Originally Posted By: rporter314
We are dangerously close to a successful soft coup.

In 2016 Republicans held the majority in the Senate. They had the power. They preferred to say, let's hear the voters voice. It is far too crass for them to just say the truth ... they had the power.

In 2020 they continue to have the power in numerous states and in the Senate. They have the power. Need I elaborate? What is to keep them from using the power? Men of honour? Men of the law? Men with integrity?

Has anyone not heard US Senators saying there are voter fraud issues in battleground states? We are dangerously close to the unimaginable.

McConnell is a very vindictive person, that may have been payback for Schumer in July 2007, a year and a half before the end of the Bush administration stating he wouldn't allow Bush to appoint a new justice to the SCOTUS if an opening occurred.

This is what I hate about both major parties, no core values. Then in 2016 Schumer did an 180 with Garland. McConnell also did a 180 with Garland in 2016 and Barrett in 2020. Neither has any core values in my book.

If it were me, I'd have a rule for both parties that any SCOTUS nominee should have his hearing and a floor vote if nominate 6 months prior to a presidential election. Any nomination after that should wait until after the election. In other words, Garland should have had his hearing in committee and a floor vote, Barrett shouldn't have.

Now least we all forget, Barrett was made possible by ex-democratic senate majority leader Harry Reid's first use of the nuclear option thus setting a precedence for its use. So it's him we owe this debt of thanks to.

Way too many times our politicians in Washington only think of the short term political gain and not the long range prospects for the future or that what they do may be used by the other side and come back to haunt. What was Reid thinking, that the democrats would hold the senate for an eternity or McConnell and company were gentlemen and would never stoop to use the nuclear option.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.