I really don't know. But I suspect it might be folks just getting tired of being told what is best for them by others.They want to decide for themselves.

Perhaps an example was right here in Georgia. Not the best example, but it may fit some. Back in the late 1990's when Zell Miller was governor there was to be a referendum on changing the state flag, removing the stars and bars. It seems to have a majority of Georgian's supporting it. Then we got tons of protesters from out of state demanding we change our own state flag. Money poured in from out of state for a bunch of TV and radio ads. We finally got our hackles up at being told by others what we should do, we decided it was our decision and not those from out of state. The Referendum failed. It was Georgian's decision, not out of staters.

Then in 2004 with little fanfare, no protests from out of staters the flag was changed and changed fairly quietly. Perhaps the moral of the story is let the people decide what is best for them, not having someone else tell them what is best for them.

Of course that may not be the reason, it may be because more blacks are moving out of the cities into the suburbs and becoming more affluent and thus more attracted to the GOP.

What's interesting to me is the president who white liberals think was the racist president ever, that president received the most Black votes this side of Gerald Ford. Percentage wise that is.

The bottom line is your SWAG is as good as my SWAG or any other's SWAG.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.