I think one can be blinded by partisan blindness. Another example was Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid from 2011 through 2015 tabled over 300 Republican house bills without such as a committee hears. Then McConnell does exactly the same thing, tabling Democratic house passed bill and that causes the Democrats to scream. But it was perfectly okay and acceptable for the Democrats to have Reid do it. Not so with McConnell.

You're correct, no opening for the SCOTUS came about during Bush's last year and half. But I have no reason to doubt Schumer's sincerity on this subject if one did. All I'm looking for is for a politician to take a stance and stick with it on these things. Be consistent. Not to be for something when it benefits your party, but be against the exact same thing when it benefits the other party.

Personally, I think Schumer was wrong in 2007 and McConnell wrong in 2016. Then McConnell became a grade A hypocrite this year with Barrett. I rate Schumer as a grade B hypocrite since the opening never occurred during Bush. Even tossing out 2007, you had Schumer being a very strong advocate for committee hearings and a floor vote on Garland and strongly opposed to the hearings and floor votes on Barrett. That my friend is a perfect 180 strictly based on whether or not one would gain a party advantage or not. I'm just looking for constancy.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.