Ousting Liz Cheney Could Backfire on the GOP

Many Republican voters agree with her. Without them, the party risks disaster.

From Slate...

Two weeks ago, in an interview on Fox News, Sen. Lindsey Graham explained why House Republicans had to purge Rep. Liz Cheney from their leadership. “She’s made a determination that the Republican Party can’t grow with President Trump,” Graham told Sean Hannity. “I’ve determined we can’t grow without him.” Graham framed this as a choice, as though either he or Cheney had to be wrong. But what if they’re both right? What if the GOP, by becoming the Trump party, has trapped itself in a fatal dilemma? Polls suggest that this is precisely what has happened. The GOP can’t afford to alienate its Trumpist base, but it can’t afford to lose anti-Trump Republicans either. By ousting Cheney, the party is risking electoral disaster.

Poll numbers are in the link along with extrapolations of just how badly things could go for Republicans. It's my opinion that the QOP is going to face a perfect storm in 2022. They seem to believe they are destined to win seats in both houses of congress because that is the historic norm, yet they have alienated a fair portion of the electorate by clinging to the failed former president.

Changing demographics and a popular sitting president will work against them as well. If Biden can keep control of congress into the second half of his term he might serve two terms.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...