This subject has come up on another thread where it is offtopic. It seems like it should have a dedicated thread.

I think most of us learned early on that too much debt leads to bankruptcy, or a related form of ruination (with a notable exception of Donald Trump). But personal debt and national debt don't appear to have much in common. The U.S. has a big, and growing, debt that is definitely not on track to ever be paid off. My common sense has long expected that such a scenario unavoidably results in inflation - in fact, we can easily verify steady and exorbitant inflation for a century or more. What can you buy with a penny anymore (why do they even exist?).

When I got my first car at 16, gas cost 27-1/2 cents per gallon (and that wasn't cheap to me). It's now more than ten times that amount, an increase of 1000%, or about 20% per year. (Is that math right?). 20% inflation (based on the beginning price) per year, is that hyperinflation? Is anyone admitting that we have had a 20% annual inflation rate for the past 50 years?

How does this House of Illusion keep functioning?

Maybe the mass delusion that the Trumpers have so diligently brought to our consciousness is just the tip of the iceberg... eek2

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller