According to CNN exit polls 94% of Republicans voted for Trump, 6% for Biden. Republicans made up 35% of those who turned out to vote. 94% of democrats voted for Biden, 5% for Trump, 1% third party, Democrats made up 37% of those who actually turned out to vote. In 2020 both major parties voted for their candidates 2 points higher than the historical average of 92%. Outside of the higher voter turnout for the Democrats, the percentages were almost identical when it came to voting for their presidential candidates.

And yes, 2020 was all about Trump. He was the driving force.

Down ballot, congressional, 95% of both Republicans and Democrats who turnout to vote voted for their party's congressional candidates.

Which brings me to the big difference between presidential and down ballot congressional. Independents, swing voters. They made up 25% of all those who turnout to vote. They went for Biden 54-41 with 5% voting third party. However, down ballot, these swing voters did go for the Democratic congressional candidates, but by a much lower 50-48 margin. Which I equate to the Republicans being able to pick up 13 house seats last year.

Republican congressional candidates did 7 points better among independents, swing voters than Trump did. Probably showing their dislike of Trump, but not necessarily the Republican Party. Or perhaps it was their distrust of the congressional democrats that resulted in those independents who voted for Biden, voting Republican down ballot. Or perhaps both or perhaps dumb slogans like Defund the Police. I just had to throw that in there.

I'd say Biden was pretty much immune to that, he benefited from not being Trump. From looking at Biden's overall job approval, I'd say he's still benefiting from not being Trump.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.