Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 01/21/22 05:39 AM
The long and winding road to Dumbass
by chunkstyle - 01/21/22 04:34 AM
National Commission to Investigate the January 6
by pondering_it_all - 01/21/22 01:35 AM
Interesting read - maybe
by Mellowicious - 01/21/22 01:24 AM
Winning
by perotista - 01/20/22 05:14 PM
Round Table Winter 2021
by pdx rick - 01/20/22 03:05 PM
Texas hostages
by Mellowicious - 01/20/22 03:57 AM
Gerrymandering
by perotista - 01/18/22 04:01 AM
Lindsey v. Mitch: Senate cage match
by logtroll - 01/15/22 05:11 AM
Don't look up
by jgw - 01/14/22 10:42 PM
Complexity Science
by Jeffery J. Haas - 01/12/22 06:34 PM
What's for dinner?
by pondering_it_all - 01/02/22 09:37 PM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by Mellowicious - 01/02/22 04:21 AM
Divorce: American Style
by pdx rick - 12/31/21 01:56 AM
Gimme some of that good ol time religion
by pondering_it_all - 12/23/21 08:19 PM
F.D.A. Will Permanently Allow Abortion Pills by Mail
by Mellowicious - 12/22/21 09:03 PM
Joe Manchin thread
by perotista - 12/22/21 08:33 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,795,533 my own book page
4,862,628 We shall overcome
3,978,034 Campaign 2016
3,620,736 Trump's Trumpet
2,874,601 3 word story game
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by TatumAH
Reforestation of newly burned areas will be much difficult, if possible, due to climate change.
I gave some J-Su compost fortified biochar to a couple of researchers from UNM and AZ State to dip the roots of pine seedlings in that were planted at the Las Conchas burn near Los Alamos. The interest was in improved soil moisture behavior for a better survival rate. It's too early for data at this time.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
[uote=logtroll]
Originally Posted by TatumAH
Reforestation of newly burned areas will be much difficult, if possible, due to climate change.
I gave some J-Su compost fortified biochar to a couple of researchers from UNM and AZ State to dip the roots of pine seedlings in that were planted at the Las Conchas burn near Los Alamos. The interest was in improved soil moisture behavior for a better survival rate. It's too early for data at this time.[/quote]

J-Su, Joy of Man's Desiring Compost,
fungal rich, blessed with BioChar! grin

God took away our all of our snow last night, so It's bach to yardwork making hay while the sun shines. 60 degrees here today with an unusual strong wind from the East, opposite of the usual West wind. Anyone else noticing unusual weather? I'll take this anytime, but it showed the weakness of mailbox to forces from the East. Nothing that a little sackrete wont fix, and I just happen to have some leftovers from slab repair and was wondering what to do with anyway. The strong wind is really helping the mailbox post leveling procedure! mad

The interest was in improved soil moisture behavior for a better survival rate. It's too early for data at this time

One has to be very impressed with the patience and diligence it took for the well controlled forestry research from Mother Tree! Progress was painfully slow, but so rewarding in the end.

The favorable weather is allowing a miniature downward burning stovepipe Biochar experiment later today.

TAT

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anyone else noticing unusual weather?

It's hot as feck here.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
TatumAH Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep, and that literal hot air from Florida is driving tornadoes to the North.
And we thought Florida was just a health and political threat! eek

TAT

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Only the political hot air actually originates here, the rest, like most of the occupants, are just passing through.

Last edited by Greger; 12/11/21 11:15 PM.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
L
veteran
veteran
L
Got back from the Cleveland trip yesterday evening. The travel part was grueling and I often thought about the expense, both in time&money and environmental impacts - the question "couldn't it be done by Zoom?", bouncing around in the branebox as a possibly preferred alternative.

Up at 2 AM, on the road to ABQ at 3:30 to the airport, begin masking upon entry to Sunport, the security gauntlet, the boarding c..f..k, packed like sardines for a 3 hour cruise (ala Gilligan's Island), deplane in chaos in Chicago for a three hour layover and a $75 lunch for two (a beer and fish&chips), c..f..k onto another plane packing in like tinned oysters, and one more stampede to exit the tin - a woman attempted to block my quick exit (sans the need to block the aisle since I didn't have a carryon in the overhead bins) whining loudly that I was taking her turn (I guess she desperately needed me to wait behind her in line while she fumbled for her belongings, thereby honoring some Karen code of fairness). She was still whining while getting out of her seat even though I was ten feet away headed for the exit door. (The voice of Tatoo echoing in my mind, "De plane! De plane!")

The folks at Rid-All Green Partnership (it was started by a guy with a 'green' pest extermination business, in case you wondered like I had) very courteously sent a car to take us to our hotel. Via text message with Keymah (the executive director), Marcus would be outside in the pick-up area in 15 minutes in "a black Cadillac". I relayed the info to my colleague Mike, who asked what I was thinking, "I wonder what a black Cadillac looks like these days?" Fifteen minutes later a black Cadillac hatchback (not what I expected) pulled up in front of us. Mike went the back door and opened it with a friendly greeting and a voice from inside said indignantly, "Hey, this ain't an Uber, man!" A few minutes later a Cadillac sedan pulled up that was the right one. We were astounded that there were two black Cadillacs in Cleveland, when our town doesn't even have one!

