Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
But the thread was and is intended to give us an opportunity to get at these basic elements in a real discussion. All I am saying is that the science of human development does not support your assertion that the state evolved to protect individual rights. I suggest the evidence is the exact opposite and that only within the last couple of centuries has that concept emerged.

I seriously doubt that was the intent of starting this thread, Phil, and I think there are a number of posters now seeking to distance themselves from the discussion of how a libertarian-oriented society would work.

It is incorrect to say that I assert that the state evolved to protect individual rights. I have been clear that I support the concept that the reason for instituting government is to secure and protect individual rights. Is that a recent concept? Yes. Does that have a relevence to the existance of natural rights? No. Government does not "evolve" -- it is "instituted" by those who have the power to do so, and instituted in the form they dictate.
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos