The problem isn't the filibuster, it's today's modern era of politics we entered into. The polarization, the divisiveness and the mega, ultra high partisanship. Of the straight party line vote. This is a relative new thing going back 20-25 years. Prior to that a straight party line vote was very rare if they occurred at all.

Even the 1964 civil rights bill which included a very long filibuster was more or less bipartisan with 61% house Democrats and 80% of House republicans voting for it, in the senate was 66% of democrats and 82% of republicans voting for cloture with the final version of the bill passing the senate with 63% of democrats and 82% Republicans.

Now I'm all in favor of keeping the filibuster. Now I was really peeved at Reid for his first use and setting the precedence with the nuclear option which came back and bit them in the butt with Kavanaugh and Barrett. I'm positive if the Democrats eliminate the filibuster for another short term gain, it too will come back to bite them even harder. But that's their call, not mine.

With the nuclear option a reality, I'd like to see a change. I'm all in favor of a president having the people he wants in his cabinet and heading the different government agencies. Since the Constitution states the senate must confirm, for these I'd go with a simple majority vote. It already is considering Reid's setting the precedence with his first use of the nuclear option.

Second, judicial appointment, I'd raise them to 2/3rds of the senate needed to confirm. That means more moderate judges and takes some of the politics out of judicial appointment. A federal judge would have to be supported by some of both parties. Most judicial appointments are carried by 80-20 or even 90-10 in the senate today.

Legislation, I'd leave it at 60.

The problem is our modern era of politics, where both parties try to stop anything and everything of the other party from ever being passed. No merits is given to the legislation being good or bad, just who proposed it. Somehow we have to get back to an older era of our politics and leave this modern era of polarization, divisiveness and mega, ultra high partisanship behind us.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.