Marcus drove us to the hotel while we carried on a nonstop conversation getting to know each other better, which raised my expectations for the visit considerably. After getting into our rooms, Mike called an old friend (since 2 years old) who came and got us to take to dinner and beers in his nearby town of Chagrin, OH. Mike grew up in New York, a couple of hundred miles away. We decided to rough it by taking the stairs down from the lofty second floor, accessed fifteen minutes earlier by the elevator. Much to our mutual chagrin, both being longtime woodsmen of wide experience, we quickly became lost in the labyrinthine bowels of Hotel Indigo (about 10 minutes later we discovered that the lobby had been relocated by an unknown evil force during our explorations).There was a lively several hours with Mike and his old buddy (a lawyer in the insurance field), them spilling stories from their youth while Alice (his new wife) and I poked fun at them. The day ended back at the hotel around 10:00.

Day 2 was all Rid-All, starting with a tour of their greenhouse facilities and the 'fish house' (a large industrial building with 8 large round tanks raising tilapia and another species I forget.) As it happens, I once had a connection with the aquaculture operation where they get their broodstock, which is a bit south of where I live in the not-really-a-town of Animas, NM. There is a major geothermal feature there where someone had built a large complex of greenhouses back in the 70's to grow roses for the international market, using the natural hot water to keep the greenhouses warm in the winter. Not wanting to avoid any possible tangent for this post to wander off on, I worked for 3 years during high school at a greenhouse operation in Boise (a florist business - the old man who owned it was a famous - in certain circles - breeder of orchids) that was heated by an artesian geothermal well.

Back to Animas, the rose business shrank and several acres of greenhouse went looking for new occupants, one of which turned out to be an aquaculture venture raising talapia broodstock. Someone with a fertile imagination might speculate that I had met the great great great great.... grandparents of the very fish now growing up in Cleveland! It was a precious moment.

Since I need to get on with my day, I'll leave more of our adventure for another post. But as you can already see, the idea of a Zoom call being a sufficient substitute for achieving the desired objectives is a distant concept.

R. Buckminster Fuller
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I prefer google meet. Seems easier somehow.

Just saying............

L
veteran
veteran
L
One of the big finds of the Rid-All day was in their 'show' greenhouse (they are actually more an educational operation than a food producer - they had somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 visitors last year, most of them schoolkids), which was kind of on the hippie side, complete with a rustic table and chairs in the middle of a tropical paradise (made me want a Corona...). The main feature was a pair of combo fish tanks/hydroponic plant 'bunkbeds'.

The bottom bunks were lumber framed tanks of about 3'x12'x3' deep dimensions, lined with pond liner material - that's where the aquaponics happens. The top bunks were shallow lined tanks set on a slight slope from one end to the other where potted plants were set. The fish water was pumped up into the top bunk where it flowed around the pots, which had their toes in it via the 'potholes', giving the pot residents a continuous supply of nutrient rich water to feed on. At the low end the water drained back down into the fish tank, passing through a filter first (a simple box filled with media that can be easily changed periodically). Once they are making biochar, the filter media will be carbon. When the filter is refreshed the enriched biochar will go into the compost process, or maybe used as-is.

This design is a much better idea for our operation as we only have one greenhouse and it isn't all that large, as greenhouses go (18'x32'). I was anticipating using round tanks, which would have taken up 25% of our space for 24 square feet of tank area, but with the bunkbed concept we can do bunkbeds for 32' down each side (192 square feet of tank) without losing any plant growing space. It also expands the possibilities for experimentation. Our operations at The Old Chinese Gardens are also heavily focused on community involvement and education.

R. Buckminster Fuller
veteran
veteran
Aquaponics tends to work much better if you rarely harvest fish, and grow stuff like lettuce that does not need the nutrients that promote blooming and fruiting. Like lettuces, for example. Fish do not do well in water that has enough potassium and phosphorous to make plants mature. The one economically-feasible operation I know of was growing specialty lettuces for fancy restaurants in Hawaii.

We actually went to Epcot to see their "aquaculture facility" when my wife was studying fish pathology at Purdue, and got the "straight poop" from one of the Disney techs. It was all theater, with fish bought commercially when others died. The fish served in their attached restaurant were all Alaskan pollack. That was before people started raising tilapia for human consumption. They were still "trash fish" in Hawaiian cane and pineapple field irrigation ditches. The local cats would not even eat them.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.
L
veteran
veteran
L
While we are intending to utilize the 'fish poop water' fertilizer, the plant growing system is not true hydroponics. The technique is to place plants potted in soil in the shallow flow of the aquaponics water allowing the plant roots to be watered from below but not submerged - the plants will not be gaining all of their nutrition from the water, and the fish (actually our intended species is shrimp) will not be much impacted by plant nutrients.

Plants for combining with aquaponics.

Of course it is an experiment for us, and we expect to learn as we go.

Last edited by logtroll; 12/22/21 01:18 AM.

R. Buckminster Fuller
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 45 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,275