I suppose looking at it from a strictly partisan view point, trying to gain as much short term political gain as possible, then it doesn't matter.

How did the first use of the nuclear option, setting the precedence for it use play out in the long term for Reid and company? Kavanaugh, Barrett.

ending the filibuster will probably have the same long term effects. Democrats will pass legislation, then when the GOP regains power, they'll repeal all that legislation and pass their own. Then the democrats come back into power and repeal all Republican legislation and pass their own. The country being jerked from far left to far right to far left again.

It doesn't matter, what will happen will happen. Now if we had leaders like Daschle and Lott, Mitchell and Dole, Baker and Byrd, there would be no talk at all about ending the filibuster. It's all about the intransigent of our current political leaders. But this seems what the people want, or do they? Perhaps it only what both major party's want. Americans or a majority want compromise and the party's working together whenever possible. Keep in mind I said, whenever possible.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/220265/americans-favor-compromise-things-done-washington.aspx

There's a reason for the ever growing number of independents as both major parties shrink. Independents have grown from 30% in 2006 up to 41% as of 12 Feb 2021. Democrats have dropped from 37% to 32% of the electorate while Republican have fallen from 31% down to 26%. I find it interesting we had wave elections in 2006, 2010 and 2018. There was one in 1994 and then you have to go all the way back to 1948 for the next one.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.