I agree that Trump was the over riding issue. I don't however looking at the total results think it was about Trump all the way down to dog catcher. Nationally it certainly was. Biden received 51.4% of the total vote to Trump's 46.9%, almost identical to his 2016 total of 46.1%. In 2016 we had 6% of the electorate vote third party, the whole electorate, not just independents. In 2020 was was cut to 1.7%. Almost all off those who voted third party against both Trump and Clinton in 2016 went to Biden in 2020. This much is clear.

Then as you stated, a lot of them who voted for Biden to get rid of Trump ended up voting Republican down ballot. Whereas Trump received 46.9% of the total vote, Republican congressional candidates 48.0%, Republican senators 51.4% not counting the Georgia runoffs which took place in January, in the governor races Republicans received 52.4%. I don't have any figures on state legislatures, but the GOP did pick up 2.

Trump was the low man on the totem pole. That should tell the Republican Party something, they must be blind as a bat or worse for not seeing this. I never gave the total results much of a thought, although I knew them. It seems the anti-Trump vote was big at the presidential level. But not as big, less of a factor as one went down ballot as the Republican share of the vote increased.

This has me wondering if I may have to re-calibrate my model for the midterms. That the Trump factor may not be as big as I originally believed. I'll have to do some heavy contemplating on that.

There is the 6% who voted third party in 2016 which fell to 1.7% in 2020. which means 3.5 of that 6% went to Biden, 0,8 to Trump with the remaining 1.7 voting third party.

Perhaps it's something as simple as some folks not liking Trump, but still adhered to the republican philosophy, hence their vote for Biden, then voting GOP down ballot. maybe I'm making this way too complicated for my own good.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.