Exactly. we pawns in this game are way to fixated on tax rates. These moneyed elites and those in congress know that. Congress can raise the top tax rates to 50%, but will also include a bunch of loopholes and other deductions to more than off set the rise in the top rate. Republican, democrat, it doesn't matter.

You could be worth billions in investments, but be cash starved. I read a couple of articles where a couple of CEO's only wanted one dollar in yearly salary. So their taxable income is one dollar while they take the rest of it in investments, stocks, bonds, real estate and other things. They can take their capital gains which is taxed differently than income and reinvest it avoiding paying the Capital gains tax.

I'm no financial guru, I only know what I read. Perhaps we need to treat all income the same. Tax all income before any reinvestment to avoid paying taxes. I don't know if that would be feasible or the repercussions of it would be. That for those who are experts in the financial sector to figure out.

the one thing I do know, we, everyone needs to stop celebrating when the top tax bracket is raised as that in reality doesn't mean a thing. It just makes a lot of us feel better with no benefit whatsoever as the moneyed elites still pay less taxes that probably anyone on this site regardless of their tax bracket.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.