My mom broke both her hips and had them redone in stainless steel, so her doc said she could never break them again. The problem is that she never did the work to get up and walk after that. Instead she got a power chair. Now at 91 she can't even stand up some of the time. She has two ladies in her assisted living place who get her into a wheelchair and take her to the bathroom or her power chair to go to the dining room.

Yesterday she wanted me to take her out shopping and to lunch. She got in my car fine, and got out at the barbeque pit, but for the life of me I couldn't get her 150 pounds back in the car after lunch. She ended up on her back on the pavement. (Very gently, of course.) A very nice lady helped me get her up in her portable wheelchair. Then I pushed her two miles back to her assisted living facility! Thank God we did not go far for lunch.

But that's only half the story: I have MS and peripheral neuropathy, so I can't feel anything below my shins. It was NOT FUN pushing her that two miles. But now I can't take her out anyplace. I have to face my own limitations. If she wants to go someplace, the facility has a bus with a wheelchair ramp.

The important takeaway, Greger, is even if you get a wheelchair for getting around easily, get a good walker and USE IT around the house. It totally sucks not to be able to stand up. Do exercises and keep your leg strength up. You can do partial squats while holding on to the walker for balance.