Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 01/21/22 05:39 AM
The long and winding road to Dumbass
by chunkstyle - 01/21/22 04:34 AM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pondering_it_all - 01/21/22 01:35 AM
Interesting read - maybe
by Mellowicious - 01/21/22 01:24 AM
Winning
by perotista - 01/20/22 05:14 PM
Round Table Winter 2021
by pdx rick - 01/20/22 03:05 PM
Texas hostages
by Mellowicious - 01/20/22 03:57 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 01/18/22 04:01 AM
Lindsey v. Mitch: Senate cage match
by logtroll - 01/15/22 05:11 AM
Don't look up
by jgw - 01/14/22 10:42 PM
Complexity Science
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/12/22 06:34 PM
What's for dinner?
by pondering_it_all - 01/02/22 09:37 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/02/22 04:21 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 12/31/21 01:56 AM
Gimme some of that good ol time religion
by pondering_it_all - 12/23/21 08:19 PM
F.D.A. Will Permanently Allow Abortion Pills by Mail
by Mellowicious - 12/22/21 09:03 PM
Joe Manchin thread
by perotista - 12/22/21 08:33 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,795,533 my own book page
4,862,628 We shall overcome
3,978,034 Campaign 2016
3,620,736 Trump's Trumpet
2,874,601 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
AOC is none of those things except good-looking. And she's a screechy orator. Her time may yet come, but it is 20 years hence or so.

I'm talking a George Clooney here, or someone like him. I had high hopes for Beto but he flamed out. We need a Mr. Smith to go to Washington...

But I've got a suspicion any candidate that fits my list can make a lot more money and have more fun in almost any other profession.

Reeps could easily go with Ron Desantis in '24 and he could easily win. He wouldn't be nearly as bad as Trump, he's a well-educated military veteran with a no-nonsense approach to governing. But he's lacking in the looks and charisma department. Also a weak orator.

But he ain't handmaid's tale material he's just an old-fashioned rock-ribbed republican. Likely he'll do a pretty good job as president but I'd rather some downhome democrat who could charm the paint off the walls with his golden baritone voice and piercing gaze would pull that rug out from under him.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
veteran
The main difference between Trump and De Santis is, one through narcissistic incompetence killed a bunch of folks, and the other intentionally killed a bunch of folks.

it's a good look for Trumpian Republicans ... serials killers .... love 'em or die

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I suppose you could just charge them both with murder, lock them up and appoint a Democrat president? That's the way democracy works right?

How did DeSantis kill folks? Vaccines are available here on every street corner. Clinics for that alternative treatment were opened all over the state. DeSantis is vaccinated, Trump is vaccinated...they have encouraged their followers to get vaccinated.

I personally don't care if every Republican on the planet falls over dead today. It would be a net gain in my eyes. But that's not gonna happen. They're gonna continue to vote whether you approve or not.

They're gonna continue to win too. Because it doesn't appear that Democrats are gonna get their heads out of their asses and seek unity or concensus.

veteran
veteran
One of the fundamental mandates of the contractual agreement between citizens and their government, is for government to provide them security. That security may be to defend from terrorists or from disease.

Following your line of thought and "logic", you should argue it is not the responsibility of government to provide anything other than notification disease exist or hurricanes are about to find landfall. Your claim is government has no obligation to provide it's citizenry any security for any calamities other than space alien attacks. If such would be the case then you should also argue we do not need CDC, or FDA, or FEMA, all being outside the purview of the responsibilities of government to provide security for it's citizenry.

However, I have a contractual agreement with the federal government. They will provide defense against enemies as well as provide for the general welfare. Certainly the public's health would fall under the purview of the general welfare. It is therefore incumbent on government to provide each individual with some security, in the form of safety measures, medicines, and treatments, when a disease which would decimate the population is found.

So how would the government ensure the public's safety? The answer does not include sitting on your hands while people are dying from your inaction. The answer does not include downplaying the dangers of the disease hoping it will go away. The answer is to be proactive and employ measures which have been long been used both in this country and foreign countries to halt the spread of disease. Simply developing a vaccine and telling people it's available it not enough. Vaccines sitting on pharmacists shelves does not halt a pandemic.

The two mentioned and many other Republican governors are complicit in the deaths of many more people than otherwise would have died. It's called negligent homicide, and for the life of me, I don't know why people have not filed charges against these derelict custodians of the public welfare.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
One of the fundamental mandates of the contractual agreement between citizens and their government, is for government to provide them security. That security may be to defend from terrorists or from disease.

I was just looking around for my contractual agreement with the government and I can't seem to find it.

Is your state and local government providing you the security in your "contract"

How bout the Feds...? Haven't won a war in 70 years but have been at war the entire time.
20 years or so ago Saudi Arabian terrorists attacked the US and killed thousands.

The US promptly attacked Afghanistan. And then Iran.

And sent more weapons to the Saudis. Who attacked Syria...or was that Israel...I lose track because I feel so fecking secure I don't even need to think about it.

I was just talking to PIA about how secure Californians are in their million-dollar houses.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Following your line of thought and "logic", you should argue it is not the responsibility of government to provide anything other than notification disease exist or hurricanes are about to find landfall. Your claim is government has no obligation to provide it's citizenry any security for any calamities.
And where exactly did I make all these claims. My claims are that the government should provide medical insurance, education, and a living wage. If it had been doing that for the last 50 years there's a good chance we'da whupped this pandemic by now and stopped electing authoritarian doofuses to office.

But the government doesn't actually provide much in the way of services unless you have corporate connections.

Get back with me on that "contract" when you find your copy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 45 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,275
Posts313,953