It takes quite a lot to get a party faithful or an avid candidate supporter to turn against them. Back in 1974 you still had 50% of Republicans and 25% of independents who thought Nixon had been railroaded out of office by the Democrats for partisan means. That Nixon was innocent. This was back in the day when both parties respected each other and for the most part worked together calmly. Before the modern era of polarization, divisiveness and mega, ultra high partisanship.

Not much has changed in folks view of Trump. All Adults, on 3 Jan 43.9% approved of the job Trump was doing, today, 9 Jan that has dropped to just 43.3%. Same dates, Republicans 87% and 85%. Democrats 6% and today, 4%. Independents, 39% and today 34%. Now it takes a week or so after an event, happening for it to become baked into the poll numbers.

Job approval isn't holding Trump accountable for the D.C. riot, but it does show how folks view him as a whole. Those numbers would have more meaning a week from now.

Now here's something else since the House is starting impeachment process.
Some 57% of Americans think Trump should leave office as soon as possible instead of serving out the remaining 12 days of his term, according to an Ipsos/Reuters poll conducted Thursday and Friday (14% want impeachment, 30% want his Cabinet to remove him by invoking the 25th Amendment and 13% want him to resign).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/20...sh=2e78d6ac3fa7

Although 57% want Trump removed immediately, the means vary. Those who want impeachment for example may not want Trump removed by resigning or another means. One never knows of these things.

Sometimes one must read deep into the polls. An example of this is gun control. To the question of issue importance, 52% list gun control as very important, 25% somewhat important for a total 77%. Just looking at that, one would think or assume 77% of all Americans want more gun control. But wait, put the question another way, do you think we should have more gun control legislation. 43% say yes, 44% say no, they want less or for it to remain the same.

On impeachment, I think the House should go ahead and impeach Trump even though the senate probably won't have time for a trial. That would make Trump the only president to have been impeached twice. Something for historians to think about in the future.


It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.