by the time they can be tried, they are moot.

I would also think that the system could move a bit faster for those being dealt with by the Justice Department, for instance. Then we have the congressional House as well, they too seem to take years to decided anything as well. As far as I can find our congress works less than half the year and spends the rest of the time doing incredibly important stuff! Here is a link for that one: https://www.thoughtco.com/average-number-of-legislative-days-3368250

Just for the heck of it I thought I would take a look at federal judges and suits. Seems that we really need to increase the number of judges as well: https://trac.syr.edu/tracreports/judge/364/

I also found: https://fixthecourt.com/2020/06/judicial-conference-wants-increase-size-judiciary/

Last edited by jgw; 12/09/21 07:36 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Seems that we really need to increase the number of judges as well

During Trump's tenure the Senate did almost nothing but confirm judges. He also got to nominate three(3) supreme court justices! Republicans understand the importance of fast moving courts with a corporate bias.

The system works like it works because it has been engineered to work that way.

And it always works in favor of corporate interests.

L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by Greger
During Trump's tenure the Senate did almost nothing but confirm judges. He also got to nominate three(3) supreme court justices! Republicans understand the importance of fast moving courts with a corporate bias.
Trump inherited 105 vacancies - thanks, Mitch!
Donald Trump inherited 88 district and 17 court of appeals vacancies. Fourteen months later he proclaimed “when I got in we had over 100 federal judges that weren’t appointed. I don’t know why Obama left that … Maybe he got complacent.”

The reasons for the vacancies—old news to most—was the flimsy confirmation record in the 2015-16 Senate (the 114th), with its new Republican majority. Just as it refused to consider Merrick Garland’s Supreme Court nomination, it shut down the lower court confirmation process. That’s water under the bridge. But documenting how the 114th Senate ratcheted up the contentiousness and polarization of an already broken confirmation process suggests how much harder it will be to ratchet it back into something with more comity and bipartisanship. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell now insists that there’s nothing “we can do …that’s more important … than confirming judges as rapidly as we get them.” Commentators boast that “Trump has had a massive impact on the federal bench.” The Republican majority refuses to grant Democratic senators privileges that Republicans and Democrats exploited vigorously in previous administrations.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So the stupid party keeps outmaneuvering the smart party.

L
veteran
veteran
L
Maybe you have never been in a situation where an opponent had no ethical or factual limitations? It’s not the way you are characterizing it. Being smarter doesn’t work against a criminal. Nothing works… it’s a slippery slope into chaos.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Suddenly we're concerned about ethical and factual limitations in politics?

You've just declared all of your political enemies criminals.

What to do, what to do?

Lock them all up in the greatest showing of democracy in history!

J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
So, recognizing when somebody lies and commits a crime is a bad thing! Sorry, I wasn't aware of that. Amazing! Apparently, by your logic, liars are really your pals?

Interesting........

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
So the stupid party keeps outmaneuvering the smart party.

The so called "stupid" party is the party that is aligned with the oligarchs, so .... maybe not so stupid.
The stupid party is also the wealthiest party.
The stupid party is engaged in a long term goal to use the tools of democracy to dismantle democracy wholesale.
A majority of the stupid party has openly admitted that they endorse the use of violence to achieve their goal if they cannot do it by democratic means.

All of the above are FIRSTS, at least since 1861 anyway.
The problem with the other party is, many of them are still whistling "It Can't Happen Here", so as far as they're concerned, it ISN'T happening here. And the ones screaming that it is happening here are being branded as extremists by BOTH "parties", and the sensationalist profit oriented media, who never met a drama they didn't like. It's the DRAMA, not the reasons behind it, that excites them.
If they explain it too much to the people, the people will turn off the TV set and go do something about it, and the media doesn't want that, they want asses in seats and eyeballs glued to screens.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 45 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61